Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a more flush metal mag release for the G43x/G48 for use with the Shield Arms 15 round steel mags. Ideally, I'd like a metal mag release that sticks out exactly the same as the stock Glock mag release. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got the Shield Arms metal mag release and magazines for my G43x,but can't get the old Glock mag release out yet. Doesn't seem to be much room to pry the metal spring away and out from the old release. I don't know how far this metal release will stick out yet until I can get it installed. Anyone have any tips to get the old one out?
JohnBoy

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re
I just got the Shield Arms metal mag release and magazines for my G43x,but can't get the old Glock mag release out yet. Doesn't seem to be much room to pry the metal spring away and out from the old release. I don't know how far this metal release will stick out yet until I can get it installed. Anyone have any tips to get the old one out?
JohnBoy
Remove the slide. Hold the frame of the pistol so it's pointed away from you (like you're shooting it). Look down into the front area of the grip where the mag release is (reading glasses and flashlight help). There's a straight metal piece (about the thickness of a paper clip) that's anchored in the bottom front of the grip that extends up and holds the mag release in place. Move the mag release a couple of times and you'll see how it fits in place. Use a small screwdriver and reach in and move the tip of it towards the right side of the pistol frame. Then apply pressure to it towards the back of the pistol frame. There's a slot that holds it in the mag release. When you move the metal piece to the right and then to the back of the frame, it should come out of that slot. It's like riding a bike, once you do it you'll wonder why you thought it was so hard.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
1A3159F3-197D-475D-BC82-E415A14206CC.jpeg
A9880717-95F6-4AC0-B193-7ED901E283D8.jpeg
I had a problem pushing the magazine release rarely by accident as I was getting a full fire in group during fast draw practice. The shield arms one does seem to stick out quite a bit further than factory Glock.
I put mine in a vice positioned so it was virtually impossible for me to screw it up and then ground it down flush with the vice. It worked perfectly!
Now it’s impossible for me to push it by accident, and easy to push it if I want to. It doesn’t look the greatest though…

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 745430 View attachment 745432 I had a problem pushing the magazine release rarely by accident as I was getting a full fire in group during fast draw practice. The shield arms one does seem to stick out quite a bit further than factory Glock.
I put mine in a vice positioned so it was virtually impossible for me to screw it up and then ground it down flush with the vice. It worked perfectly!
Now it’s impossible for me to push it by accident, and easy to push it if I want to. It doesn’t look the greatest though…
I saw your pictures on your mod, which is why I was wondering about different mag releases. Thanks for posting them.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Dr., you could cold blue it, or even hit it with a Sharpie. Or put a square of Talon grip material (it can be bought in a sheet form) or skateboard tape on it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1556419877

Skateboard tape.

Plenty of people have scratched the bleep out of the inside of their frames when trying to get the mag release out of the 43X/48.
Thanks noodle! Sometimes the best answers are the simplest…

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I have some S15 mags on the way. I decided to forego the metal catch.

With S15 mags, the estimated wear-out time for the OEM catch is 1,000 rounds. Since I have plenty of OEM 43X/48 mags, I do not plan to shoot tons of ammo with the S15's. Also, I already have 2 spare OEM catches & can buy more for $2 to $4 each. Even at $4, that's 6 of them for the price of one Shield aluminum catch.

All the metal 43X/48 catches I have seen are aluminum... not the hardest material around. I know they are anodized & that makes the surface very hard, but once the surface is gone..... ??

Time will tell. I can always buy a metal catch later.

·
In The Saddle
8,628 Posts
I have some S15 mags on the way. I decided to forego the metal catch.

With S15 mags, the estimated wear-out time for the OEM catch is 1,000 rounds. Since I have plenty of OEM 43X/48 mags, I do not plan to shoot tons of ammo with the S15's. Also, I already have 2 spare OEM catches & can buy more for $2 to $4 each. Even at $4, that's 6 of them for the price of one Shield aluminum catch.

All the metal 43X/48 catches I have seen are aluminum... not the hardest material around. I know they are anodized & that makes the surface very hard, but once the surface is gone..... ??
Time will tell. I can always buy a metal catch later.

Good luck.... We have really 'tested the heck' out of all this for a good long while now. The Shield Arms Mag 'Catch' does not hold up. Also, this "1,000" rd stuff, is not accurate either. You use the OEM mag catch, with a "steel mag," and it will NOT last long at all. Metal on plastic=bad idea. Plastic on plastic=ok. Metal on metal=ok. I have spent more time than I care to talk about on the phone and email with SA over their 'mag catches...' NO help! I even have a friend there!

