Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
"Old Bill"
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it not time to have an armed police presence in all schools throughout the nation?

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
I’d be happy to start with legal conceal carry. I’m not a cop.

Reactions: G19 fan

·
Registered
15,734 Posts
This school (like most schools in Florida) had an armed police presence....

But that cop (or , since this was a high school, most likely 2 cops) cannot be everywhere at once , and things like this will still happen.

We don't know a lot about how exactly this one unfolded yet; it appears as though this kid somehow was able to gain access the school building itself to set off the fire alarm, bringing his victims to him as they exited;

As much as schools need that armed police presence (and maybe some armed and committed teachers as well) , they need to have good physical security, with controlled access points that are well secured; while things like tall fences, locked gates, cameras, electric lock doors to access points (like the front office) and other such things may make the schools look and feel somewhat prison-like to some people, making our schools into fortresses would go a ways to making days like yesterday less common than they already are (and in truth, they are not that common).....

In a relatively free society such as ours, bad things are going to happen occasionally no matter what; such is price of liberty.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
It could look something like this, right? Armed presence at schools.
Property Architecture Real estate Composite material Iron

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Here in Texas, we have uniformed school district security, local agency DARE and other similar programs police and school district police. Also, Texas recently passed a law creating the position of "school marshal" who can be armed.

Some school districts don't have their own police, but I can only hope they have at least a small security force for the smallest or poorest districts if not.

·
Registered
12,597 Posts
It’s horrible to think that kids have to worry about this kind of crap now.
It really is, one of my cousin’s is a wreck. She is very close to several people who lost best friends yesterday. Spent most of yesterday/this morning in tears, and is now terrified going to school. All schools in Broward apparently went on lockdown today as a precaution and I’m sure she is freaking out. My other cousin is calmer, but people next to her in class are wrecks.

It ****ing sucks.

·
Registered
15,750 Posts
I have a major problem with evacuating for unconfirmed fires and bomb threats.

I work near a major target. I think about this daily. My partner and I frequently discuss options and best routes to get in quickly and stealthily.

I think a change in policies is necessary. Schools are locked down now better than ever before. Almost all the schools in my area have two edits for every classroom. Getting the targets to come out to you is the easiest way to get a high body count.

Not to mention that a large device is a lot easier to get in place in a van in the parking lot than it is to get inside the school. Another reason evacuation is stupid.

I have raised this point in meetings with the local targets admin, and they looked at me like worms were crawling out of my face.

·
Registered
15,734 Posts

I work near a major target. I think about this daily. My partner and I frequently discuss options and best routes to get in quickly and stealthily.

I think a change in policies is necessary. Schools are locked down now better than ever before. Almost all the schools in my area have two edits for every classroom. Getting the targets to come out to you is the easiest way to get a high body count.

Not to mention that a large device is a lot easier to get in place in a van in the parking lot than it is to get inside the school. Another reason evacuation is stupid.

I have raised this point in meetings with the local targets admin, and they looked at me like worms were crawling out of my face.
Sheep have a very difficult time understanding how the wolf thinks; and even when it is explained to them, they refuse to accept the reality of things, because it is simply too frightening to contemplate.

·
Mr. Awesome
12,194 Posts
As much as schools need that armed police presence (and maybe some armed and committed teachers as well) , they need to have good physical security, with controlled access points that are well secured; while things like tall fences, locked gates, cameras, electric lock doors to access points (like the front office) and other such things may make the schools look and feel somewhat prison-like to some people, making our schools into fortresses would go a ways to making days like yesterday less common than they already are (and in truth, they are not that common).....
Other side of the coin: Once the bad guys get into the fortifications, it's that much harder for responding LEO's to get in, also. Nothing is free. I'm sure I'm not the only cop who has been locked out of a school they were called to respond to.

Reactions: pgg00

·
Registered
33,049 Posts

Might it be unfair to suggest that few people, and especially admin and other bureaucrats, want to be informed there are problems that may require hard decisions from them. ;)

·
Registered
33,049 Posts
Sheep have a very difficult time understanding how the wolf thinks; and even when it is explained to them, they refuse to accept the reality of things, because it is simply too frightening to contemplate.
Well, if we're going to go with another sheepdog analogy (really a simile?) ...

Apologies to Lt Col Dave Grossman, but I've never cared for the Sheepdog/Sheep/Wolf comparison.

I've never understood how even a sheepdog would be expected to understand a wolf, because it's not a wolf. It's a dog. It can, by instinct and training, respond to danger offered to the sheep by a wolf, or wolves, but it's still a dog with teeth. (Now, if a sheepdog were to go feral, and acquire a taste for lamb and mutton? It still wouldn't be a wolf.)

I do tend to agree that from the perspective of the "sheep", the sheepdog is probably just another kind of potential predator, and fear its teeth, just not as much as the real predator (wolf).

·
Registered
33,049 Posts
Now that it seems some of the inevitable "copycat" episodes may be settling down (fingers crossed), let's hope that the next young person with mental/emotional problems, and who follows all the news coverage and social media activity about such things, isn't busy carefully making notes of what happened in the FL school and how it's receiving so much coverage and attention.

After all, how many suspects have been found to have studied other such incidents when thinking about how they'd like to do something similar?

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
A thought, How about ONLY 1 or 2 doors for All entry with a metal detector,or a set up similar to TSA safeguards

I am sure this can be argued, seems it's worth a try.

·
Banned
16,936 Posts
Is it not time to have an armed police presence in all schools throughout the nation?
They do. And here is a bored guy who is not the best nor the brightest. He couldn't conduct a non-leading interview to get out of a wet paper bag.

·
Banned
16,936 Posts
Reactions: Gray_Rider

·
Banned
16,936 Posts
A thought, How about ONLY 1 or 2 doors for All entry with a metal detector,or a set up similar to TSA safeguards

I am sure this can be argued, seems it's worth a try.
TSA has problems in and of itself, hiring thugs, and not getting proper security clearances. So, those are the last people you need on the job. When traversing through Miami from Bolivia I wondered who the gangbanger thugs were. They were wearing TSA uniforms.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts