FMJ Load Recipe Under Coated?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by DannyB, Sep 26, 2020.

1. DannyB

DannyB

My search didn't find anything. I'm setting up after ten years on the side. I have some Red Dot, Bullseye and Unique I would like to use up first. Before I order some Sport Pistol or BE-86, would I be safe with an old FMJ load under these new coated bullets?

2. Scott1970

Scott1970

Lyman has some extensive load data for cast bullets, and it probably can be found online.

That said, I’ve loaded PC cast at FMJ velocity with no issues.

Intolerant likes this.

3. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

Using the same load for a coated bullet thats intended for a fmj is way too hot. Load coated like they are a standard lead bullet.

4. DannyB

DannyB

I assume there is more friction?

I have the newest 50th Edition Lyman book and there aren't any 115 gr. loads for lead. It goes from 90 to 120 gr. Plus I have some FMJ already anyway. I may just use up the Red Dot and Bullseye for something else.

I plan to load some shotshells as well. I'm sure the Mec is still set for Red Dot because that is all I ever used.

5. Taterhead

Taterhead

Cast data is suitable coated lead. Absent that data, midrange jacketed data would be a reasonable max.

6. fredj338

fredj338

Bullets are not plug & play. Fmj, jhp, lead & plated, all diff results with the same powder charge. If your current load is around midrange, you can swap bullets but coated lead or lead or plated will be faster. No it is 't friction per say but malleability. A lead bullet is easier to squish down the bore, as the bullet squishes, it seals the bore better. Jmo.
    Fwiw, you can always use heavier bullet data foe lighter bullets. Reddot is a sleeper choice for really good accurate loads in any service caliber. You just cant get max vel with it, same for BE.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  7. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

I
    If you're shooting a 115 and the only data you have is for a 120, roll with it. 5gr different in bullet weight is gonna be negligible.

fredj338 likes this.
  8. DannyB

DannyB

I kind of thought that could be the case. I figure that is the plan.

After monkey-ing around with a recipe almost thirty years ago and blowing up a S&W 36 I have been a by the book man ever since. I put about a 1/2 load of Red Dot under a button nose wadcutter for a super light load for my wife to shoot. On my second shot it blew the top strap off. With the muffs on I didn't even know it. I tried to fire a third round, only to discover what happened.

A much more experienced loader friend of mine explained a detonation to me and that was the end of that.

9. fredj338

fredj338

Exactly what is "about 1/2 load" of powder? With fasr pistol powders, you can go from mild to wild in 4/10gr. There is no "about" when measuring fast pistol powders.:burn:

George Kaplan likes this.
  10. Taterhead

Taterhead

Detonation, as in too light of a charge causing an explosion? Ballistics professionals have tried to reproduce that theoretical problem in labs. The conclusion is that the theory of detonation has no merit.

More likely explanations include a squib followed by another round. Speer refers to this as a low pressure event causing a high pressure event. Or a double charge -- very easy to do in a 38 case.

judgecrater likes this.
  11. DannyB

DannyB

Yeah, I've read about those lab experiments. The barrel was clear. I don't know anything other than what I was told then, which was a long time ago.

I don't remember what "about a half load" could have been. I haven't loaded 38s since about then. I was new at this at that time and probably had the mentality that anything less than the recipe was fine--wrong.

I never heard anything like mild to wild over 4/10 gr. However, because of blowing up that gun I am especially careful with fast powders. That's the real reason for my original question about the coated bullets. I'll be using fast powder for these target loads and want to do it right.

I'm about to teach my son and a friend of his to reload once all set up again. I'm not sure where that gun is after all these years. I'm going to look for it though to put on the wall above the reloader for these guys to see as an example of what not to do---monkey around with a recipe.

12. FlyfishermanMike

FlyfishermanMike

Stick with cast or plated data. You could work towards FMJ data but you'll probably hit your desired velocity sooner.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Greg Snyder and fredj338 like this.
  13. noylj

noylj

If you are going to shoot lead bullets, get load data for lead bullets.
    Lyman and RCBS have/had lead manuals.
    Hornady sells lead bullets, so there is lead bullet data in their manuals.
    Not sure how many lead bullets Speer makes any more, but you could check their manuals.
    PS: you already have great powders, and new does not mean BETTER.
    I could even try to help you if I knew what cartridge and bullet weight you are loading.
    Load data is basically broken down into: jacketed, lead/plated, frangible, and monolithic copper bullets. Within each of those four categories, load data is good to go.

14. DannyB

DannyB

I think I'm going to run through the Bullseye first in case powders get scarce again. That leaves the Red Dot and Unique for shotshell. I've found enough data online for my coated lead that is on the way, not to mention a couple thousand FMJ I already had.

I could let this cause me to over think all if this if not careful. It was said above that Red Dot is a sleeper choice for good accurate target loads. Back when I was really shooting a lot Red Dot was my go to for everything. I like simplicity. I don't even why I have the Unique or Bullseye in the closet. I must have read something a few years ago when I was about to set up shop again, but never got around to it. Store bought was too cheap to mess with this.

I loved Red Dot for 1200 FPS / 1 1/8 oz. 12 gauge skeet loads. You can take a shotgun barrel that is nasty from store bought promo loads and shoot a couple of Red Dot skeet loads to clean the barrel.

15. Mike L.

Mike L.

Alliant powder has some data for Acme NLG coated bullets in their manual. It's available online at their web site.

16. sourdough44

sourdough44

I’m usually between lead & jacketed data when loading ‘plated’ bullets. Some of the companies had some info on their web sites, if not load data at least speed limits. No need to search out a max with plated bullets, reliability, accuracy & safety are paramount.

Taterhead likes this.
  17. fredj338

fredj338

I shot #s of Reddit in 45colt in CAS & in 45acp. It works great with lead bullets & coated are still lead. Its just not a powder for anything iver midtange vel loads in most calibers. It doesnt meter great but well enough to make good safe ammo. I still have about 4# as my fall back powder should my other choices be out of stock.
    As to mild to wild in 4/10gr, just pick a caliber in the loading manual & look at fast powder data. You have to be very careful measuring fast powders in small volume cases.

18. DannyB

DannyB

The man that taught me over thirty years ago used mostly Bullseye for pistol. He taught me to weigh an average of several drops. I landed on Red Dot simply because it fit about everything I did, from 12 gauge skeet to pistol.

I'm not sure what everyone else does, but I will multiply the load by five. I'll then do five drops for an average to get my load measurement. So far, knock on wood, I have had no more accidents with the Dillon 550 since my major screw up guessing at reduced loads.

19. collim1

collim1

I load my hi-tek coated bullets using lead data.

I always start out .2g above the start load and stay a minimum of .3g away from the max load just to be safe.

That puts my 45 auto loads right at 750 FPS.

In other words I use middle of the road charges for lead data.

Taterhead and fredj338 like this.
  20. CBTENGR

CBTENGR

I have not reloaded with coated bullets yet. I do reload with plated bullets quite a bit. I always start with load data for lead round nose bullets of the same weight/shape if I can not find specific load data for plated bullets. I usually end up somewhere in the middle or close to max with lead data for my plated bullets. I stay away from warmer FMJ charges with plates bullets.

I would definitely stick with data for lead for your starting point when using coated bullets. You can always work your way up watching for issues.