Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
67,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Possibly some lessons to be learned in this video.

Lesson 1: when you realize you just continued firing to slide-lock on a guy who was on the ground (probably with an empty gun), while standing in front of the camera from your car, you will be glad the bad guy was out of frame.

Lesson 2: running is probably faster than drawing.

Lesson 3: try not to lose track of where the bad guy is during a gunfight.

All in all, these guys may not have looked cool doing it, but they pretty much handled it right, from getting out of the line of fire before worrying about shooting back, to not accidentally shooting your buddy when the bad guy comes up behind you, to not letting that extra ammo in the magazine go to waste. Biggest mistake I saw was the first guy who was hit in the leg went around his cover and out the other side, assuming the bad guy would just stay where he was - that nearly got him killed, except I think the bad guy had sprayed away all of his ammo, thanks to trying to gunfight with an AR pistol.

Lesson 4: an AR pistol is a bad idea in a close-range gunfight against real pistols.

That last little bit of video, around 0:55, will probably come up again in a lawsuit from the bad guy's family/estate. In the sound version you can hear that several shots are fired before the deputy comes into frame.

Florida sheriff's office releases video of fatal deputy-involved shooting

MELBOURNE, Fla. - On August 30th, a traffic stop of a vehicle along U.S. 192 just west of Interstate 95 ended with a deputy injured and a suspect dead. The Brevard County Sheriff’s Office said that the occupant inside the vehicle shot at deputies, who returned fire.

The Brevard County Sheriff’s Office shared a video of the incident on Thursday afternoon.

"I wanted to give everyone an update this evening on the deputy-involved shooting that took place Monday, August 30th, when two of our deputies were ambushed by an extremely violent career criminal during a traffic stop in west Melbourne," Sheriff Wayne Ivey said in the video. "The attack and ambush was perpetuated by a violent, career criminal, with a history of 40 charges for crimes including drug trafficking, aggravated assault while discharging a firearm, battery on a law enforcement officer, and attempted first-degree felony murder."

Sheriff Ivey said that the man also had prior convictions for robbery with a firearm, failing to register as a career offender, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, resisting arrest with violence, possession of controlled substances, and various probation violations.

. . . More at the link

Here is a Youtube version of the video of just the shooting with no sound, for your clicking convenience - more complete video, including the Sheriff's comments is at the link:

The full-sound video with the story is a lot better.

·
Unfair Facist
27,432 Posts
So, after the shooter goes around the drivers side of the patrol vehicle who is the deputy firing at, the guy that ran away when it started?

The guy comes around the patrol vehicle and bashes the one deputy in the head and the other deputies response is to run away?

All in all the aggression and tactics award goes to the bad guy. Luckily he ran out of ammo or the officers likely would be dead after he outflanked them.

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
“And to those out there that might be foolish enough to ask why we shot him so many times, the answer is simple: evil can never be dead enough," Sheriff Ivey said...”

Microphone Musician Jaw Neck Sleeve

·
Unfair Facist
27,432 Posts
I like the statement by the DEA agent when asked why he shot a suspect 21 times with a .45 acp,

He replied, “because I only had three mags.

·
Registered
13,555 Posts
“And to those out there that might be foolish enough to ask why we shot him so many times, the answer is simple: evil can never be dead enough," Sheriff Ivey said...”

View attachment 977476
This is a very easy answer, however the faux intellectuals and the “PC” people don’t like it but it is reality.

When all of the sudden your life is legitimately 100% threatened fight or flight is very real. We can train people to fight vs flee. However no amount of training makes anyone a robot whether they are LE or a private citizen.

“Well….when they fell to the ground that’s when they should’ve stopped shooting”. Uh huh….sure. I will fault no one for shooting “extra” rounds. But that’s me.

Glad that the deputies made it through that one

·
Registered
13,555 Posts
Possibly some lessons to be learned in this video.

