close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Floridians I need help...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by KommieforniaGlocker, Aug 17, 2012.

1. KommieforniaGlocker

KommieforniaGlocker

I've had it with this state but my house and business up for sale, and got a buyer for both. Gave the wife a choice between Texas, Colorado, Florida, or Oklahoma. She picked Florida, we are looking at two towns

Dunedin, Fl or Holiday, Fl, some of you folks that are from there could you chime in. Family of four, two sons ages 7 and 3..I have a job lined up, so not worried about...my question is this we want coastal, beach (in Kommiefornia it was over priced for it). Are these communities decent for families?? Is the culture conservative?? (that's what we want). Any info or insight based on your experiences will be much appreciated and valued

Thank you

2. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

Beware of pockets of New Yorkers.

3. Detectorist

Detectorist

I used to work close to there and travel through.

First of all, don't just go by the price of the home. The insurance rates and taxes increased exponentially since the hurricanes.

One other thing I hated about Florida, most of the residents, maybe 9/10 are not from Florida. Many are rude and not very neighborly.

Besides all that, it's OK.

4. Adjuster

Adjuster

I used to live in Dunedin and my parents in Holiday. My parents now live in Port Richey and I moved to the east coast. Both towns you mention are great places to live. Dunedin more so but Dunedin is also twice the cost of Holiday. Typical schools with typical drug problems and normal teenager crap. Can't avoid that anywhere in Florida. Do you have any specific questions you can think of? I would choose Dunedin if you can afford it.

/

5. Adjuster

Adjuster

Holiday has no beaches but is very boater friendly. Dunedin is near great beaches.

/

6. napp32

napp32

I was living in Dunedin when I left to enter the Army; but that was 1966, so I've got nothing current to offer. Dunedin is closer to the gulf beaches than Holiday; although it's not enough closer to be a show stopper.

The two cities are almost within spitting distance of each other; but they are in different counties. Oftentimes the big difference in Florida living conditions depends upon the county government more than the city itself. I would recommend you do some investigation into schools, property values, and tax structure for the different counties. Dunedin is located in Pinellas county; and Holiday is located in Pasco county.

7. Adjuster

Adjuster

Man that would have been so cool to live in Dunedin in 1966.

8. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Private school or home school an option?

9. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

+1 privatw school

-50 homeschool especially if the kid ever goes back to public.

I was homeschooled from grade 5-8. Dropped back into public my freshman year of Hs.......culture shock strong enough to create mental damage. Ntm the violence that your not used to that is thrust apon your face in the form of a locker........ughhhhh memories.

10. KommieforniaGlocker

KommieforniaGlocker

Private school is route we are taking.....

For those of you familiar with the area what are property taxes lime in Dunedin??(ballpark) Homeowners insurance rates???Ballpark.... I am trying to figure out a budgeted price range for home.....

But I am sick of California today was the icing of the cake, I want to raise my kids in a state where people haven't morphed into a culture of entitlement.

We are

11. Hyksos

Hyksos

You should be able to pay those property taxes with the money you save by not paying state income tax :)

12. johnd

johnd

I live really near Dunedin and all Id suggest is you take a few days here to check out both places. Dunedin is now very chic and now very expensive but like all places has its fair share of trailer trash on the outskirts. Holiday is still more older, less expensive and less chic.
    Like all of Florida the zoning is just about non existent. Everywhere has its million $$ +++ housing with trailer parks 100yds from the gates.
    Depends on what you want.
    We have been here for going on 25 years and have "moved away" 3 times yet always kept this place as our primary residence.
    There are a LOT of advantages having Florida as your primary residence as you have noted, including no income taxes. When we "lived" in Atlanta and maintained this place as our primary residence we saved more than $12k per year in taxes alone.

On the downside is the constant flow of dirtbags from "up Nawth", the tourists and the idiots who seem to flock here to be unemployed in the sun.

Visit and decide, dont do it remotely on line

13. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Great idea. Do your homework and find a good one. Don't know what your religious preference is, but there are some good Christian schools around there.
    Welfare is big here, but with the tourism, there are service jobs to had out the yang.