Their 'mags' work "flawless.." Great product. Their mag 'catches,' are horrible thus far. Some here on GT use the NDZ mag catch, and swear by it on both OEM and SA mags. I highly suggest you don't use the Glock OEM "catch," with the SA "Mags." Especially if your planning on caring the weapon. Those metal mags, do chew up the OEM mag port cut out. I can mess up the OEM mag in 10-15 mag presentations, but it is "under fire," that does the most damage to them. I still have the SA "catch," in one of the 48's, but the first one bit the dust in 1,000 rds. Until they fix this issue, I suggest a different "catch." I am NOT the only one having this issue with the SA catches. With such a flawless magazine they got going, you would think they would make a better catch, AND, I think they are being forced to do so, because of numerous complaints. I have TWO different types of SA mag "catches," and when called them out on it, they don't know a thing about it, and i cannot get a reply at all... My stetson is off to their "Mags," but I would go a different route on the "catches," until they fix the problem, and save hassle and $$$.
They are a great company, and I highly reccomend their mags and products, but again, until they reslove the "catch issue," and I do believe they will, NDZ, or Tyrant, may be the best route for a while. ;)

https://www.ndzperformance.com/Glock-48-43x-9MM-Magazine-Release-s/18595.htm

https://www.tyrantcnc.com/glock-43-extended-magazine-release.html

Good luck Pard.

CanyonMan
:horse:

Reactions: dpsk

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good luck.... We have really 'tested the heck' out of all this for a good long while now. The Shield Arms Mag 'Catch' does not hold up. Also, this "1,000" rd stuff, is not accurate either. You use the OEM mag catch, with a "steel mag," and it will NOT last long at all. Metal on plastic=bad idea. Plastic on plastic=ok. Metal on metal=ok. I have spent more time than I care to talk about on the phone and email with SA over their 'mag catches...' NO help! I even have a friend there!

Their 'mags' work "flawless.." Great product. Their mag 'catches,' are horrible thus far. Some here on GT use the NDZ mag catch, and swear by it on both OEM and SA mags. I highly suggest you don't use the Glock OEM "catch," with the SA "Mags." Especially if your planning on caring the weapon. Those metal mags, do chew up the OEM mag port cut out. I can mess up the OEM mag in 10-15 mag presentations, but it is "under fire," that does the most damage to them. I still have the SA "catch," in one of the 48's, but the first one bit the dust in 1,000 rds. Until they fix this issue, I suggest a different "catch." I am NOT the only one having this issue with the SA catches. With such a flawless magazine they got going, you would think they would make a better catch, AND, I think they are being forced to do so, because of numerous complaints. I have TWO different types of SA mag "catches," and when called them out on it, they don't know a thing about it, and i cannot get a reply at all... My stetson is off to their "Mags," but I would go a different route on the "catches," until they fix the problem, and save hassle and $$$.
They are a great company, and I highly reccomend their mags and products, but again, until they reslove the "catch issue," and I do believe they will, NDZ, or Tyrant, may be the best route for a while. ;)

Good luck Pard.

CanyonMan
Do you know if that basic NDZ release is the same size as the OEM Glock mag (how far it sticks out from the side)?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts

Good luck Pard.

CanyonMan
Thanks for the advice. From this information, I may have to stick with all OEM stuff. I will not allow my OEM mags to be mangled, & I don't plan on changing OEM catches every few rounds.

I will look into this more.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Do you know if that basic NDZ release is the same size as the OEM Glock mag (how far it sticks out from the side)?
I just ordered 2 NDZ catches in black. The site says they have 3 sizes with different amounts of protrusion, but they only list "Plus" & "Extended". They indicate that the Extended size sticks out the most, so I ordered the Plus size. I could not find any listing for the lowest size.

I have not seen any of theirs in real life... only on the site - & both look the same to me in the photos.

·
In The Saddle
8,628 Posts
Thanks for the advice. From this information, I may have to stick with all OEM stuff. I will not allow my OEM mags to be mangled, & I don't plan on changing OEM catches every few rounds.

I will look into this more.

