Flying thru forest fire smoke

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by hapuna, Aug 1, 2004.

1. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Yikes...don't do it unless you really know exactly what the conditions are!!!!!! I just flew from Seattle to Idaho and some fires have been burning in Central WA for a few days. That high desert area just doesn't clear out well without rain. At one point I was basically IFR for about 15 minutes(while flying VFR). All reports were "clear below 12000" and that was true...not a cloud in the sky and I could see the ground clearly from 8500ft but straight ahead I can't guess! Had my partner watch for other aircraft while I flew instruments. It was very disorienting to look back and forth. We knew that as we got close to Spokane it would get better and it did but that was not a good thing. The only warning was that there was haze due to smoke but no warning of how bad it really was. Just thought I'd throw it out there.:) They said the tops of the smoke was 12000ft and that was a little too much for the plane in 100deg heat. Down wasn't much of a help either unlesss you were going down to land right below you.
    ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT FOREST FIRES!;a

2. flyandscuba

flyandscuba

Engines don't like breathing all of that smoke, either!:)