FNS 9 question

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Benello, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Benello

Benello

When cleaning and reassembling my new FNS 9, is it like the Glock in that it shouldn’t matter if the firing pin is forward or back (safety plunger depressed or released) when putting slide back on frame right?

You have to pull the trigger to get the slide off, which will depress the plunger though when I clean I usually manually cycle the firing pin via the tab and that makes the plunger pop up. This should be fine to mount back on the frame right? Or should I be pushing the plunger down for the for the firing pin to be forward again as it is when it comes off the frame during disassembly?

2. Benello

Benello

No one knows eh?

3. Majestic9C1

Majestic9C1 You're Going to Love my Nuts

whats the instruction manual say?

Bus007 likes this.
  4. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

I've owned an FNS-9 and cleaned it numerous times. I've never felt the need to cycle the firing pin during the cleaning process. I've never had a problem putting the gun back together.

If the gun won't go back together after you clean it, you're doing something wrong. Stop doing it.

Great choice on the FNS-9 BTW. It's F'N fantastic.

CBennett likes this.
  5. The Kid

The Kid

The pistol field strips like a glock, the only difference being I had to pull back on the slide a hair to move the slide forwards off the frame after the trigger was depressed, other than that very easy. It should go right back on with no issues...

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Read the manual. I’m pretty sure that FN engineers know how to strip and reassemble their own gun designs.

7. kjphilippona

kjphilippona

Your FNS-9 should be just like my FN 509, it will assemble either way!

Benello likes this.
  8. Benello

Benello

Thanks for the replies. The manual doesn’t say anything about the striker or plunger position. I was just curious after I did it if it mattered, which after a call to FN this afternoon, it appears it does not. I was just trying to wrap my head around the mechanics of it to see if it would impede with the striker not forward, because with the Glocks it really doesn’t matter (albeit early on it can be smoother with the striker forward until gun is broken in).

Even aside from the fact that yes, I know manually cycling the striker via the tab is unnecessary (I just do it to check the spring tension and wipe the channel out some), one could indeed accidentally push the striker tab back just cleaning and then pop the plunger in the process.

I never had a difficult time getting the slide back on, just wondering if I should have done it one way or another for the possibility of less wear and tear on the parts.

Either way it’s a classic case of me overthinking it I think again :)