close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fobus Thumb Lever Holster Review

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by criticaltim, Jan 15, 2010.

1. criticaltim

criticaltim

Just recieved a new Fobus Push Button (Thumb lever) Roto holster Part # GL2DB with Belt attachment, Paddle Attachment, and Thigh Rig.
    This review will cover initial assessment and include pictures.

I ordered the GL2DB roto holster for standard frame Glocks (17,22,19,23,34,35...) with the belt attachment, directly from Fobus. I also ordered the thigh rig for the fobus roto series because my intent is to use this on my pistol belt, and not have to change holsters over when going from G17 to G35. Fobus actually sent the belt attachment and paddle attachment with the holster, so this was a plus.

All parts included appear rigid and durable. The holster can be moved from any platform to another using a single hex head bolt using the included allen wrench. The holster itself looks like a standard Fobus Kydex holster with an arm extending from the top. The arm is the Push Button (Thumb lever) retention release device which has a large (Thumb print size) Rubber Pad mounted on the top that when pressed, retracts a plastic lip inside the holster that retains the guns trigger guard.

The holster was delivered mounted on the paddle mount, so I tested this first, with my Glock 35 with Dawson precision Sevigny competition fiber optic front sight. The G35 fit well, and the holster has plenty of extra clearance for taller front sights. The pistol stays firmly in the holster when pulling up on the grip but NOT activating the thumb release. When activating the thumb release the G35 releases smoothly. (Side Note: Initially holster seems faster than my Safariland holster, and there is no hood over the back of the slide, this is important for me because I will soon be mounting a crimson trace Infra Red Grip laser for night vision operations.) The muzzle end of the G35 protrudes about 2 1/4 inches through the bottom of the holster.

Pros:
    Durable/Rugged
    Adjustable Cant (Roto holsters can be configured at any angle)
    Fast/ Easy retention release
    Fits many different Glocks due to open bottom
    Easy to change platforms

Cons:
    Retention release probably not good for LEOs, easy for bad guy to get to.
    Thigh rig is IMO very long, and not adjustable at all for height. When mounted, the gun sits halfway between my hip and knee, and I prefer to wear it just low enough to clear my body armor.

Attached Files:

2. criticaltim

criticaltim

I'll figure this attachment stuff out sometime...

Attached Files:

3. Tru7h

Tru7h

Leg mount...ick. The rest looks sweet. Have you compared it to Blackhawk's system?

4. criticaltim

criticaltim

No, haven't tried the Blackhawk Serpa, and the only reason is because I have drawn from thumb break, and Safariland (thumb hood) for so long I was hoping to use something around the same style for muscle memory, but after a bunch of practice draws today it looks like I'm going to have to try the Serpa (Going to borrow one first) or see if I can modify/cut away some of the safariland hood to allow use of the grip laser.

Tried a ton of draws from the Fobus today to get it down before I go live this weekend. I had some real issues with the Fobus. Besides the thigh rig being way too low for my personal tastes with no room for adjustment, there were several times that pushing down on the retention release button did not release the gun. First, I noticed that when I applied alot of force to the button, the holster would actually rotate a bit on the mount. To remedy this, I just tightened the bolt down, when this didn't help, I tightened more, to the point of being afraid I was going to strip the threads, or break the polymer. Even with all the tightening, I still had problems with the tension button not releasing the gun. I took the holster off the thigh rig and put it on the belt rig and it seemed to work fine. I put the hoslter back on the thigh rig, and the problem was back. I think the problem lies with the pivot point on the thigh rig. There is a pivot point (you can see it in the pictures) about halfway down the rig that the manufacturer says is for comfort and to keep the rig secure when walking and sitting. I believe that sometimes when I'm pushing down on the release button, the rig bends at the pivot point and doesn't allow the button to go down all the way. There were actually a couple of times when I pushed the button down to what I'm sure was all the way, and it would not let my gun go.... I had to push, and wiggle, and yank to get the gun out. This is the correct holster for this gun, based off of the model number on the holster itself. So I'm pretty much chalking this holster/thigh rig combo as JUNK.

5. toddmog

toddmog

+1...I don't even use my standard fobus paddles at the range anymore. You can do a lot better for not much more money.

6. G36Packer

G36Packer

The ROTO stuck out too far for me to conceal easily. The holster portion is now bolted to the underside of the reinforced ashtray using a slightly longer screw. It has always released.

The angle is better for the thumb release than it would be for the Serpa release.