Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with any experience with the FN Five-SeveN Handgun in 5.7 x 28 pistol (or rifle). Can you even buy it in the USA? Ammo?

·
Registered
30,467 Posts
I have the pistol. It's not uncommon, just a little expensive. Always the guns and ammo are at the gun shows.

Equipped with a Streamlight laser/light I use mine for a nightstand gun.

·
Nuclear Trunk Monkey
3,514 Posts
Anyone with any experience with the FN Five-SeveN Handgun in 5.7 x 28 pistol (or rifle). Can you even buy it in the USA? Ammo?
Yup. Here's mine.

Ammo is relatively cheap, too. About $20 for a box of 50; cheaper than .45 ACP where I live.

·
Banned
195 Posts
This will probably go unanswered because people can't believe you are serious with the question. Use the search- lots of threads on this.

Yes you can buy it in the USA. Even places like Cabela's or Gander Mountain carries both the rifle and handgun. There are two types of factory ammo commonly found at said mentioned outlets as well. Specialty ammo can be bought on-line.

The bigger question for most is why would you want one? $1100-$1200 for the pistol, $2000 for the rifle and the ammo is around $20/box.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's all new information for me. I just found out about this one. I've always liked the small 22 caliber rounds. Never seen a ultra-small rifle cartridge in a pistol like this. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I fired one for the first time last weekend. Recoil is about the same as a 9mm in a steel gun, but I was very surprised to find the sights back on target much quicker than normal. Nice gun, not really sure what it's for though.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I like the idea of a light, full size pistol that load up 20rd in the mag and very low recoil. From what I hear, reloaders really can have fun with that caliber.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
They are very cool, they do make more sense in the context of how they were created (as a sidearm to complement a P90), but they are worth checking out on their own too. If a wife/gf wanted an SD/HD weapon but didn't like recoil I would suggest it for that too (low recoil + power + accuracy + magazine capacity).

Edit: The stopping power has been proven in the real world (unfortunately by BGs).

·
Premium Member
7,584 Posts
Yes to both your questions. However the ammo available to civilians really limits the pistols potential and intended use(to penetrate body armer).

I would not buy one, if you have a spare $1000 I would get a 1911.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
I like the idea of a light, full size pistol that load up 20rd in the mag and very low recoil. From what I hear, reloaders really can have fun with that caliber.
You can do the same thing with 9mm and pay $21 at walmart for 100 rounds. 33 round mags are readily available as well.

And the guns half the price.

If I were rich, id buy one. Theyre interesting guns and fun to shoot.

As for the rifle...you might consider an AR first if you dont have one.

They're great though. Especially in full-auto and its the best suppressed gun ive ever shot. All you can hear is the brass hitting the ground.

Quieter than a Ruger Mark II with integrated suppressor.

·
Frisky!
35,981 Posts
Have a two-tone.
Fun to shoot.
Lots of bulk ammo now.
:supergrin:

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Yes to both your questions. However the ammo available to civilians really limits the pistols potential and intended use(to penetrate body armer).

People complain because the miltary ammo is unavailable to them and they can't take on "armored" targets.

Problem solved - buy a .30-30.

The most potent real world projectiles in the 5.7 cartridge are available to anyone at the local gunstore - JHP or polymer tip.

·
TheGreyEclipse
1,924 Posts
I'd like to have but I never will.
I wouldn't suggest buying one if you're on a budget either. :dunno:

·
Deplorable
3,947 Posts
I have a Five-seveN and a PS90. Both fun guns, but too expensive. I had to have them though.

The handgun is super light and easy to shoot quickly accurately. It makes you feel like Tom Cruise in Collateral. A really fun to shoot gun.

Ammo isn't hard to find. WalMart doesn't carry it though.

·
Deplorable
3,947 Posts
One thing to consider is reloading. The handgun and the rifle are delayed blowback designs. This lets the case stretch about 1/16 of an inch and decreases case life. I think you get about 3 reloadings versus 10 or so for a straight wall case.

I believe the 5.7x28 must be reloaded carefully too. The slightest amount of gun powder can make a big difference.

I haven't reloaded in decades, but that small case mouth is probably not as fun to work with as a 9mm or bigger round.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts