close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Food advice, physical conditioning.

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by frank4570, Feb 12, 2010.

1. frank4570

frank4570

I've joined an MMA gym to get in shape and also to get some skills.

A while back I had a series of injuries that took me from being in good shape to being in pretty bad shape. I'm not that fat, maybe 5 or 10 lbs, I'm just not in shape.
    I could use a list of the foods which will help me hang in there while I get back to where I was. I went to class yesterday and the exercise part just about killed me. Burpees and push ups and stuff all strung together. I don't have the strength I did, and I don't have the stamina that I did.
    I know I will get back up to speed if I just hang with it, but I could really use some help to make the transition easier. I already have a list of stuff I need to get away from.
    What should I try to eat more of? Thanks.

2. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

Veg, some fruits (beware too much juice), lean meats-chick-fish, whole grains, milk/gurt/cheeze.

There is no sense in making yourself fkn miserable with a diet that leaves you craving something or other. A wee bit of a sweet treat will not undo your work.

3. frank4570

frank4570

I have no intention of making myself miserable with a diet. But my current diet consists mostly of coffee, peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches,chocolate, and rum. So, I figure if I just start eating the right things, there just won't be much room for the other stuff.
    :wavey:
    Thanks.

4. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

My diet consists of plenty of good stuff, and there is ample room for moderate amounts of coffee and whisky, with an occasional beer. Last night supper was cullen skink, followed by dessert of Sticky Toffee Pudding. Off tae the gym in about an hour or so.

5. proactive

proactive

Good, cause there is no need to be miserable. Just make sure you start giving yourself some quality fuel for those workouts or they will catch up with you real quick. None of the above needs to be off limits.

6. BradD

BradD

Drink a megacrapload of water also. Makes a huge difference.

7. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

It really does. Counting the gallon jug of water I cart around everywhere with me and all the coffee and protein shakes, I'm generally putting down around two gallons a day of fluids.

8. frank4570

frank4570

Working on it. I've got a stainless bottle I'll start carrying around.

9. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Water to keep hydrated; lean meats and quality protein for muscle fuel; veggies to clean the plumbing and vitamins; quality fats for EFAs, energy, Omega 3, and absorption; and lots of rest for recovery. Generally, eat only foods that come in their natural package.

Food is a big part of it, but stamina comes with hard work. You just have to do lots of conditioning. Dare I say, conditioning cycles. :supergrin:

For example, if you have off days at home where you can do some conditioning drills, run a race to 50 burpees for time. The next time you do them, either beat your time, or increase to 60 burpees. Push yourself to improve the "work" you put in - either time, reps or weight; or any combination thereof.

Also, consider spending $20 on this: http://www.rosstraining.com/fullthrottleconditioning.html. It will give you ideas for conditioning drills as well as help you with a weekly template that takes into consideration your combat workout days.

10. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

1. Lean meat, brown rice, potatos, yams, green fiberous veggies, etc. Certain fruits are high on the glycemic index, yes they have important nutrients/vitamins, but if you're trying to kick that last few pounds and trying to get lean, the sugar in fruit will hinder progress just like pop and candy.

2. Eat for what you're GOING to do, not for what you've DONE (only exception is the post-workout meal). If you're going to bed, protein/veggies only, sugar/carbs will spike your blood sugar and your body while sleeping will burning off excess sugar/carbs while you sleep instead of letting your elevated metabolism burn fat.

3. Careful at restaurants, always asks HOW something is prepared, a normal potato or chicken breast can turn into double calories when they prepare it in oil/butter/lard.

If it tastes really good...you shouldn't be eating it (joking...but not really).

11. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Did I promise to be good?

12. BradD

BradD

13. California Jack

14. BradD

BradD

Could claim later that you'd been drinking or smoking crak...

15. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

16. BradD

BradD

Maybe I should get some for the next time I go for a big set. "Performance Enhancing Drug."

17. California Jack

I have been drinking a little red wine. Cutting back on the beer ya know. I'll be nice however. But really, his advice isn't too bad. B ut, what the heck is wrong with butter?

18. BradD

BradD

Isn't saturated fat inflammatory?

This is way above my pay grade when it comes to nutrition stuff, though.

19. California Jack

I believe the Weston A. Price people recommend it.

20. BradD

BradD

My mind is totally out of it when it comes to nutrition. I really need to get a good nutrition plan back online.

I went to have a business picture taken yesterday in my suit and I just about couldn't get it on because I've gained so much weight--low 180s to 197-198. The waist was comical, about 2" different I'd guess. The 17" neck shirt would just barely button and my neck was muffin-topping on top of it in the pics. Looked like it was about to pop. Jacket would barely fit also and looked pretty funny. They took a bunch of pictures and my wife found a couple that luckily looked ok. I need to lose some fat, LOL, and hopefully keep some of my new LBM. No doubt in my mind that one can gain a bunch of muscle (and fat, unfortunately) in short order by eating a thousand or two extra calories per day and doing lots of compound movements.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010