FN 509

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by beaversgs, Jun 1, 2020.

1. beaversgs

beaversgs

Curious what folks think about the 509 (basic model). I'm looking at buying/trading into one that has better sights and trigger. I had an older 5" FN 9 that I really, really liked until I started outrunning the trigger before there was an Apex for that. I like the way the new FN fits my hand better. I'm getting tired of waiting for the 5" that probably will never materialize. Right now I've got a stock 4.7" Sig 320 9mm with X5 frame that I really, really like. This would be a possible replacement or back up for a match gun. What say you folks?

GregB

P.S. I'm not looking for recommendations on other 9's right now, so thanks, but no thanks. Just want to hear personal experiences with the gun/platform.

2. Matt VDW

Matt VDW Millennium Member

What sort of matches would you be shooting?

3. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

Don’t have a 509 but I do have a FNS longslide 40. It’s not terribly impressive. Grip angle and accuracy are fine, but honestly, the trigger kind of sucks.

4. beaversgs

beaversgs

Yeah, I'm pretty forgiving on triggers, but when I outran it twice on the same stage, it was time to shop. There are apex kits for them now though...

I use it for IDPA, 3 gun, and an occasional steel or USPSA match. In IDPA I always liked to shoot stock service pistol, so I didn't have to spend a bunch of money on trigger and/or magwell, and mag extensions.

However, given that I already have an X frame and would like to use the magwell, the idea of a aftermarket trigger on the 509 is okay since I may or may not touch the trigger on the 320 (I'm not sure how much better it can get given that I'd have to spend $100-$200).

If I bought a 509 or another FN, I'd definitley want a new/better trigger. This one already has that, so I'm intrigued..

5. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

FNS and 509 seem like nice pistols but by the time you upgrade to Apex trigger and striker, I don’t know, might be better off with something else. I got mine for a song so I don’t regret buying it but if someone offered what I paid for it, it would be gone.

6. beaversgs

beaversgs

Too bad it isn't a 9mm. LOL.

7. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

Lol, yeah. I’m not actively trying to sell it but if someone wanted it I wouldn’t really miss it. It’s ok, but I have come to realize that I am just so used to Glock at this point in my life that it is my striker pistol of choice. Along with Steyr, but that’s because the Steyr trigger feels like a Glock trigger.