Glock 17 Fobus Paddle Holster for G17/G34 too tight?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JVMHGF, Jul 3, 2004.

Tags:
  1. JVMHGF

JVMHGF NRA Life Member

I just received my Fobus Paddle Holster for my G34 and the fit is seems tight. So tight that I when pull the gun, it feels like I'm going to rip my jeans off, but the gun breaks free before that happens :cool:.

Is it normal for the holster to be that tight?

There is probably a break-in period, right?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. WFO2

WFO2

my G17 fit real tight in my Fobus so Tight I do not like it picked up a new Kydex at the show this weekened with a speed cut and adjustable tension like it a lot better...On the other hand my Fobus for my 1911 works fine..........

3. Yar

Yar

Yes that is normal. The fobus holster is not well suited for competition. Any of the $15 bladetechs, unkle mikes, or Galicos would be better. Look for something with adj tension.

4. Joe D

Joe D Guest

The $15 Blade-Tech is one of the best buys available. It is fully adjustable and positions the gun the lowest of any holster I have tried. Fobus holsters really are junk.They should be called FUBAR holsters.
    I would stay away from the paddle holsters also.

5. cwood

cwood

With a little work.

I got one for my daughter to use in IDPA and she she experienced the same difficulties discussed above. Being a tinkerer and a cheap skate, I did the following:

Drill out the rivets on the trigger side of the holster. On one hole you will need to drill a corresponding hole in line through the paddle which is big enough to accept your screwdriver.

Get a couple of thick O-rings or rubber gromments.

Go to Tandy or other leather store and get some small brass screws with decorated brass nut/spacers such as is used in leatherworking.

Get some Locktite

Size holes where rivets were removed to accept decorated nut in the outside portion and the screws on the inside portion of the holster (this is why you drilled a hole in the paddle).

Assemble with the grommets between the inner and outer portion of the holster pieces. Apply Locktite and tighten to desired level of retention.

Since you can break loose the Locktite bond, if you later want to change the retention level, it is easy to do.

It has worked very well for her and looks good and only cost a couple of bucks, too. You can spray them black if you do not want the brass accents on your holster.

I hope this helps someone.

6. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Put your gun in a sock and ram it inside the holster. Let it sit overnight. Once it's loosened up to your liking wipe down the insides of the holster with armour-all or something similar.

FWIW, the Uncle Mikes is equally cheap but relatively better than the fobus. ;)

7. Big_Jim

Big_Jim

I've never had a Fobus that fit to my liking. We spend about $600 on a gun, why not spend more than $20 on a holster.

8. JVMHGF

JVMHGF NRA Life Member

Sounds like I should have went with anything BUT a Fobus, according to the responses.

Thanks for the insight. :)

9. AggieMax

AggieMax DFW sheepdog

I used an Uncle Mike's paddle holster and was pretty pleased with it. But it still stuck and like you, I felt like I had the holster/gun up around my armpit before it released. I have since purchased a Comp-Tac locking paddle holster for my G17. It is one of the best holsters I have ever seen/used. Yes it was expensive (about $65) but IMNSHO it was money WELL spent. Even if you don't spend as much as I did, spend a little more than $20, you will not be disappointed.

10. gary newport

gary newport

I consider Fobus holsters to be good value for the money. The paddle version holds the gun closer to the body than some other holsters (for example, a Sidearmor OWB or an Uncle Mike's Kydex belt holster). If the holster is a bit tight, spread the trigger guard area with your thumbs to open it up a little. If that doesn't do it, try mc_oliver's suggestions.

Also be aware that Fobus works best with a brisk and straight draw. If you pull slowly or cant the gun during the draw, you will most likely give yourself a wedgie! :)

There are better (Kydex) holsters, but they cost much more.

11. ducati

ducati

I have several fobus holsters, the paddle ones. I like them for range holsters. Never had a problem.

12. 4eyes

4eyes Provocateur

Soften it up with a hairdryer and then put the gun in and move it around.

Drill out the rivets and put spacers into the holes and rerivet with a pop rivet.

Either method works. You don't have to do this with Blade Tech or Uncle Mike's $15 holsters.

13. eljay45

eljay45 NRA member

To bad you did all that work just to make her holster illegal for IDPA.

14. Bullitt

Bullitt

Armor all works wonders on plastic hosters, even Fobus.

15. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Eljay,
    Would you like to explain why that is illegal in idpa? Or are you just a hit & run poster? ;P ;e Of course there is always the rule of the day or whatever it's called where the s.o. can decide it is ok for his match. Right? MLM

16. eljay45

eljay45 NRA member

Sure I'll explain. In IDPA it is illegal to modify a holster in any way. Check out the first paragraph of page 16 in the LGB

17. Big_Jim

Big_Jim

HOLSTERS AND AMMUNITION CARRIERS MAY NOT BE MODIFIED AND THEY MUST BE USED IN THEIR ORIGINAL FACTORY CONDITION FOR IDPA COMPETITION.

Yup, there it is.

But, lets be realistic, its for a kid. In my experience I doubt if anyone will notice or complain, shame on them if they do. Its important to get the kids shooting, escpecially the girls.(I have two). Unless the kid is a contender for top shooter, encourage her. Any body that is that nit-picky needs to be slapped.

If a grown man (or woman) is trying to gain an advantage by modifying their equipment, that is a different story. Most newbies are given some slack, this gives them time to see if they like the game and to get the right equipment.

18. eljay45

eljay45 NRA member

Jim, you are absolutely correct, it is highly unlikely that anyone would catch the modifications mentioned. But if we are going to start our children in the shooting sports then why not start them off following the rules. I doubt that cwood took the time to modify the fobus just so his daughter could shoot one match to see if she liked it.

19. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

How about we play the devil's advocate here & say ok, what does modifying mean? Does that mean adjusting the tension screws on a holster that has them? They were set from the factory, I think if you adjust them, that is modifying your holster. What about using armor all or silicone on them or heating the kydex ones? That is modifying them, also. If you do anything to your holster to make it work better than it did when you got it then you modified it. What is the big deal? Oh yeah, it's in the lgb, I forgot. It's all in the perspective. Changing out rivets for screws? Come on, be realistic. That, like lots of other things is another silly rule. If cwood bought the fobus not realizing it didn't work as well as a different brand, then he fixed it so it does work as well, but you won't let him play because of the lgb,what kind of stupid rules are we playing by? If the holster is unsafe, don't allow it but if it works & is safe, throw the rule away. Why don't you guys just make it a rule that we only buy "approved" equipment from Bill Wilson? That really appeals to a beginner. Oh yeah, the members of idpa have no voice at all in what the rules are, do they? I guess you can't change the rule. MLM

20. eljay45

eljay45 NRA member

You sir are just looking for an arguement. Any idiot can see the difference between adjusting screws and replacing rivets with screws.
    You talk about "the rule of the day" like every club and SO plays by whatever rules they like, now you advocate bending the equipmnet rules as long as it is safe. Which do you want, consistent rules or "the rule of the day"?

IDPA is a game that has rules just like any other game or sport. I doubt that any competitor agrees with every rule of their choosen sport, yet they abide the rules. Until the rules change they are all we have to ensure that everyone is treated fairly. If you can't stand them then maybe you should find a game that you like better.