close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fnally took my new S&W 442 to the range today!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by UrbanCowboy, Jan 23, 2010.

1. UrbanCowboy

UrbanCowboy Koch Addict

For Chrismas my girlfriend bought me a S&W 442 No-Lock which I have been been dying to try out and so has she. So today we were finally both able to make it to the range for lady's night. I decided to start off with a cylinder of the 135gr +P Gold Dots I carry as my SD ammo. I have to say I was very surprised at how much recoil it had. Then I loaded 5 rounds for her to shoot (it was only her second time shooting any firearm). Needless to say she put the gun down after firing it and said "that really hurt my hand". I had also brought a 50rd box of regular Remington UMC FMJ to practice with and although it wasn't as bad as the +P it was still a handfull and she really didn't like it too much better. I do like it much better than the Kel Tec P3AT I use to carry as a BUG. I feel much more confident with it as far as reiiablity and it doesn't seem as snappy. Being it is my first revolver I knew that I wasn't going to shoot it very well my first few times out, so I only shot it between 3-7 yds. I did manage t keep all my shots center mass rapid fire at 7yrds though. I planned on letting her use my 442 when she got her CCW until she got herself a S&W 642 but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Next lady's night I am going to have her try a few different guns to see what SHE likes. Hopefully it will be a Ruger hamerless SP101 since it weighs twice as much hwich will help recoil and can fire .357 magnum (for me to play with). She Likes my H&K USPc but I would preffer her to get a revolver so she can fire it from inside her purse needed . We'll see what she decides on. I am now a fan of the J Frames and actually revolvers in general. There is something about them that i have always liked. Hopefully my next one will be a NIB Royal Blue Coly Python with a 1978 manufacture date but I have yet to find one. The closest I've come was made in 1977.

2. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

3. carbofan21

carbofan21

they certainly can be a handful at first, especially with +p ammo. she'll probably enjoy shooting the sp101. maybe you could try some 148 grain wadcutters at first to build up her confidence.

4. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

Best accessory for an S&W J-Frame that gets carried? Crimson Trace LG-405 Laser Grips. They're GREAT, in the fact that not only do ya get a laser, but you can use an HKS 36-A Speedloader with it getting caught up on the grips, as the Crimson Trace's are cut for a speedloader from the factory. They also have a rubber pocket that covers the backstrap, so your hand isn't impacting bare metal during recoil. Check some out.....here's the Crimson Trace LG-405's on my S&W 438 Bodyguard-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. R*E

R*E

I put a set of Pachmayr compac progrips on my 442 and it completely changed the way the gun felt. It's slightly longer, I can get my pinky on the grip and it's much easier to control the recoil.

http://www.pachmayr.com/compac-pro-grips.php

6. hhb

hhb

I bought a new 442 last year with a factory Super Tuned trigger. Sweet!

7. den888

den888

8. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame LSWCHP +P

Too me, the 442 is about the most perfect carry piece available. You get that extra weight of the solid-steel barrel & cylinder, when compared to my 3 scandium variants. I can actually fire more accurately at distance with these DAO Centennials. They also look really cool, I think.

I just recently found out you could order the non-lock versions. Apparently they found a bunch of pre-lock aluminum Centennial frames in some warehouse. Yea, right.:cool: My plans were to place an order today but we've been hit by an ice storm. Monday for sure.
    I have my 3" SP101 on me right now. Bought my dad and brother one each also. I've planned on a hammer spur job and glass bead-blast finish, though never get around to it. But it sure looks sweet when Gemini does it-
    [​IMG]

9. Smashy

Smashy

What's the difference between the 442 and 642? Is it just the stainless/blued finish?

10. bucky_925

bucky_925

Try some secrete service grips from eaglegrips.com they make a world of difference.

11. Smashy

Smashy

Regarding what? Printing?

12. MO's Dink

MO's Dink Giant Member

I have the CT-405s and love them but you might want to try a Hogue Monogrip at least for your girlfriend.It helped huge with my wife. They are only 25 bucks and really make J frames a lot more managable. One of the great things about J frames is all the choices in grips.

13. bucky_925

bucky_925

I think they help with recoil, more than the rubber grips that came on mine.

14. zakarop

zakarop

Had a 442 Ladysmith in satin that hard times forced me to part with. As soon as I was able I replaced it with a pair of 442s in matt blue. Great little guns.

15. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

instead of a 15 oz centennial, i've settled on original model 36's with 3" barrels @ 24-25oz for my daughters .

They settled, I should say. They both shoot them better than the airweight, and they never got a chance to shoot anything but 125gr SJHP +P. (that is, without PAYING for it, a foreign concept).

Probably 1/3 the felt recoil, (really, do the math) and for the record they LIKE the little square service butts. I even offered to roundbutt convert them and they wouldn't go for it.

So, try one out and see if the woman likes it, it's definitely a friendlier J frame, and still fits in a purse.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  16. UrbanCowboy

UrbanCowboy Koch Addict

That's good to know. I was considering the Lasergrips mainly for my GF but I may still get them for myself.
    I really like the 442 over the 642 as well. I think the no lock versions aren't available in the 442 only the 642 now. At least that's what I heard from a few different dealers. And the Gemini SP101's are just plain beautiful. That's one of the reasons I hope she likes the Ruger because I always wanted to have one sent out to Gemini for custom work. Unfortunatley it's just too big and heavy for me to pocket carry but it would be perfect for her in a Galco purse.
    The 442 has a matte aluminum alloy frame and a blued carbon steel barrel, cylinder and yoke. The 642 is all stainless.

17. UrbanCowboy

UrbanCowboy Koch Addict

To everyone else, thank you for your suggestions on some of the different grips available for it. At least now I can narrow down my search since there are so many.

18. TMann

TMann

Actually, I think that he opposite is true. I've seen a couple of new no-lock 442s in the local gunshops, but I've yet to run across a no-lock 642. Either way, they're great guns.

If you and your girlfriend like the size and feel of the 442, but want something a bit heavier (ie. less recoil) you could always try the 640. The earlier 640s were .38 special only, while the later ones were for .357. The .38 special guns are a lot cheaper than the .357 models, since most people want the .357 version.

TMann

S&W 640 in .38 special:

[​IMG]

19. Berto

Berto woo woo

I love my 442 and it's IMO one of the very best you can get for a pocket gun, but its very qualities are what make it one of the hardest guns to learn too, so it's no surprise the girlfriend had a hard time with it. It's not a beginner's gun for sure.

I like the Sp101 as well.:supergrin:

[​IMG]

20. TMann

TMann

Berto: I like your taste in revolvers. :)

[​IMG]