close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Food Allergies

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Wayne02, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Wayne02

Wayne02

Been fighting some sort of food allergy related to of all things, salad. Trying to narrow it down but it has been a bit elusive. I realize the easy answer here is to just not eat salad, but I love a green salad and can't seem to keep away from it.

What I do know:
    It happens after I eat salad. Usually the next morning after having salad for dinner. Sometimes in the evening after having salad for lunch. First comes the diarrhea, then nauseasness, then multiple trips to the bathroom to empty my stomach of all its contents, then the dry heaves during more multiple trips to the bathroom. Usually knocks me out for the entire next day, sometimes longer. On the other hand many times I can eat a salad not have a problem.

Happens with both restaurant bought green salads as well as home made. Happens most frequently with ceasar salad (nearly 60% of the time). Seems to happen more frequently with salad that has ranch type dressing on it. Seems to happen more frequently with salad made from the pre-made salad kits, but also happens with fresh head lettuce made salads (just not as frequent).

Many times I don't put a lot of extras on my salads, often times it is just lettuce and dressing, maybe some cucs, croûtons, cheese etc. I don't have any problem with any other foods, dairy, meats, cheeses etc.

This have been going on for years now and is very frustrating. If I could just narrow it down to what specific components of the salad, or type of dressing, I could still have a salad and just avoid those particular items.

Is this something a doctor could test for and give me an definitive answer? Wouldn't he have to test for all the different types of dressing, lettuce etc?

Thanks
    Wayne

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Sorry, but the main food allergies they test for are milk, egg, wheat, and nuts. I can't think of any others right now.

Food allergies are usually exhibited in your airway swelling shut immediately or a little while later. Not the next day. I am thinking you have some sort of intolerance.

I would suspect that it is a preservative in the dressing. Or a chemical "flavor enhancer" or whatever they call it now....

What happens when you eat just oil and vinegar? Or oil and lemon or lime juice (trust me, the lime is divine with salt & pepper!)?

3. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

According to my allergist it's not unusual to crave foods that we are allergic to.

Have you been to a allergist...? They have a whole myriad of food items you can be tested for. One of the basic questions they will ask you when going in for testing is what is on your diet...

Worst thing for me is Bakers Yeast, severe sinus headaches and pressures if I get to much of it. I'm also allergic to chicken, white potato's but I can eat red potato's, go figure and some others I can't think of now...

If you're sure it's salads, it should be easy enough to narrow down. Just start with your favorite green with nothing on it and gradually add to it. Keep a document of what you eat, how long symptoms take to show up and so on...

Food allergys can be tough as sometimes symptoms don't show up for 24/48 hrs and by then we've forgotten what we ate or will relate symptoms to the last thing we ate when it could have been from something from yesterday or the day before...

Call it a intolerance or allergy but if you react to something like that it's not normal. Matter of what you call it...

Good luck...

4. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Salad used to make me sick in much the same way as the original poster described. I never vomited, but salad simply would go straight through me very quickly.

I suspected the dressing and after switching from one to another to another, I quit being sick. I also would challenge the poster to switch to oil/vinegar/lime or something of the like to see what happens.

5. Miss Maggie

Miss Maggie

I have arthritis which is affected a lot by certain foods. Some of the worst things to cause it to flare up are blueberries and food additives. It's the chemical additives, I think. Anyway, I've found out that a lot of the time, I can eat the foods that bother me, but not on a daily basis. It seems like if I'll space them out with four days between eatings I can get by with eating a little without suffering any pain. If I eat the same offensive food two days in a row, I can expect an attack.

Maybe that's why some days salad bothers you, some days not.

6. hispeedlodrag

hispeedlodrag needs vacation

Sulfiting agents are used to preserve many greens (and wine) -- to which, some people have a specific allergy. Salad dressings also contain some of several different preservatives. These things together could be giving you a double dose (if this is the culprit).
    Try some organic greens with vinegar (wine vinegar may contain sulfites) and oil and see if it persists.

My $0.02.

7. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

That sounds like a definate candidate for being at least part of the culprit. Also, a vinegar sensitivity (my sister w/the new baby has many food allergies, including vinegar - which seems present in nearly every salad dressing bottle lable I've read).

My Mom used to have a hard time digesting fresh veggies, including lettuce and similar common salad ingredients. I got her to use a slice of fresh lemon, squeezed over the greens, before adding whatever dressing (or not). Lemon does help them digest - but your symptoms sound more like a reaction or hypersensitivity, than it does a digestion issue.
    m

PS. Had a thought: do you notice a difference in your physical reactions to different types of lettuce, like, "iceberg" (not really lettuce, imo, but still) vs. "green leaf" or "red leaf" vs. "butter lettuce", that kind of thing?

8. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

Same here...

9. Wayne02

Wayne02

Not that I've noticed. Most of our garden type salads use iceberg, while the Caesar salads use romain I believe.

I guess maybe I'll try some organic lettuce with the same problematic dressing and see what happens. Part of the problem is I don't write down what I eat because it is such a pain to do. This of course makes it hard to diagnose what's going on. I'll also try just some oil and vinegar or lime/lemon as well.

Not sure if there is that much difference in the ingredients of processed store bought dressings, but the Caesar dressing from the store is the one that will most often trigger the problem.

Also noticed I've had problems with fast food salads as well. As far as fast food goes I mostly eat Wendy's salads (which are pre-packaged of course) and even occasionally Taco Times taco salads will present an issue.

Thanks
    Wayne

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I believe I read somewhere that Wendy's treats their salad veggies with some type of chemical to maintain freshness. If your problem is preservatives, this could be something else to think about.

Organic lettuce is an idea, especially if it is a sensitivity to chemicals. Just be sure that it is completely orgainic. I can't remember the differences but there is some labeling discreptancies so you need to spend some time googling organic produce before you buy.

FYI: most people who work in agriculture won't eat iceburg lettuce. You would not believe the chemicals in that stuff! Unless you know something about how it is farmed, you wouldn't have a clue.

Several years ago, I had a very legnthy talk with my allergist about food allergies. There are very few true allergies. Most symptoms are caused by intollerances. I am lactose intollerant was how I learned what I know about food allergies. (Do you have any idea how many ways milk can be hidden? Or how many names there are for milk and milk deratives?!?!?!)

Something else: do you eat any other things with vinegar regularly? Notice any problems then? There is a pretty high concentration of vinegar in salad dressings. Candida overgrowth in your gut can cause the symptoms you describe. That would be irritated by the vinegar. You might want to look into a candida cleanse diet too.

Overlook any misspellings--I am battling a migraine right now so I am not really on my toes :(

11. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

Yea, like MSG...? Mono Sodium Glutamate... This wrecks havoc with some persons...:(

12. lwt210

lwt210

Aren't food allergies just dandy!!!!

I too suffer from being allergic to milk, wheat, corn, and a myriad of other things. I can lose about thirty pounds just by not eating the above mentioned things or their by-products.

But what fun is that? I'll suffer the pain and swelling for good eats.

Luckily, it appears that my son is not allergic to the same things.

Salads also tear me up something fierce. My problem is with the purple onion and lettuce. I know that they are the culprits but luv em so much.

I guess it is true that you crave the things that make you sick.

13. Peevee

Peevee

My brotherinlaw has a food alergy to shellfish. He found out one night eating at Redlobster when his throat swelled shut. He almost died before the ambulance arrived.