close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

flying to gssf match

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mcad33, Jan 12, 2005.

1. mcad33

mcad33

might go to the boulder match and was wondering what i have to do in order to bring my glock with me ? also can i bring my shooting bag with gear and ammo? any help would be great thanks

2. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Check with the airline you will fly to see their policies. They should be all spelled out on the web.:)

3. FrankCO

FrankCO

Separate, lockable case for pistol (though you should expect to be asked to demonstrate the firearm is unloaded at the ticket-counter). This case, after demo, is tagged and placed inside another piece of your CHECKED luggage. Ask for a curbside referral if you can from a Skycap - this speeds everything up a lot (you usually go to the front of the line!).

Ammo must be in factory style boxes of fiber, wood or metal (oddly, no plastic permitted!) with rounds separated so that it can't rattle against itself and go off (I guess!); technically the round limit is 300, but as long as you are polite and correct in other respects, you are more likely to know this than the checker, and I've never seen it enforced.

Always alert the security and airline folks immediately but politely and discreetly that you are traveling with a firearm - as a general rule they have (peculiarly to my mind) been far more accomodating since 9/11 than they were before; go figure!

4. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I put my guns in a good locked metal gun case and then put the locked gun case inside a locked suit case. In the same suit case I have my ammo in factory boxessecured inside the insert to my large range bag. I also have my empty mags and hearing protection in the same bag. I donot carry my large range bag because of space. The airlines usually limit you to 12 lbs of ammo as a general rule of thumb. Of course you must declare your weapons at the ticket counter and they will have you open the case an show they are safe then you lock it back up and you maintain the key. Of course your guns will be in the baggage compartment and not in the aircraft cabin.

You should check with the airline you will be flying because each one has a couple differences. Their web site should have a area that explains their rules for carrying weapons.

5. FrankCO

FrankCO

Almost forgot: if you are thinking of flying to the Boulder City match and are shooting in Unlimited or Master Stock and are any damn good - STAY HOME! :)

6. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

You may need a hard suit case? Ask the airline first.

7. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

COME ON IN........THE WATER IS FUN AT THE DEEP END OF THE POOL!;) ;f
    Dan:cool:
    PS: I hope to meet you at Boulder City!:)

8. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

9. FrankCO

FrankCO

Why do I feel like cannon fodder?

Hard suitcase has NOT, repeat NOT been required the last few times I've traveled, though I think hard case for pirtol IS.

Dan: Please don't hesitate to introduce yourself if you can pick out our group: four guys and two or three gals, mostly G22s but one has BoMars - maybe that will be distinctive enough? There will probably be a lot of laughter and impolite pointing going on around us...;z

10. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Here's a picture of Don and I.......will be wearing red "Team Carver Mounts" shirts and blue caps! Don's in the middle holding a folder and I'm second on the left(next to the good looking tall guy)! How's that Tony!!;)

Dan:cool:

11. Clem

Clem

I guess, out of that picture, I'm the tall guy! ;f ;f Donna & I will be in Boulder City for the match, and I WILL NOT forget my Carver hat this time!!;f ;f P.S. - I'll be shooting Unlimited & Master Stock. See ya there!! Travel safe, everyone, & good luck for those attending Jacksonville!! Tony.

P.S.-Now that's more like it, Dan!!;f ;f Take care & see y'all soon!