Lesson 1: when you realize you just continued firing to slide-lock on a guy who was on the ground (probably with an empty gun), while standing in front of the camera from your car, you will be glad the bad guy was out of frame.

Lesson 2: running is probably faster than drawing.

Lesson 3: try not to lose track of where the bad guy is during a gunfight.

All in all, these guys may not have looked cool doing it, but they pretty much handled it right, from getting out of the line of fire before worrying about shooting back, to not accidentally shooting your buddy when the bad guy comes up behind you, to not letting that extra ammo in the magazine go to waste. Biggest mistake I saw was the first guy who was hit in the leg went around his cover and out the other side, assuming the bad guy would just stay where he was - that nearly got him killed, except I think the bad guy had sprayed away all of his ammo, thanks to trying to gunfight with an AR pistol.

Lesson 4: an AR pistol is a bad idea in a close-range gunfight against real pistols.

That last little bit of video, around 0:55, will probably come up again in a lawsuit from the bad guy's family/estate. In the sound version you can hear that several shots are fired before the deputy comes into frame.

Florida sheriff's office releases video of fatal deputy-involved shooting

MELBOURNE, Fla. - On August 30th, a traffic stop of a vehicle along U.S. 192 just west of Interstate 95 ended with a deputy injured and a suspect dead. The Brevard County Sheriff’s Office said that the occupant inside the vehicle shot at deputies, who returned fire.

The Brevard County Sheriff’s Office shared a video of the incident on Thursday afternoon.

"I wanted to give everyone an update this evening on the deputy-involved shooting that took place Monday, August 30th, when two of our deputies were ambushed by an extremely violent career criminal during a traffic stop in west Melbourne," Sheriff Wayne Ivey said in the video. "The attack and ambush was perpetuated by a violent, career criminal, with a history of 40 charges for crimes including drug trafficking, aggravated assault while discharging a firearm, battery on a law enforcement officer, and attempted first-degree felony murder."

Sheriff Ivey said that the man also had prior convictions for robbery with a firearm, failing to register as a career offender, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, resisting arrest with violence, possession of controlled substances, and various probation violations.

. . . More at the link

Here is a Youtube version of the video of just the shooting with no sound, for your clicking convenience - more complete video, including the Sheriff's comments is at the link:

The full-sound video with the story is a lot better.
Lesson #2: always get off the X. Never stand in one place. Whether it’s run the draw, draw while running, draw alone obviously all situational depending. I’m remembering the video of the motorcycle cop that initiated a traffic stop and before he get his bike “secured” he was under fire. He sprinted laterally, got off the X, and engaged the assailant and made a pretty good shot, I estimate 20-30yds on a moving target while definitely under stress.

Get off the X, mentally regroup or physically regroup, and then gain the initiative.

Lesson 4: Bren, please elaborate

·
Registered
13,618 Posts
So, after the shooter goes around the drivers side of the patrol vehicle who is the deputy firing at, the guy that ran away when it started?

The guy comes around the patrol vehicle and bashes the one deputy in the head and the other deputies response is to run away?

All in all the aggression and tactics award goes to the bad guy. Luckily he ran out of ammo or the officers likely would be dead after he outflanked them.
I'm guessing he was screwed up in the head from going zero to light speed, taking a round close range, then running for his life while shooting back at dude. Not saying his tactics were the greatest, but he probably got a bit turned around for a minute.

·
Unfair Facist
27,432 Posts
I'm guessing he was screwed up in the head from going zero to light speed, taking a round close range, then running for his life while shooting back at dude. Not saying his tactics were the greatest, but he probably got a bit turned around for a minute.
I agree, I don’t think any of the officers present were even remotely prepared for the possibility of what took place.

They actually did well considering they started from relaxed and casual.

Hopefully they understand that the only reason two of them survived is the bad guy ran out of ammo.

·
Registered
13,618 Posts
I agree, I don’t think any of the officers present were even remotely prepared for the possibility of what took place.

They actually did well considering they started from relaxed and casual.

