FMJ for self defense - IF NEEDED

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by SamP250, Mar 20, 2020.

1. SamP250

SamP250

So, the shelves are getting cleaned out quickly these days at sporting good stores and gun shops.

I have practice ammo. 9mm, .40 cal, .38 special.

I found a box of 150 Winchester 115 grain, brass jacketed/lead core. Steel shell casing, it says. In other words, practice ammo, right?

Yes, I do have some hollow point rounds. Not many. But I'm trying to figure out if I need to make a mad dash to the ammo section tomorrow, at Cabelas or wherever.

If 9mm is all sold out, as well as .40 cal, then I can pop the 357 Sig barrel in my G22 or G23, and will likely be able to find 357 Sig defense ammo, since it's not as popular, I'm hoping anyway.

I know that practice ammo is likely to pass all the way through. It can possibly hit an unintended target or person. It will leave a small wound channel - nothing like a hollow point or other good defense round. But still, it will do some damage. If push comes to shove, and practice ammo is all someone has, then that's all they have, right? What are some possible consequences, other than pass through to an unintended target?

Lt. Donn likes this.
  2. bac1023

bac1023

JHP ammo generally expends all its energy into the target. Target ammo typically causes a lot less damage and, if it passes through, is only expending a fraction of its energy into the target.

pizza_pablo likes this.

3. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

Armies all over the world use it. Better than a sharp stick.

4. 9L0ck

9L0ck

It will work. But you should still be able to find defenses ammo at a reasonable price.
    Another reason to stock up (200-500rds) on defense ammo before SHTF

5. dkf

dkf

If you have to go with an FMJ try to find some with a flat point with as big of a metpla as possible. For revolver rounds you can go with a wadcutter or SWC. I'll load my own cast bullets with a good sized metplat before I use FMJ.

For 9x19 I would stay away from 115gr fmj for any defense use.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    jk_226, Intolerant, treg and 5 others like this.
  6. 5.4 Shelby

5.4 Shelby

It is more effective than throwing an empty gun at him.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  7. banger

banger

Full Metal Jacket has slain MILLIONS of people on this ball of dirt for over 100 years.

Good enough for the military's of this world.... good enough for backup ammo.

8. Goldstar225

Goldstar225 NRA Life member

If it's what you have, that's what you use. I have less 9mm hollowpoints on hand than I thought but plenty of 40 JHP. After the panic passes I'll correct that.

Glock 17L likes this.
  9. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

I’ve seen a lot of dead people that will tell you that target ammo works great

10. njl

njl Crusty Member

Just imagine you live in New Jersey and FMJ is all you're allowed.

11. VTEC214

VTEC214

If you are gonna ask the bad guy to wait till you load your self defense rounds because your firearm currently has ball ammo loaded, your crazy. If thats all you have to defend you and your family use it.

12. Lil

Lil

Leave now, get in line. Every time I shoot somebody with FMJ they turn and laugh.

13. SamP250

SamP250

No man, I'm crazy. My plan is to explain all this **** to the "bad guy," and ask him to cut me a break since all I have in my 33 rd mag is FMJ rounds. I'm sure he'll understand. Don't you think?

14. SamP250

SamP250

So you shoot them in the ass or the back, and they turn and laugh. Do they say anything intelligent, or just laugh?

Intolerant and pizza_pablo like this.
  15. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Not as good as a quality JHP, but it’s still a bullet. They won’t like getting shot with it. At least you won’t have to worry about under penetration.

You defend yourself with the ammo you have, not the ammo you want.

16. SamP250

SamP250

Jersey ****. San Antonio is the 7th biggest city in the nation, and we have Mexican Drug Cartel shootings all the time, not to mention the normal crime. They bring in automatic weapons using tunnels at the border.

rayzer007 likes this.
  17. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Energy has little to do with wounding, at least in pistol ammunition. Not just my opinion, but of those in technical branches of LE and of the ammunition designers who supply LE agencies (specifically those who designed the Gold Dot and HST).

In pistol ammunition, it pretty much comes down to permanent (crush) wound cavity and penetration, and energy has a minor role in these factors.

But I will certainly agree that "range" ammunition (FMJ, RN, etc), is generally not very effective in stopping a threat quickly, because of the minimal crush cavity; of course with the understanding that "pistol calibers" are marginal in stopping a threat before harm can come to the defender.

fredj338 and TheDreadnought like this.
  18. Terry G

Terry G

.45 in 230 Grain FMJ. It's been putting some very tough people down for over one hundred years.

CanyonMan, glock1991, VIS07 and 20 others like this.
  19. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

That is simply not true.

Tommy Gunz likes this.
  20. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Any ammo that fires is better than an empty gun if you are being attacked. Certainly wouldn't be my first pick, but a magazine full of FMJ or a cylinder stoked with lead round nose would certainly defend you if called upon.