FN FNX-9 Range report and Review

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by PlayboyPenguin, Apr 23, 2012.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

I bought my first FN 9mm pistol. I have always stayed away from them because I just wasn't sure they were a good quality gun, but the features and price eventually lured me in and I had to give it a try.

You can see the results by watching the video review of the gun below if you are interested.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym0W26Q99WE]FN FNX-9 Review & Range Report - YouTube[/ame]

2. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Congrats on the new FN! I've just recently picked up a new FNS-9 and I gotta say that it took me a while to figure out how to get the trigger to break properly for me, but it's a real keeper for sure!

How is the grip for you? I found it to be a little aggressive, and was thinking about putting a Hogue or Pachmayr boot of sorts on it to keep it from digging in so much.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on a great pistol :cool:

4. Decguns

Decguns

FN puts the most aggressive, curved backstrap on the pistols from the factory. I found it to be a bit too agressive for my tastes. Changing out the backstraps is where you discover the cheesy plastic clip that holds the backstraps on. Not only is the clip easily damaged, it really doesn't hold the backstraps in place. After swapping the backstraps a few times, and shooting the pistol, the backstraps have a lot of vertical play in them. A dab of RTV will hold them solid. A sorry design feature. At least they copied the Browning Hi-Power grip profile. Very comfortable.

The trigger pull also has a noticeable hitch at the beginning. You won't notice it just setting there on your man chair thumbing the hammer back and pulling the trigger. You have to move the slide reward to reset all the gizmo's attached to the trigger bar as if the pistol was actually being fired. Then you get to enjoy the moosh, hitch, then click you get actually firing each round. Double action trigger pull is on the HEAVY side too.

As far as the 9MM version goes, it's HUGE. This pistol really started out life as a 40S&W. The grip, magazine and slide are much larger than you need for a 9MM. The slide even features a huge lightening cut on the interior to reduce mass for the 9MM. The magazine catch, nub, whatever it is doesn't seem to be that durable to me. Only time will tell.

I like my FNX-9. Carry it in a FOBUS paddle holster every day. But it could have used some refinement before being launched. For the hefty price tag, I expected more.

5. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

FN makes quality stuff, nice opening on the video, many of us can have a bias towards on gun or another and you dont often see many videos that compare and not have it lean a certain way they want, Hickok45 is one of the few I enjoy because he has been pretty fair in comparing guns.

:50cal:

6. Dubble-Tapper

Dubble-Tapper

I agree, i got my two tone FNS-9 and i love it. no loose backstraps with mine. plus stock triji night sights. very accurate, and a trigger im getting used to.

7. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor

Congrats! I have 3 FNP40s, black, silver and OD green. They're excellent handguns.