We are working on our gun rights. Hope you help with that fight. The fishing, well, be sure to keep that a secret once you find out how good it is in your locale. ;)

Welcome to the Bikini State! :wavey:

14. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member Silver Member

Don't live there but can give you some other help. You can use www.realtor.com to start shopping for houses now, to get an idea of what's out there and the costs. Once you narrow in on a few houses you can go to the county property tax website and see what your property taxes will be. Do not forget to immediately apply for the Homestead Exemption, which will save you $$ down the road.

Dunedin = Pinellas county = http://www.pcpao.org/
    Holiday = Pasco county = http://appraiser.pascogov.com/

Good luck!

One suggestion that we did when we moved to Miami, we had our stuff stored for a couple of months and lived in a 2BR month to month apartment while our buyer's agent showed us houses. It took the pressure off and gave our agent time to show us different neighborhoods and what type of house you could buy for $X in each neighborhood, i.e. $300K buys you a 4BR, 3BA house here, but the crime rate isa little higher while in this neighborhood it buys you a 3BR 1BA, but it has excellent schools, etc etc.

BTW: You can save time and apply for your FL CCW now as it is the same CCW whether you live in state or are out of state. You just have to change your address once you move here.

15. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member Silver Member

Forgot to mention, but, if you like IndyCar racing, there is a street race every March in St. Pete that is well worth attending!

16. DARKSHADOW

DARKSHADOW My Work Hobby CLM

I couldn't give you much insight with owning a home or rasing kid's near here, as I have neither, but I have lived near Dunedin my entire life. If you want to be close to the water for beaches, fishing, and just slightly cooler temps, I would say Dunedin. To me downtown Dunedin has a good family atmosphere with resturant's, park's, and small shop's all within walking distance. Almost the entire coast from Dunedin and south is beaches, some of wich are also good size parks. If you like to ride bicycles, the Pinellas county trail runs through Dunedin, the trail runs the full length of pinellas county north to south, it's a heels to wheels trail (no motorized vehicles). Plenty of grocery store's, seems like you can't go a mile in Pinellas without seeing a major grocery store.

I can't speak much for Holiday, I mostly never go further north than Tarpon Springs. I live directly east of Dunedin in Safety Harbor, wich has a more small town feel to it and more tree's. But the coast on this side is Tampa Bay (not good for swimming, and ok for fishing) also the water is calmer if you like to kayak.

Gun ranges are all indoor, with the exception of the 'Wyoming Antelope Club' near the Clearwater/St.pete airport.

And one last thing, Florida is flat, and most buildings in the area are only one to two story.

17. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

I like Dunedin.

Its not a bad place to live. I go there daily.

18. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

If you are not dead set on Florida, look into Coastal South Carolina. SC is a very conservitave area and a fantastic place to raise kids. I am very happy here raising my 14yo and 10 yo and it is a very gun friendly state as well.

The climate is similar to Florida and there are some great companies here to work for like Boeing, American la France, BMW, Honda and many others. The housing market is slow but not as bad as many other areas. Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  19. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

I've got a lot of buddies up in Holiday, go there pretty often. The culture is pretty conservative, in some areas white-trashy, in some areas simply very nice - depends on where you buy. But not overly bad, as long as you don't find your kids wandering the strip clubs on US19 (which are excellent, I might add).

If you want beach then the closer you get to Clearwater, the better in that specific area. Don't actually go INTO Clearwater/St Pete to live, but thats the area to be when it comes to beaches in this part of Florida.

Most of the houses there are a bit old, area looks...not so much run down, but just like it hasn't developed with the surrounding areas...but being in Tampa, I might just be spoiled. Its close to a lot of good stuff but lucky enough not to put you right in the middle of any of it. The springs up North, some nice nature preserves and stuff out East, Tampa and YBOR past that if you feel like getting stabbed by a cross-dressing priest at a gay bar, and Clearwater/St Pete South of you for awesome beach life.

20. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Flannigans in downtown makes my mouth water. Their potato spuds should be part of the Food Pyramid! :drool:

Dunedin is an awesome place to live, actually. Its not too big of a place, the kind of area you can walk into the local pub and know everyone by name. Decent kids activities, too. I really like that area - might end up owning a place over there one day.