Flu Shot And H1N1

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Rashid.4v, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Rashid.4v

Rashid.4v

So I go in to get my flu shot yesterday...
    I've been getting the inhalation dose for the past two years now. Yesterday they pull out a needle, I don't really care about the needle but I'm like "what gives?". Where's the inhalation version?

The nurse proceeds to tell me that this is the "new triple play", which includes the H1N1 strain. I'm like "whooaa" there Miss, no H1N1 for me, I'll pass.

I don't trust this whole H1N1 stuff. I just don't want this crap in my system, I don't think we have enough info and I still think .gov is "knee jerking" this thing because of fear of an uncontrolled outbreak of whatever it is.

Am I alone in this H1N1 resistance? Any one else have a question mark over their head when it comes to H1N1.

2. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout Behind you!

Pig flu or not, I don't get flu shots. I hate to get all .gov conspiracy theoryish, but a lot of the stuff the put in the shots, have no need to be there as far as I can see. Thiomersal is one.

3. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

I'm with you on this. I don't care if the shot works or not. I don't care about NWO conspiracies. I just won't be injected with things like thiomersal, mercury and formaldehyde. I rather get the flu.

4. Rashid.4v

Rashid.4v

Okay, see...even more crap in there. At least I'm not alone. I don't like the idea of foreign crap in my body.

5. Sheepdog Scout

Ditto. But seriously, this country may have dodged a bullet last year. Granted, seasonal flu kills around 50,000 Americans a year. But we haven't had a big, lethal pandemic in quite a few years. And those super deadly ones come in cycles. If the easily catchable swine flu last year had the death rate that the avian flu has had in parts of Asia, it could have gotten really nasty last year.

6. Sheepdog Scout

Yeah, but the flu shots/sprays, always have 3 or so different strains of flu in them. The doctors really just guess at which strains will be a problem the coming year when they develop the shots/sprays. The pig flu showed up last year, so it goes in the shot/spray. But the flu is always changing/mutating, like other viruses, so who knows.

I don't get the shots like I said, but if I did, I would take the shot over the spray. Tell me if I'm wrong, but the spray still has a live, albeit weakened flu strains, while the shot does not.

7. BryGuy

BryGuy YUT UGHHHH!

I used to have to get the flu shot every year in the Army. Every time after the shot I would get really sick. I have been out for about 7 years now. I never get the shot, and have gotten the sniffles once.

8. Sheepdog Scout

Hm, the only time I was required to get a flu shot in the Army was during basic. But I wasn't active duty, so that might explain why. Or maybe my CO was afraid of needles.:rofl:

9. Happy Hunting

Happy Hunting

No vaccines for me. Not no way, not no how.

10. tmmurphy

tmmurphy

I had to get the H1N1 vaccination last December while I was in boot camp. I felt horrible for the next couple days, then on the 3rd day I just passed out. Finally went to medical and found out I had a fever, and the flu. I was kinda pissed when I ended up having to miss a couple days of training because of a vaccination.

11. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

I fell victim to influenza once (many years ago) and I still vividly remember that this was not a pleasant experience. Once was enough for me!

I deal with many customers on a day-to-day basis and I see no reason to put myself nor my family's health at risk by not getting this once-a-year shot.

That H1N1 is a real danger, not something the .gov came up with to somehow track or control the minds of their citizens. I don't understand the argument of those folks who are opposed to the privilege of low-cost immunization. :dunno:

12. sputnik767

sputnik767

So wait, somehow you thing that an inactivated H1N1 strain is more dangerous than whatever strain they are using this time around? I fail to see the logic you are using.

The reality is, no strain of flu vaccine is any more dangerous than any other. If you are getting a flu shot, you've already committed to having them inject an inactivated or dead virus into your body. What difference does it make as to what strain it is? Why not get immunized to as many variants as possible?

13. Rashid.4v

Rashid.4v

What logic, it isn't rocket science. I never said anything about inactivated strains and which is more dangerous than whatever.

I'm saying in a nutshell, I don't want H1N1 in my system, dead or alive. There seems to be a lot of guess work involved in what it is and how it reacts, I don't want guess work in my body.

