Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

Flowers. or Veggies Or "Just Weed"??

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Native Mainiac
23,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a good part of the afternoon busting up and tilling by hand a kind of garden I've had for years. About 10 years ago a wife of one of my friends gave me a bunch of perennials that I planted, but most of them have died out due to neglect.
Yesterday, I "scalped" the area with my weed-whacker and raked the grass off.

Today, I grub-hoed it 3 times.....it's now my least favorite tool in the shed.

Then 3 times with the garden fork, and pulled out a lot of the soddy stuff. Mixed in some peat moss on the last pass, then raked it and more or less got things leveled out.

Only 24 feet long, and a couple feet wide. Acidic soil as I'm surrounded by pines and even added peat moss.

Garden used to be ornamental and for attracting humming birds. Tried rhododendrons once...they did good, but the stoopid deer ate them.

What do you say my crop should be this year??

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I need to rip a 4x8 plot for some asparagus.

I voted weed as I'm all for freedom, but honestly, I wouldn't until it's legal federally.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I really wanted to vote weed but I think perennials would be better.
Do not gotta worry about someone sneaking in to steal your savings account lol.

·
Mentally Frozen
27,823 Posts
You need to blend in a variety

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
I’m a practical sort, veggies for certain, weed if you are inclined that way.

·
NRA Benefactor
7,389 Posts
Looks like a pick mattock to me. You can get a fancy one at the box store for $30 to $50. I have an old wooden handled one with a 5# head. They make a 2.5# iirc.

"either a vertical ax blade with a horizontal adze (cutter mattock), or a pick and an adze (pick mattock) "

·
Native Mainiac
23,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You must be rich, with that fancy fiberglass handle hoe.
I have a spade and a post hole digger that match. Bought them years ago when doing new deck supports. Living large here in the woods with my blinged out tools. I hate them all though, never much fun when you gotta' dig them out of the shed.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
a few squash plants.. a few cucumbers.. (plant those in the bed, but train them out of it to make room for other stuff) bush beans or edible pod peas... potatos..

for a few bucks you can get some actual food outta that.

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
I greatly prefer wooden handle tools... but most of the wooden handles these days are pretty crappy, so fiberglass is usually better.

It's just weed, man.

Nothing like a nice piece of hickory....

·
NRA Benefactor
5,468 Posts
About the only thing I've found that the deer won't eat is Oleander. But they are aggressive. You have to trim them or they become a living hulk.

Reactions: FullClip

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
About the only thing I've found that the deer won't eat is Oleander. But they are aggressive. You have to trim them or they become a living hulk.
Oleander plants are poisonous. If you burn the trimmings, don't breathe the smoke.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts