Florida Stand Your Ground Situation

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Jonesee, Apr 16, 2012.

1. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Not quite. Close, but not quite.

You can't carry in any part of the bar which is primarily devoted to serving alcohol. For example, if the bar has a pool hall area, you can carry there. Technically, you could carry in the crapper. You could carry in a booth or at a table provided they serve food, such as in the case of a sports bar. You could carry on a dancefloor in some situations.

Its a really touchy bit of red tape.

2. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Also close but incorrect. You can carry the weapon. You can't handle it. So technically taking it off and putting it on, if drunk, are illegal. But carrying it on you is not.

There are levels of drunkeness, .1 is the magic number, and yes there is a big ol' exemption for if you use it in lawful self defense even while drunk.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

3. HoldHard

HoldHard

These happen to be my rules. You can do whatever you want and deal with the consequences.

I ride.
    I carry when I ride.
    When I ride I don't drink.
    When I carry I don't drink.

It'll be up to the prosecutor, judge, jury and how much you spend for your lawyer to determine the outcome.

In Michigan, the "magic" number for BAC when carrying is anything over .02 Link

Get caught and it will cost you your weapon, $100 and your carry license.

HH

4. Hyksos

Hyksos

Well done sir. I hadn't looked up the statute in a while.

It would essentially seem here that carrying while drinking is lawful. But, you can't carry into the portion of an establishment designated for the sole purpose of the consumption of alcohol. So, if I'm reading this right (not sure), it says to me that you can carry and drink, but, not in a place that doesnt serve food. EDIT: Excuse me, "primarily devoted"

If you're at a Chili's drinking at the bar, it's ok because they serve food there also?

If you're drinking at a club, which has no food, then you're committing a crime by virtue of even being there, rather than drinking.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

It's also only a misdemeanor. Ha!

5. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

I personally take it to mean the 'portions' of the establishment. For example, I can't sit at the bar at Chilis because they're primarily devoted to serving alcohol at the bar, so I get a table or booth. But theres also a bar up the road from me with an entire side of it devoted to pool tables and semi-cordoned off from the bar, I carry into there as its primary purpose is pool, not booze.

Don't really know who's right on that one. For my part, I chance it. If I had to advise anybody else, I'd probably say, "Play it safe."

6. 4Rules

4Rules

When he said "I think you need some other form of recreation" he was referring to drinking alcohol in public bars, not riding a motorcycle.

7. Gundude

Gundude

Here in Nevada, you can be too drunk to legally drive, and still be legal to CCW. The streets flow day and night with the blood of drunken bar brawlers shooting each other. :whistling:. And I literally mean all day and night, because many bars are open 24/7.

8. Jonesee

Jonesee

Oh... I grew up decades ago. I honestly can't remember the last hangover I had.

A scotch before or a wine with dinner is all I drink anymore. My greatest vice for years has been cigars.

9. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

Just my opinion but alcohol and guns are not a good idea!:dunno:

10. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Just don't drink. Problem solved.