Well, keep in mind now, that the SA mag "catches," I do believe will work fine, once they iron out a thing or two, and I believe that will be very quick. Also, as I said, guys have had very good experiences with the NDZ "catches," on both OEM and SA mags... We don't want to throw the baby out with the wash! ;) We did all this "playing/testing, and their mags are flawless and I highly recommend them... Just try the SA Catch, and the NDZ, and if they hold up, your good to go, if, that is what your wanting to do. I am NOT a 9mm guy, but after all we did, I do NOT have "any issue," with carrying the SA S15 mags to defend my life. The "catches," do work, and will last far longer than most folks will shoot their guns. We put them through heck and back, and the SA "catch," did "mush down," after real hard use and hundreds of mag presentations in and out of the mag well, and a tremendous amount of rounds.

The SA "catches", should have lasted much longer is my point...

I don't want to scare folks off of these really great mags from SA. They have been as reliable as the OEM mags. Just try out the "catch," and see which one works best for you/all!

Hope this makes sense. ;)

CanyonMan

·
In The Saddle
8,628 Posts
No sir, I do not yet know. We have an NDZ catch, but have not had time etc, to put it in yet. Fatboy2001 here on GT uses the NDZ, and with really good success on both OEM and SA mags, as I understand. If he don't chime in, maybe you can PM him, seems like a nice guy, and I am sure he would not mind answering that...

Edited to say... It did (NDZ) stick out a small tad further than OEM, but nothing to write home about.. Sorry, been a very long hard day out here. Trying to 'catch' up, (no pun intended) on some emails, and GT post etc)... ;)

CM

·
In The Saddle
8,628 Posts
I just ordered 2 NDZ catches in black. The site says they have 3 sizes with different amounts of protrusion, but they only list "Plus" & "Extended". They indicate that the Extended size sticks out the most, so I ordered the Plus size. I could not find any listing for the lowest size.

I have not seen any of theirs in real life... only on the site - & both look the same to me in the photos.
Amigo, YES, we have got the NDZ "PLUS," size. Have not put it in yet, BUT, we did "dry fit it," and it looked good to me. It is NOT sticking way out. Just were not ready to to a 'permanent install' yet, as we are still holding out hope on the SA catch ! ;)

Between the PLUS size and Extended size... Plus sticks out the least, and again, looked good to me.

CM

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Amigo, YES, we have got the NDZ "PLUS," size. Have not put it in yet, BUT, we did "dry fit it," and it looked good to me. It is NOT sticking way out. Just were not ready to to a 'permanent install' yet, as we are still holding out hope on the SA catch ! ;)

Between the PLUS size and Extended size... Plus sticks out the least, and again, looked good to me.
CM
Thanks for the extra information, CanyonMan!

In a few days, I will wind up with three S15 mags, several OEM mags, four OEM catches & two NDZ catches... for my 2 pistols (43X & 48). I should be good to go, one way or the other!

·
In The Saddle
8,628 Posts
Thanks for the extra information, CanyonMan!

In a few days, I will wind up with three S15 mags, several OEM mags, four OEM catches & two NDZ catches... for my 2 pistols (43X & 48). I should be good to go, one way or the other!

Hey amigo, you are very welcome! I am sure you will do fine in it all and it will all go real well. I do believe you will really like those S15 mags. Once you "settle," on SA mag catch, or NDZ "catch," the rest is just ( for us has been) flawless shooting in the 43X and both silver and black 48's NO issues.

Honestly, I dedicated one of the 48's strictly to the SA catch ( the new catch) and the S15 mags "only." The 43X and the silver 48 are just hangin around ALL OEM, (for now) to many others branding irons in the fire (ha) to mess with it all for now at least... We'll get to it buy and buy. I am 100% confident in the 48 and the SA mags! I am a 45acp guy, BUT, I would not hesitate to carry the 48/SA mag set up.... I hate for my secret to get out,:rolleyes: but I have been packin around that 48/SA S15 mag set up, for a few weeks now, when in town !!

;)

Good shooting amigo!

CanyonMan

·
Glockalfeliac
1,124 Posts
I just got the wife a G48 and added the S15 mags and the SA mag catch. This will be a range gun for her, she carries a LCR .357 for self defense.

The SA mag catch installed fine, and I decided I’ll not be using the OEM polymer mags with it. If there is an issue I’ll try something else. SA was very fast to ship, which was nice during these times of multi week backorders on anything gun related.

·
Registered
494 Posts

Good luck Pard.

CanyonMan
What is happening to the Shield Arms mag release/catch? I read your post and got curious because I have had my shield mags and mag release from them for about an 1.5 weeks. During that time I’ve probably shot 250-300 rounds in the past few days. I just removed my shield mag release to check to see if something was wearing or wrong and after that many rounds mine barely has a scratch. I’m just wondering what I need to look out for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts