Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear from owners and former owners of FN Herstal pistols. lately I have been considering adding the FNP-45 to my collection. I would like to hear the pro's and con's. Are they reliable? Well made. Would you purchase another? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
The 2 FNs I have purchased (FivenSeven and PS90) were well built great guns. I have never owned any of the FNP series but have never heard a bad word about them either. Most folks rave about them so I would guess they are good to go.

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
Decent quality, fit and finish. Though I think that they need to get off their high horses about the prices of some of these plastic phantastics they are trying to sell. Is it a wonder that the Bullpup, the SCAR and the 5.7 Pistol aren't exactly flying off the shelves?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
They are very good guns!

I like Glocks better!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I answered a similar question on another site recently, so I'll just copy and paste that reply instead of typing a new one.

<table id="post614689973" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_614689973" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(217, 217, 217);">I have an FNP-9, it's a pretty nice gun with one flaw, the trigger design. Not only is the trigger plastic and pretty thin, allowing some flexing, but it also barely has any curve. When the trigger is at the SA position, the bottom of the trigger is already back behind the top of the trigger, meaning there is no trigger under your finger, it just drags along on the bottom of the trigger guard. The trigger guard also curves up right in front of and behind the trigger when in SA position, so right before the trigger breaks my finger hits the curve in the guard and pulls the front of the gun down slightly, causing all my shots to go low. Then my finger gets smacked by the recoil and drags across the guard again when resetting the trigger. Shooting more than 50 rounds at a time results in a pretty sore trigger finger, and I have to stop and move my finger back up on the trigger after every shot or I keep shooting low, it's really frustrating. I have heard a few other people complain about the same thing, but the vast majority of people who have the gun love it, so maybe my hand just fits the gun weird or something. It's a shame because it is a really nice gun, especially now that they're down to $400 again.

</td></tr><tr><td class="alt2" style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px; border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(217, 217, 217) rgb(217, 217, 217);">
</td><td class="alt1" style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px; border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(217, 217, 217) rgb(217, 217, 217) -moz-use-text-color;" align="right">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Decent quality, fit and finish. Though I think that they need to get off their high horses about the prices of some of these plastic phantastics they are trying to sell. Is it a wonder that the Bullpup, the SCAR and the 5.7 Pistol aren't exactly flying off the shelves?
I was under the impression that they were pretty strong sellers in their respective market. :dunno:

I think the FS2000 and P90 are "fairly" priced but maybe on the high side overall. Maybe street price of $1100 for the PS90 and $1500 for the FS2000?

The Seven is a great gun and I would love to see that at the $600 price point. I think sales would really rocket at that price.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I own a fnp9 and it is a great gun. The only cons that I can think of, are the mags are expensive and the decocker is loud.

I got mine for a great price, otherwise I would have an od g19 to accompany my g19

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input

·
Registered
632 Posts
I got one of the .45's for Christmas and I like it. It seems to be a well built gun, have not had any issues the couple of times I have taken it to the range, and thought for the money it was a good deal. Coming with three magazines was quite nice I thought. It does not have that much recoil which is great because my wife likes it and the main reason I wanted it was to be our home defense handgun.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Methinks you're regurgitating nutnfancy's complaints about the gun.
actually yes I did watch that video. But I am not a tactical person so the decocker isnt really important to me, but it is still loud. I just really want to buy 2 or 3 more mags. But its damn hard to find any for under $35

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
The FNP-45 deckoker was a PIA, every round was a direct hit to my thumb knucle, got rido of it because of that!

·
Leonum A Ignis
3,381 Posts
I have the regular FNP-45 (non USG, non tactical) and I have a few likes and dislikes with mine.

I like- The trigger, very nice in both DA and SA. The DA is pretty light and the SA is short and smooth for a polymer pistol. The gun is also very accurate and soft shooting. Thanks to the ambi controls I can ride the decocker lever while firing with my thumb without fear of decocking it unintentionally.

I dislike-
The fact that I cannot shoot WWB FMJ from this gun. It will not stack properly in the magazines (load 3 rounds and you lose tension on the top round). FN is aware of this and others report having the same issue. They blame the WWB for being out of spec and suggest using Federal ammunition instead. Mine does work great with Federal, but I don't like being restricted to ammo choice when I own Glocks and HKs that will eat anything.

I also dislike the cheesy way the backstrap mounts, a plastic tab that locks into the backstrap, as opposed to being held on by a drift pin. On one occasion, I have had the backstrap come loose on mine while shooting.

Overall it is a nice gun for the money, but if I didn't already own the FNP-45 (and I would take a huge hit by selling it) I'd rather have a USP or HK45. With accuracy being a tie, the FNP certainly has a better feeling trigger and more capacity, but IMO the HK's trump it in almost every other respect.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks 4 life.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
my ffl dealer and i purchased a fnp9 just for the price. jerrys sporting center had them with 3 16rd stainless mags for 376. i didn't want one but for that price, and the fact that my buddy was bugging the crap out of me, i bought one. somewhere in this world some military uses them because the add stated military overrun. i don't like da/sa but at that price i couldn't pass it up. i've put maybe 750 rds thru it with no probs. solid gun, easy maint., and plenty of firepower. i just could never figure out whose military uses them. and visually, it's not a bad looking firearm either.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I like my FNP-45 Tactical...I bought it to try out the mounted red dot sight...specifically the Trijicon RMR (mine is the LED model)...I like it and find the pistol appears to be high quality...full MSRP is way high but what they sell for in the real world (especially with rebates) they are nicely priced...I will echo H&K 4 Life by saying I find the back strap mount kinda cheap but once you find the one you like (it comes with 4) you may probably never change it again)...

...as for Winchester White Box...some have reported issues but so have other pistols...I can't see fully blaming FN for Winchester's failure to keep their bullets within spec...FN may just be too tight on tolerances but that is not necessarily FN's fault that they won't properly feed WWB...I don't use it anyway...

Bill

·
Leonum A Ignis
3,381 Posts
...I will echo H&K 4 Life by saying I find the back strap mount kinda cheap but once you find the one you like (it comes with 4) you may probably never change it again)...
Mine only came with two backstraps (arched and flat). I pretty much decided I like the arched one and have considered using a little super glue on it since I never change them.

...as for Winchester White Box...some have reported issues but so have other pistols...I can't see fully blaming FN for Winchester's failure to keep their bullets within spec...FN may just be too tight on tolerances but that is not necessarily FN's fault that they won't properly feed WWB...I don't use it anyway...
While I have no problem with using Federal, I don't think any pistol considered to be a "combat handgun" should be ammo sensitive. The WWB is technically in spec, as it works fine in other handguns. The very same rounds that would not even load into my FNP-45 magazines loaded, fed and fired flawlessly in an HK USP Compact .45.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts