Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link to information on the Florida SEP gathering

The above link is to the SEP board and information on the upcoming Florida SEP gathering. Several of us got together yesterday and discussed getting together for a meet-n-greet so we could put some faces with names as well as a show-n-tell and general fellowship.

We're planning this get-together at JB Starkey Park in Pasco county on October 11-12. This is a Friday and Saturday camping trip leaving on Sunday the 13. For those that work on Friday, simply come on after you get off work (consider it a bug out test :cool:).

This is going to be a family gathering so the spouse and kids are welcome. The weather should be cooler in the evening and it will be a good time for everyone to share prep ideas, talk shop and generally just have a good time. The park has walking and bike trails and I personally want to work on things like emergency shelter ideas and such.

Family-friendly and a good time. The link above provides directions, the JB Starkey website and some videos from YT on the park. This will be a campground experience with electricity and water. We want to go primitive, but not this first time. We'll do that later in the year or early next year. So this one will be for the whole family (or come by yourself if you want a weekend out).

Scout (on the SEP board) is making arrangements. If you're interested then shout out as quickly as you can. Contact me here or on the SEP board vial PM, in that thread or by email.

Alright Florida preppers...let's get together :wavey:

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Florida Gathering UPDATE

The above link is to the updated information on the upcoming Florida gathering. Reservations are already set. Looks like it's going to really be a nice turnout of folks. Several people offering to do a show-n-tell on gear and more welcome to do the same.

I know I want to work on some primitive emergency shelter and primitive fire (want to do some bow drill). Plenty of hiking trails, a really nice biking trail and lots of wild life.

Check out the link to the information thread. Give me a shout if you want to join us. Should be a great, family-oriented time.

:wavey:

·
Raven
12,746 Posts
Florida Gathering UPDATE

The above link is to the updated information on the upcoming Florida gathering. Reservations are already set. Looks like it's going to really be a nice turnout of folks. Several people offering to do a show-n-tell on gear and more welcome to do the same.

I know I want to work on some primitive emergency shelter and primitive fire (want to do some bow drill). Plenty of hiking trails, a really nice biking trail and lots of wild life.

Check out the link to the information thread. Give me a shout if you want to join us. Should be a great, family-oriented time.

:wavey:

Any plans to do a truly primitive location event, say in the middle of Ocala forest, any time soon? General gun season opens soon so it'll be off limits until Spring, but I wouldn't mind showing up to one of those things and getting schooled by some people who actually know what they're doing in the wilderness.

At any rate, good luck on this one, have fun! :wavey:

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Hey Rambo - Don't know about an Ocala primitive, but I do plan on some general gunning this year!

No reason you can't combine both!!!

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any plans to do a truly primitive location event, say in the middle of Ocala forest, any time soon? General gun season opens soon so it'll be off limits until Spring, but I wouldn't mind showing up to one of those things and getting schooled by some people who actually know what they're doing in the wilderness.

At any rate, good luck on this one, have fun! :wavey:
John,

I would love to do Ocala. Scout, a member over on the SEP board has done Ocala with a prep group in the past and it turned out really well. He said they hike in about 5-7 miles and set up camp for the weekend. I want to do this as well with a good group, though I don't as yet have a specific date. Do you (or anyone) know what the hunting season dates are in Ocala? Is it in all areas or just parts? Then we can maybe start zeroing in on a good time frame.

The gathering in a couple of weeks will be a good test run for the season as the remote camping on Friday is about 2 1/2 to 3 miles in with no water/electricity. Saturday will be with running water, electricity and bathrooms.

·
Raven
12,746 Posts
John,

I would love to do Ocala. Scout, a member over on the SEP board has done Ocala with a prep group in the past and it turned out really well. He said they hike in about 5-7 miles and set up camp for the weekend. I want to do this as well with a good group, though I don't as yet have a specific date. Do you (or anyone) know what the hunting season dates are in Ocala? Is it in all areas or just parts? Then we can maybe start zeroing in on a good time frame.

The gathering in a couple of weeks will be a good test run for the season as the remote camping on Friday is about 2 1/2 to 3 miles in with no water/electricity. Saturday will be with running water, electricity and bathrooms.
I'm going this weekend to take my nephews out for the first time. After the 17th its closed to camping until the end of January. Still will be nice and brisk out when it opens back up.

·
Confused...
1,084 Posts
guys, Scout and GHB are going to Starkey park in Pasco. not even close to Ocala. i'm interested too, but it's getting confusing...

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
guys, Scout and GHB are going to Starkey park in Pasco. not even close to Ocala. i'm interested too, but it's getting confusing...
JB Starkey Park in Pasco in a couple of weeks (Oct 12th). We'll shoot for Ocala when it opens back up, say February 2014 give or take.

This leaves four months in-between for other locations. Ideas could include more camping trips, possibly combined with some canoeing or fishing. Ideas for a get together are welcome.
:cool:

·
Confused...
1,084 Posts
JB Starkey Park in Pasco in a couple of weeks (Oct 12th). We'll shoot for Ocala when it opens back up, say February 2014 give or take.

This leaves four months in-between for other locations. Ideas could include more camping trips, possibly combined with some canoeing or fishing. Ideas for a get together are welcome.
:cool:
thank you for clarification.

any proposed location in Ocala yet?

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you for clarification.

any proposed location in Ocala yet?
I don't have a specific locale in mind. Scout has been out there before for primitive, remote hikes/camping so I'll seek his input. Open to suggestions though. Feb would be good weather for it, cold but no misquitoes!

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Speaking of misquitoes, I'll be bringing a couple of citronella candles for Friday/Saturday. If ya got something, bring it to keep the little nastys at bay!

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Weather is gonna be AWESOME! dipping into the 60's at night and not cracking 90 in the day - perfect!!!

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Definitely a greta time.

Actually had to bug out of the original camp site in the dark the first night (to move some cars for no good reason...) Bit of an adventure.

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts