Flying with kids for the first time in a few weeks

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock!9, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Glock!9

Glock!9

So, I am flying for the first time with my 3 kids. I am not exactly sure what to expect as i have not flown since 2005.

I really do not want to be arrested for knocking out a TSA agent that touches my kid...

I have read the horror stories, i assume they are few and far between but i dont know.

Also, what identification do they need to fly? I looked it up and it seems like they don't need anything...am I wrong?

2. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I would chill out to start. I've encountered literally dozens of helpful, friendly, usually hysterically funny TSA agents all over the country. The grumpiest I found were in Seattle. They wuz GRUMMPPPAAYYY!!! I felt like I was entering Customs from Afghanistan or something. Otherwise, even when "strict" they were helpful and funny.

I flew with my 3 kids 2 years ago. Boston and Orlando. No problems at all.

I think they need birth certificates. I've forgotten - wifey is the go-to person for that data.

3. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

What airline and what day? I am trying o avoid flights with children.

4. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

I always use my kid's passport and never have a problem.

5. Dennis in MA

:rofl::rofl:

C'mon. If they are the right kids, you get 3 hours of in-flight entertainment for free. My 5 yr old is hysterical and could either keep you laughing for an hour OR start talking about model trains and put you to sleep in about 3 min.

6. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

My last effing flight from Germany. 3 damn kids for parents. They only bought three seats and were going "hold the other two" in their laps for an 8.5 hour flight. At least 5 hours of the flight was screaming and the other 3.5 was running around. The airline should have never let them board as at least one of the lap kids was obviously too big/old to be a lap passenger.

7. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Children should ride in the cargo hold. Or their parents should be required to buy me Jack Daniels bottles whenever they're on a flight with me. Take your pick.

But really, what ever happened to slipping your kid an antihistamine or some Dimentap before a flight if they're gonna be a screaming, rowdy little ****? I mean its your kid, you KNOW if its gonna be bad. Have some consideration for those around you if you lack the ability to control them.

But the TSA has really eased up, Glock!9. Not on their regulations, but on their demeanor. And they're ripping out some backscatter radiation machines, so it may be as easy as take shoes off, walk through metal detector, put shoes on, board plane. Or they may get groped...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  8. Glock!9

Glock!9

We dont have Passports for them, my kids wont be a problem for anyone.
    We get compliments from strangers at restaurants regularly on how good they are. one time we had an older couple thank my kids for NOT ruining their meal lol.

9. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

I had all the free drinks I wanted. Didnt help. I had a cold and couldnt get tanked. I was drinking water and hot tea. Also, customs in USA get cranky if you show up having too much in flight alcohol.

10. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Drinks always help me. Plus, if you order a few bottles in-flight, they usually move you if possible. Once, at 10:30AM, I got moved all the way to the back of the plane so I couldn't hear the screaming infant and I was out like a light after a few bottles. Woke up to some gal next to me talking my ear off, infinitely more pleasing than a screaming child. :supergrin:

11. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Things change on an airplane if they are small. They cannot equalize pressure in their ears (screaming actually helps equalize) and it causes them pain.

My kid flys really well, but she has been flying since about 18 months (and long flights). But I am VERY conscious about what annoys other passengers because most of my flying is without the family and I know what is annoying.

12. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

Please don't sit in the row behind me. I don't want to have to give you and your kids the stink eye when they keep kicking my seat. If there was one time I agreed with Dana, this would be the time.

13. Glock!9

Glock!9

Haha, guys they are 7, 9 and 10...People around me will thank me for the kids not kicking their seat when we get off. Plus its only a 2 hr flight.

14. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

ah. so they are big enough to reach the seat in front of them easily.

15. NickSR

NickSR

We fly every year with our kids who are now 4 and 5 years old. They love the experience and know to take security seriously and answer the agents questions.

The I.D. we bring for them is a copy of their birth certificate (which is rarely asked to be presented).

This year the children did not need to remove their shoes. This may seem like a small thing, but it is a huge help to parents. Why is it so hard for kids to get their shoes on?....

Children and their parents are not required to have a full body scan. We just walked through a metal detector. If the children are small, the parents can carry the child.

For the flight, we brought gum and coloring books for the kids. At the end of the flight, the passengers around us thanked the children for thier good behavior.

Glock!9, I hope you have a good trip and I know your kids will be excited to fly. There should be nothing to worry about as the agents seem to cater to the needs of children.

By the way, we traveled from MN to Miami.

16. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

Beat me to it.

17. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

[​IMG]

Maybe take a bus or drive yourself? If you're willing to be arrested just going through the flow of getting on an airplane, I would probably just stay away from them all together.

18. Glock!9

Glock!9

Thanks for the input!

19. Dennis in MA

Fudge that. Every single one of these complainers was a kid once, too. And I'm sure they weren't perfect freakin angels every moment of every day. :upeyes:

Do your best, relax, have a good time, and let the grumpy old me yap.

About 15 years ago, we took a flight with my first - 18 months old at the time. I had this HUGE video camera. It was one of the ones that looked like a big photo camera with a BIG screen on the back. We video taped a few hours of Sesame St and my daughter spent the flights to and from watching TV. She was no trouble at all and we got to rest as well. She was, and is, my most energetic child.

20. Glock!9

Glock!9

I should have known it wouldn't take too long for someone to make a stupid comment.

If anyone started to touch my child in an inappropriate manor i would be very angry and yes i would most likely lash out, that does not make me a badass, it makes me a father.