Flu more deadly than Coronavirus

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jp 19, Jan 28, 2020.

1. jp 19

jp 19

Paul53, Blanton and nursetim like this.
  2. Wetrudgeon

Wetrudgeon

Based on the data we saw, the mortality rate for those contracting the corona virus is something on the order of >3%. That compares favorably to the current strain of influenza making the rounds now.

We trudge on.

Paul53, Inyo Tim and catman71 like this.

3. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 Unapologetic Deplorable.

The difference is we have a flu vaccine that is at least partially effective in both stopping and limiting many of the flu strains. None of this is secret and we dont have citys walled off by soldiers with medics and doctors in full hazmat as if they are dealing with an extremely severe contagion.

They dont wear hazmat suits for the flu. And I dont remember pictures of Hospital hallways lined with covered bodies from flu. Also the incubation time for Influenza is generally 2 days not 2 weeks. 2 weeks is a long time to be infecting others while showing no symptoms. And they still havn't figured out SARS let alone Corona.

Now they are screening people coming from China at 20 US airports. I never remembered them doing that for flu.

Mr Meeseeks, Paul53, Inyo Tim and 2 others like this.
  4. Cmacc

Cmacc

5. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Yes - flu is deadly. Especially to people with weakened immune systems and also the elderly.

I don't remember the exact numbers but I divided the number of deaths from Carona virus by the number of people affiliated, it's something like 3%. IIRC, something like 35% of MERS victims died. So put it into perspective. At least wait until we have better and more data.

It's always good to take precautions during the cold/flu season. Use wipes at the store to sanitize cart handles, wash your hands often, carry hand sanitizer in the car and on your desk. Then get on with your life. The sky is not falling - yet.

Paul53 likes this.
  6. jp 19

jp 19

There has been more deaths from flu this season far more than cases of Coronavirus 1300 cases 41 deaths (worldwide) and that is in Wuhan a city of 11 million. just sayin yer more likely to die from the flu than Coronavirus .
    Media hype!

Paul53 likes this.
  7. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

Let’s revisit these numbers in 6 months

I hope you are right

Paul53, Cmacc, Inyo Tim and 3 others like this.
  8. ray9898

ray9898

LOL....the Coronavirus hasn't even been live for a month yet while flu season is months in. Kind of an ignorant method used to deduce something is nothing but hype.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  9. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Haz Mat suits do tend to imply CONTROL is needed here... or maybe you'd prefer your... ugly gross nasty death? If you don't do what we tell you to do... could get ugly.

Besides that, you're not going anywhere for a while now are you? You and 40 million other citizens/comrades.

Control... for the good of the nation/world... donchaknow?

(full disclosure... I read Jon Rappaport's blog this am... and being somewhat a cynic... tend to concur)

How well is that Chinese socialized medicine working out there? Will/would our system fare better? Overloaded is overloaded.

Flu season sucks.

Batsoup flu (nCoV) season? (w/ Haz Mat suits) Uh huh... yeah. right... Affects 40 million at least. And this is it's inaugural year!

Toronto to Wuhan... sneaky like?...

hmmmm. I Will Be Damned. What could go wrong (or right)? :dunno:

Happy New Year China

happyguy and catman71 like this.
  10. jp 19

jp 19

If it bleeds it leads. Remember we are talkin MSM. I am not saying it shouldn’t be covered... just 24 hr coverage?
    Yep 5 cases in the US.
    According to the CDC.... there are also 100 new cases of Leporsy in the US every year according to the CDC.
    By the way there are 7 types of Coronavirus ....

ranger1968 and catman71 like this.
  11. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

Here's the deal, until we analyze the virus based on the cases we have here, we don't know much. And I would not hold any info released by the Chinese gov as true.

Cmacc, Paul53, happyguy and 1 other person like this.
  12. Dave514

Dave514

So 6,600 deaths from 13,000,000 flu cases. 0.051% chance of death.

41 deaths from 1300 Coronavirus cases. 3.2% chance of death.

You don't have to be a rocket surgeon to know which one is "more deadly".

Your chances of dying from the flu are greater because of how many cases there are....now. But you better take the Coronavirus seriously and support measures to stop it's spread.

Cmacc, RPK Clone, happyguy and 9 others like this.
  13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

And it appears to be very contagious.

High death rate, easy to catch, spreading in the most populated country, with lots of travel connections to the rest of the world.

I'm not seeing any over-hype. If anything, their Communist government will under-hype it.

14. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

It seems to me no one halts all commercial traffic in and out of an 11 million population city because of several hundred infected and a couple dozen dead. In typical communist fashion they are way, way, way under reporting the facts.

15. BBMW

BBMW

I think the trajectory is a bigger issue than raw numbers.

Baba Louie, catman71 and czsmithGT like this.
  16. Z71bill

Z71bill

Good thing that China would never lie about how many cases & the death rate -

17. Dave514

Dave514

SARS (also a coronavirus) came out of China and they(china) under-reported it initially. So they certainly don't have a good track record.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK92479/

18. Hartford

Hartford

Also the numbers reported Now are more than double whAt the op is going by.

In a week and a half we went from a handful of cases to 100m under quarantine, virus has made it to major population centers all over the world. Contagious before showing symptoms. Yeah, there's nothing to this.

People shouldn't panic, but this does have potential to bad on a world wide scale.

19. jp 19

jp 19

Source?

20. Hartford

Hartford

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/4595206002

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/01/28/world/asia/china-coronavirus.amp.html

First person outside of China infected by contact with infected human, Germany.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...-issues-new-china-travel-warning-live-updates

Graph outlining reported cases over time.

upload_2020-1-28_17-18-37.png

The hardest hit areas of China have been out of test kits for the virus for a day or two. Reports from locals have been that many people are simply being diagnosed with "viral pneumonia" as there's no way to identify the actual cause. What are the chances just a few of those pneumonia cases are ncov2019.

ETA: Graph stolen from thread dedicated to coronavirus, posted by @cowboy1964 .

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    jp 19 and catman71 like this.