close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FN FAL .308 Clones?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Restless28, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Restless28

Restless28

What are your opinions on the FN FAL clones? Cetme?

2. Line Rider

Line Rider

DSA is the only FNFAL I'd consider. As for the CETME I get a PTR-91. DON'T a CAI or CIA rifle.

3. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

A cetme is not an FAL clone. It's another .308 rifle.

There are two FAL clones that are worth anything. The best is a DSA (either SA58 or STG58 or some variant thereof). The other is Entreprise rifles built on Imbel receivers. There are also many very good small business FAL-smiths that are better than either company. Avoid Century.

There are a few Cetme/HK G3 rifles out there. The best is obviously a real HK91, but PTR-91 is usually held in high regards. I hear good things about Vector, too. Stay away from Hesse or any associated companies, and Century (CAI, CIA or whatever they stamp on their guns now).

I own a DSA SA58 and really like it.

4. striker6126

striker6126

A friend has a cetme and loves it as long as he shoots military ammo. He has shot a few wal mart rounds and had to have the broken shell removed twice.

Can not comment on the fal as DSA is the only one I have experience with and it runs great.

5. 1gewehr

1gewehr

DSA and Entreprise make excellent rifles. The original FN-made FALs imported by Browning are artistry in steel. Factory-made FALs were imported by Steyr, GunSouth, Armscorp & SAC (Argentina), Springfield Armory (Brazil) and some smaller companies. But don't discount rifles built up on kits. There are Century FALs with many thousands of rounds without issues, and I have a rifle built on a Hesse receiver with well over 10,000 trouble-free rounds.

If it's not a name-brand, insist on a shooting test before buying. You are looking for not just proper function, but also inspect the fired brass for excessive headspace or unusual marks. A normal FAL will dent the brass as it ejects it. One dent in the side is not a problem. Look for flattened primers, torn rims, and lengthwise scratches on the brass.

Barrel changes on a FAL are a PITA, so make sure it has a good bore. Aside from that, parts are cheap, and readily available. All your questions can be best answered by experts at FALFiles.com.

6. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

DSarms is the only FAL I would buy. I have one and it was well worth the big price tag! With FALs you get what you pay for, so buy a FN, or buy a DSA. They rock!
    [​IMG]

7. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

I own four FALs. One is a German G1 built on a DSA lower.

[​IMG]

Another is a DSA SA58,

[​IMG]

an Imbel on an Imbel GL logo receiver,

[​IMG]

and a Lithgow L1A1-F1 (PNG copy) built on a DSA inch receiver.

[​IMG]

I also own a PTR-91KP.

[​IMG]

I really like my FALs. The G1 is a blast to shoot. The DSA is solid as a rock. The Imbel is a fantastic shooter. Really smooth. The L1A1 is a solid, beautiful, and very accurate. The PTR is not even in the same class as the FAL. It is, however, a very solid and robust weapon to shoot. The roller action is extremely durable, but you also have your share of recoil.

8. Line Rider

Line Rider

I'd forgotten about SA / Imbel. I wished I could find one of those guns.

I remember that first FN made FAL I had ever seen. It was at Aero Marine in Birmingham AL about in 1981. It was a beauitful gun with a walnut stock. If I remember right it sold for about $600.00 in 1981. A Colt Python NIB sold for about $400.00 and a S&W 686 was about $275.00 in 1981 dollars. I was a senior in high and looking for a job. So I couldn't afford to look, to let a lone buy a FAL. I had read too much Pistolero magazine. Lordy, that was a magazine. :rofl: