Florida man with concealed gun arrested trying to enter high school football game, police say

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by 4Rules, Sep 1, 2018.

1. 4Rules

4Rules

Palm Beach Lakes High School district officers arrested Joshua Aaron Bland, 36, on charges of possessing a weapon on school property and violating his concealed firearm permit. According to police, Bland told them he knowingly brought his handgun to the school and did not remember it was illegal to have a gun on school property. Police discovered Bland’s gun while screening fans attempting to enter the stadium for the game against Lake Worth High and he was denied admittance, they said. When other officers approached him and initiated a pat down, they said Bland told them, “I have a CCW (concealed carry weapon). My pistol is right here.” The 9 mm pistol, a Glock model 43, was recovered from a holster on his right hip, police said. The gun was loaded with six rounds of ammunition and Bland had a second magazine with nine rounds in it, police said.
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/p...chool-football-gun-arrest-20180831-story.html

2. Dave514

Dave514

3. fastbolt

fastbolt

Damn. However, it's the obligation of people lawfully carrying concealed firearms (or other weapons) to be cognizant of any restricted areas. Responsibility can rest heavily on shoulders.

Wolfie38S and Spats McGee like this.
  4. shadowgunner9

shadowgunner9 This used to be AMERICA........

5. BuckeyeGlock77

BuckeyeGlock77

Your comment ;)

MO Fugga, Bruce M and Wolfie38S like this.
  6. bubbatime

bubbatime

The criminalization of non-criminal, and constitutional guaranteed behavior... got to love this country.

arkdweller22, dkochan, 10or45 and 3 others like this.
  7. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

Well if he carried on school grounds isn’t that a felony in most places?

Guess we won’t have to worry about this moron making the rest of us responsible carriers look bad anymore.

Wolfie38S likes this.
  8. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

I do not agree with the law in regards to carry on school premises but it is the law and he deserves what he gets.

Bruce M, GP4L, Cpt.J and 3 others like this.
  9. fatduk1963

fatduk1963

This is coming from a state where cops wait to go after a school shooter , who do they think will save lives ? A good Aramican with a CCW who is Willing to lose his or her life that's WHO !!!!

Evil only happens when good people don't step up to the plate and do what needs to be done.

10. fredj338

fredj338

We have all sorts of constitutional rights that get regulated, speech, assembly, gun possession, etc. Being aware of those regulations is our responsibility. I dont like the law either but I am not going to jail for violating it either, not w/o a very good cause.
    The guy carrying on school grounds probably thinks as you do, why he is in trouble. Almost every state has laws against carrying in schools, no federal bldg, on a plane, in another state, in some cites, our responisibilty to know.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    IndyGunFreak, Bruce M, GP4L and 2 others like this.
  11. fastbolt

fastbolt

Well, the specific constitutionality of CCW, let alone everywhere, in public has yet to have been determined by the high court in recent times. If you're looking for historical precedent, restrictions against openly carry and concealed handguns was accepted on a city-by-city basis in many states even back in 19th century America (and some of its territories), when the meaning of the Constitution and BoR were still freshly in the minds of young America.

Until such time as the federal high court desires to get around to specifically considering a CCW (or open carry) case because of differing opinions being rendered by the growing number of circuit court decisions, it's probably going to remain a hodge-podge of state-by-state laws.

Yes, this means that "criminality" due to unlawful behavior will continue to exist because of how different states decide they wish to legislate such things for their own residents, and as long as it isn't successfully challenged at either their own state's high court level (against their state constitution), or the federal high court, nationwide level.

Personal feelings and wishes aren't going to trump state laws, notwithstanding however many people may like to think they are entitled to interpret law for themselves.

It may grate, but the founders of our country (and its constitution and BoR) likely didn't come up with the idea of a supreme court to settle matters just to create some jobs for themselves. They knew states were going to disagree upon various issues from time to time.

Bruce M likes this.
  12. fastbolt

fastbolt

BTW, while I no longer wish to teach CCW classes in my retirement, when I learned that the last change in the state laws included removing the exemption for CCW licensees to carry firearms (and ammunition, even separate from a firearm) onto school grounds, I notified some people I knew who were currently teaching such classes, to make sure they were aware of the change and could incorporate it in the training curriculum.

Wolfie38S and fredj338 like this.
  13. powernoodle

powernoodle

Not exactly. It is a criminal act to bring a gun on school property in that jurisdiction. In mine too. There is no constitutional right to do anything you want with a gun.

All constitutional rights have limits. We have the right to free speech, but we cannot reveal the nuclear launch codes on Fox News and claim that we were just exercising the First Amendment.

Either obey the law or not. That falls squarely - 100% - on the guy who tried to go through security with a gun on him. I'm as libertarian as anyone, but the remedy is to change the law, not break the law.

10or45, MAG40 Student, Cpt.J and 3 others like this.
  14. fredj338

fredj338

Part of the problem is many states do not require such classes, so many people really have no idea when & where they can carry, much less when they are allowed to use it in SD?

APERS likes this.
  15. Duke45Big

Duke45Big All anti-gunner stink worse than filled diapers.

JUST OUT RIGHT DUMB. I can hear him now in front of the judge. Your honor I am not guilty because I have 2 brains. One is lost and the other one is out looking for it.

Wolfie38S likes this.
  16. fastbolt

fastbolt

Notwithstanding the requirement of just optional availability of classroom training being required for CCW in someone's resident state ...

If you're going to carry in another state, it's pretty arguably your responsibility to know and conform to their laws. Freedom doesn't mean cessation of individual responsibility to conform the society's laws.

It's not the same thing, but in a similar manner ...

When you get your DL for driving in your resident state, when you sign your name you're promising to be responsible for knowing the rules-of-the-road. Whether or not you actually make the effort to learn them doesn't release you from that responsibility. (They even make a driver's handbook for the most common things a driver might need to know. ;) ) While the DLC/DLA didn't require visiting out-of-state licensed drivers to learn all of the rules of the road in the other signatory states they might visit, they can still be held responsible for violation of those laws when operating motor vehicles within them. Reciprocity when it comes to CCW licensees and out-of-state laws? Well, there you go ...

I try to err on the conservative side of things when it comes to potentially prohibited locations when carrying out-of-state under LEOSA.

Wolfie38S and fredj338 like this.
  17. fastbolt

fastbolt

And bad things can happen to even good people when they don't make the effort to learn, know and understand the laws governing the land. And especially in their own states.

Wolfie38S likes this.
  18. First shot

First shot

I'm having a hard time imagining that anyone wouldn't be aware of the entire school/guns debacle. If someone is savy enough to purchase a handgun and acquire a CCW permit, class or no class, how they could be oblivious to the issue is beyond me... Are there caves to live in there?

19. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

A debacle, a law, and what's socially expedient are not necessarily the same thing.

First shot likes this.
  20. First shot

First shot

Okay, but what does that have to do with someone apparently having no awareness of a pretty well publicized issue that involves schools and guns....hence the tongue in cheek, living in a cave comment....