close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FNP 45 USG or HK 45?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Laszlo, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Laszlo

Laszlo

I want to buy a modern .45 next. I`ve narrowed it down to this two. What are the pros and cons of both? Experiences? Likes, dislikes?

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  2. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

You really cannot go wrong with either. I perfer the HK USP .45. If you like DA/SA, its good. If you want DAO get the Glock 21sf.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Both are good, but I prefer the HK.

4. Boats

Boats Not Assimilated

I'd go for the FN because I have had my fling with H&K, been there, done that, was not terribly impressed. The FNP-45 USG in Dark Earth is on my acquisition list.

There are a lot of 10 round .45ACP pistols out there, not so many that can do 14 or 15+1.

5. up1911fan

up1911fan

The HK45 is probably the best polymer 45 on the market. A compact is on my short list. The M&P45c is a really nice gun as well.

6. jp3975

jp3975

I like the HK better personally.

Ive shot an HK USP[.45], Tactical, and the FN.

7. daddysnapmuffins

daddysnapmuffins

8. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

I've had both (none now). Seriously was not really impressed with either (after the initial euphoria had died down). I'd give the HK45 (not the USP) an edge on the grip, with the FNP45 the edge on mag capacity. Other than that, blah.

9. amblackm

amblackm

I prefer the FNP-45. Reasonable cost, 14+1 or 15+1 magazine capacity, great customer service, and they are made in the USA.

Andrew

10. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

Last year I had an itch for some .45 shopping. I was getting close to buying the FN, I tried out the HK and also the M&P. :yawn:
    I could not make up my mind so I thought of getting another G21 but grabed an STI :supergrin: instead

11. Bruce M

Bruce M

Don't you have to be an "Operator" to get a H&K ??

12. Larry V

Larry V

May I cast a vote for Si P220. Very accurate and soft shooting!!

13. Iceman cHucK

Iceman cHucK

I have 2 FNP-45USGs and 2 HKUSP45s one of which is a 6"Elite. The HKs will feed everything. The FNs are great hardball guns but are a little finicky feeding +P and certain wide nosed hollowpoints from my experience. Others on the FNForum report having no issues. For hardball only I like the FN for its 15+1 capacity. Both guns operate the same which is why I like them. Really like the 1911 style safety which allows Condition 1 carry if you so choose, or decocked with safety either on or off. The FN controls are completely ambidextrious. FNP is several hundred dollars less expensive if that matters. If the FN fed everything to my level of expectations it would be my top choice.

14. mdfd

mdfd

The grip on the FNP seems much bigger than that of the HK45...For grip size as well as capacity, it seems the USP45 is a closer comparison. However, I'd still give the nod to the HK45....

15. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

FNP-45 (non-USG) owner here. Good gun for the money, although I have had some feeding issues with mine. Some slightly out of spec. WWB caused improper stacking of the rounds in the magazine.

IMO, the magazines are the weak link. FN needs to add some anti-tilt legs onto the followers.

Otherwise the gun is very accurate and soft recoiling. Trigger is decent in both SA and DA. The downside is not alot of people make holsters/sights for them and the gun is very large, not really good for CCW.

Guess I'm an "operator" then. :upeyes:

16. reaper8154

reaper8154

Way to contribute to the thread...:upeyes:

To the op.

I am a little biased because I carry an HK45 on duty. Real night sights are available for them now as well as more holster options. My HK has been 100% after roughly 3-4k rounds. There is a thread on HK Pro where one guy was up to 15k rounds on the HK45 with zero malfunctions or parts breakage.

The FN is a fine gun too, but the mag capacity makes it HUGE. I don't own one, so I am not sure about availability of holsters and other accesories.

Bottom line is that they are both good guns, but for me the HK has the edge.

17. The Outrage

The Outrage

My FNP-45 USG had loads of failure to feed issues with various hollow-point cartridges (Gold Dot and HSTs). It took two trips back to the FNH factory and was ultimately replaced with a new pistol by FNH. I do not consider the design to be reliable enough for serious consideration.

I have a Glock 21 which has functioned perfectly with every single type of round I've placed in it, has less perceived recoil despite a lower weight, sacrifices only one round in the magazine when comparing flush fitting magazines (the 15 round FNP-45 magazine has an extended floor plate), and it costs less to boot. I had considered the HK45 but I couldn't figure out any reason why it cost nearly $1,000 and only held 10 rounds. The double action trigger is among the worst in its class IMO.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  18. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Straw Dog

I know a lot of people will disagree with this, but IMO HKs feel cheap. Although the HK 45 is a significant step up from the USP IMO when it comes to this. I would actually take the HK 45, but by a small margin and I really wish it had a better trigger. I really don't think HKs are worth the extra cash and should be closer to 6 or 7 hundred for their most expensive models.

19. freeride88

freeride88

I'm an FN fan, I carry an FNP-9 daily.

20. glockmancustom32

glockmancustom32 ~Guns pick me!~

I like what FN has done with there 45acp, but I use to own an HK45 and I really liked it and there was no issue at all, I got rid of it because of the size and got a HK45C instead and I have to admit its been my favorite gun since.....

HK45 all the way