The normal influenza vaccines have been around for decades with plenty of research, the H1N1 just popped up and they crapped out some vaccine for it.
    No thanks.

If it doesn't make sense to you that I don't want that particular strain of influenza in my body, no problem. It doesn't make sense to me either, that's why I don't want it. Call me paranoid or whatever....seems I'm not alone though, if I am, no problem their either...it's my body after all.

There's some person somewhere shoving down cans of six packs down his throat right now, doesn't make sense to me but it's his body.

14. AA#5

AA#5

It's quite encouraging to see that not everyone is a sheep & swallowing whatever a "medical professional" says - with recommendations provided & funded by big pharma.

15. Sheepdog Scout

I'm not saying doctors aren't good, but they're not always right.

Example: My mother went in for a routine physical or whatnot, and her being in her 60s, they found a spot in one of her breasts. They wanted to do a biopsy, she said fine. Then they also wanted to put a little piece of metal near it, that also happens to have some radiation in it, to see if the spots moves or whatever. To this she said no. The metal thing, is some new thing that they probably wanted to try out on her.

16. Rashid.4v

Rashid.4v

Yeap, they tried to guinea pig mom dukes, or make a little extra cash...
    either way you gotta be careful and ask a fafillion questions. :thumbsup:

17. sputnik767

sputnik767

I don't see why you had to come off so combative in your response. I was not trying to imply anything, simply trying to understand your logic and to set it straight, given that I have a background in biochemistry and immunology.

You have no understanding of how vaccines work, and that's fine. Flu vaccines are all created the same way, the only thing different is the strain. And that changes every season. Be it H1N1, or whatever, there is no difference. There is nothing magical about how vaccines work or how they are made, and the only differences between the different strains is what strain you are immunized against. There is no guesswork. The reason it took a long time to develop the H1N1 vaccine was because it was a new strain that made the jump from animal to human very quickly, and it takes a while to develop a vaccine. I just find it funny that people get regular seasonal flu shots but panic when they hear that one of the strains is H1N1 as if it's some sort of death sentence. You obviously made the decision to get the flu shot, and it's silly to not do solely because one of the strains is H1N1. And for the record, just because there are other people that share your viewpoint, does not mean they are right. Strength in numbers only works when you are in a fight.

Both H1N1 vaccine and the so-called "normal" vaccines are all the same. The only difference is the strain. And they develop vaccines against new strains every year. The same decades of research that went into developing the flu vaccine applies to the H1N1 strain. Or do you suppose they do decades of research for each new yearly strain?

And I personally don't give a rat's behind as to what you do with your body. All I tried to do was give you information. Do with it what you will, and because I don't want this to turn into a debate, I'm not going to respond to you in this thread anymore. For the record, I never get the flu shot. But not because I'm afraid of it or don't understand it. Believe me, I do. I don't get it because I've only had the flu twice in my life, both when I was much younger. It's not that bad, and getting the shot is not something that I even think about.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  18. pangloss9

pangloss9

I'm sorry you got sick, but the events you share don't indicate that the vaccine made you sick. Yes, you got sick after your vaccination, but you probably caught the flu a day or two before your vaccination. It usually takes a little while for symptoms to start showing up after you're infected. It's not like you instantly get sick the very minute the virus first enters your body. The virus has to infect cells, make more virus, infect more cells, etc.

19. pangloss9

pangloss9

The broader problem we have here is that there is no institutional memory in this country of how bad vaccine preventable diseases are. Decades ago, a lot of kids died from measles. People were afraid to go swimming in the summer because of polio. As a society, these facts have slipped from our mind. Look up the morbidity and mortality data from 1950 vs 2010 and you can see for yourself how many lives have been saved by vaccines.

Sputnik, even without checking your profile, it's obvious that you know what you're talking about. I'm not sure if you were on the forum last fall, but there were quite a few vaccine threads. I commend your effort, but you'll find vanishingly few converts in this crowd.

20. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

My Supv. at work has not been sick (i.e., flu, cold, etc. type sick) for over 30 years. At the behest of his primary doctor, he finally breaks down and for the first time in his life takes a flu shot last week. He's just now getting over the final stages of the flu. His flu bug, brought on by the shot, had him in bed, absolutely miserable, for over 7 days.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010