Hopefully they understand that the only reason two of them survived is the bad guy ran out of ammo.
Did he? I thought the gun malfunctioned on a misfeed or such. Maybe not. Doesn't matter, either way.

Kid didn't do too bad, either. He doesn't look old enough to shave every day, much less have trigger time on bad guys, unless he saw combat in the military. Crap went real bad, real quick. The good folks are alive, the piece of crap is dead. Figure out how to fix what mistakes were made and don't take it personally if someone critiques the performance.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
That video got my heart pumping. I grew up in that area of Brevard county and was even hired by them at one time (turned it down to work somewhere else)

All I can say is Im glad the deputies are alive. They both could have been killed. Very powerful video.

·
Unfair Facist
27,432 Posts
The deputy at the car was the most careless, he kept letting his attention wander and was standing square in the kill zone.

Fortunately he reacted quickly when the guy made his move.

·
NRA Life Member
67,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a good question I didn't even think about. Hopefully he missed, because I didn't see anybody else he was justified in shooting. However, it might have been hard to distinguish one dirtbag from another at that point.

That one I did think about. It looked to me like he turned to fire, but the deputy who had already been shot was between him and the shooter, so he went for cover at the front of his car, went around his car and came up behind the guy. A valid tactic, if maybe not the fastest way to help his partner.

I imagine, the one time he hit, that AR pistol did some damage (or maybe not, from the way the wounded deputy was getting around pretty fast) but for the most part he illustrated why I always say AR pistols are a bad choice. It lacks the advantages or either a rifle or a pistol - that big, bulky, heavy POS was too hard to control and aim, or else he might very well have won the gunfight.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I can’t stand them personally, but we should consider the possibility he had it simply because it’ll defeat most of the body armor patrol wears…or the bangers wear on occasion now.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Sounds like all the good guys are OK and that’s first and foremost a good thing.

Lots of training material in the video. Had some officers in condition white, or cream at best. Going from white to red in .02 can often lead to what’s on the video. Still, we’ve seen worse showings when the heat’s on. In my opinion only we had some vapor lock that the guys were in the process of coming out of. At least they got stuck in and fought.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I'm not sure what all was happening in that video. I would like to read about the reason for the stop etc. Also how many deputies, armed suspects, rounds fired, who got hit etc.

But it seems like there is a lot of running about.

Getting blindsided by a guy who appears to have been shot in a leg, seems like a real issue.

·
Registered
22,602 Posts
This is a very easy answer, however the faux intellectuals and the “PC” people don’t like it but it is reality.

When all of the sudden your life is legitimately 100% threatened fight or flight is very real. We can train people to fight vs flee. However no amount of training makes anyone a robot whether they are LE or a private citizen.

“Well….when they fell to the ground that’s when they should’ve stopped shooting”. Uh huh….sure. I will fault no one for shooting “extra” rounds. But that’s me.

Glad that the deputies made it through that one
Plus we don't know what was going on still on the ground. Was the perp still fumbling with his weapon?

·
Registered
13,555 Posts
Plus we don't know what was going on still on the ground. Was the perp still fumbling with his weapon?
I guess lawyers have made that relevant….I don’t really care what he was doing on the ground and I don’t think the constitution does either…. I mean if he was dead and his muscles were twitching causing the weapon to move what does that mean too?

don’t take my point the wrong way, I dislike that you guys have to worry about lawyers…attempted murder and endangering the public. How many holes that awards someone should be irrelevant. He clearly wasnt trying to comply

·
Registered
22,602 Posts
I guess lawyers have made that relevant….I don’t really care what he was doing on the ground and I don’t think the constitution does either…. I mean if he was dead and his muscles were twitching causing the weapon to move what does that mean too?

don’t take my point the wrong way, I dislike that you guys have to worry about lawyers…attempted murder and endangering the public. How many holes that awards someone should be irrelevant. He clearly wasnt trying to comply
It's ludicrous. Some people deserve killing.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts