Focused Practice Pays Off

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Snoopy47, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

For a few months now I've been practicing with SIRT a training pistol. There's another thread regarding that topic. Anyway........... I've reached a personal milestone in performance improvement (as you can see from the video)

Last evening I could do no wrong. Even when I left plates standing and had to go back I was still under 3 seconds. If I can get past "performance anxiety" at actual matches I'm going to reap the rewards.

"
    View: https://www.youtube.com/embed/xk1NHe0Qjm4
    "

I don't have a recipe for HOW to practice or what is the best equipment (Simulated or Real Pistol Dry Fire). I do think think though, you have to practice. It has to be focused, and most importantly you need to know when you are doing something right and wrong. Otherwise you could end up making things worse.

Mid 2's is about my limit. When I try for faster I'm not getting any sight picture and I leave plates up.

My current BEST match plate string is 3.19 with a 15.82 as my best completed stage.

I was only hoping to get into the 12's for a completed string (or consistent low 3's) for my next goal.

Obviously, having access to a plate rack and a timer is an astronomical advantage. But I didn't get here using it. I used SIRT and LaserLyte targets as at scaled distances.

The BIGGEST benefit to last night was the CONFIDENCE BUILDER. Because until recently I could never CONFIRM my practice efforts except at a match.

Remember, the first string of last night was

"OK, lets see what happens"
    Then:
    WOW, that was cool, can I do it again.........
    OMG, I got lucky twice.
    WOW I did it again, this isn't luck
    OK, lets go for sub 2
    Well, that was a bad idea
    Lets just see what happens if I can be consistent 4 times in a row
    WOW, I can do this. I might get into the 10's

Anyway........... Where I WAS since I was last able to be timed (which was an actual match last March) and where I am now is a WORLD of DIFFERENCE. I don't anticipate a 10 at plates next match I get to, but besting a 15 should be expected.

MAJOR disappointment with LEAD FREE PRIMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was having failure to ignite problems before this. It's not uncommon in my press to not fully seat the primer (leading to light strikes for harder primers). So my MATCH ammo I quality check them, and seat the ammo a SECOND TIME with a hand primer tool. So this time for this practice ammo I did that with these LEAD FREE primers, and it still didn't help. It's at least 5% failure to ignite with a stock Glock.

Lead Free Primers are not a match grade solution :-(

PM720 likes this.
  2. ede

ede

P!ates will screw up a score but they aren't the place to win a match.

PM720 likes this.

3. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

From one of my FB posts. Note the last sentence

gssfplate.PNG

4. ede

ede

2.24 is pretty respectable. To me sub 3 seconds is great for plate run.

PM720 likes this.
  5. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

I’m far from an expert. In my limited experience, expecting anything in terms of score is setting yourself up for failure. Expect to pull the trigger cleanly to the rear and efficiently swing to the next plate. Realize that you’re getting to shoot, and it’s fun. Don’t overthink. Might surprise yourself. YMMV

6. PM720

PM720

Practice is cheating in GSSF! ;)

Snoopy47, ede and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  7. ede

ede

Seem a lot of the new shooters don't know this, or don't care.

Mr Meeseeks and PM720 like this.
  8. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

Except for MajorSub and Pocket, I think plates is where you can go NUTS. You have 5 extra shots to make up misses in 6 divisions. I see that in the results. Even the best guys slow down with only one extra shot.

I'd rather miss 2 plates and eat the 0.5-1.0 seconds to go back for them, than get a Delta or even potentially a Charlie.

I think you have to leave a plate standing for the consequences to be significant.

I've never won or lost a Division because of my performance on Plates. My closest win was by 1.5 seconds to a guy that shot 4 more seconds in additional time than myself. If he changed just one Delta into a Charlie he would have won.

I mean really, in close matches it's every shot that counts I guess.

9. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

I'm not the guy to say that to. I am data driven. I over think everything too much.

10. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

How many yards? I can break 3 seconds on my good days, but not consistently. Is that from a draw or low ready?

11. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

11 or so, from the low ready

As much like GSSF as I can simulate

Walk Soft likes this.
  12. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

I am too. But all data shows that good performance requires you to not be overthinking while actually shooting, if you want to do your best. (All that lanny basham stuff is probably correct). Focus exclusively on the task of quality, called shots during the match. Plates are more a visual than mental task. Do your overthinking between practice sessions. Chill out, have fun, and the data will show your scores to increase.

My best dry fire improvements were at 11 yards on some 6” plates.. without ever actually pulling the trigger. Just an acceptable called sight picture, transition, repeat. About 10 or 15 minutes a day goes further than long sessions every weekend. Again, YMMV.

78D5F0EB-145D-4EA5-984A-A66A8C8F8A87.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020