Florida Gun Shop Sells Broken "new" firearms

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by RIPPED, Feb 10, 2010.

1. filthy infidel

filthy infidel 100% Infidel

+1 here.

2. vafish

vafish

How do we know the gun shop employee did not check the serial number?

Where is the serial number on a Kel-tec PF9?

IIRC it is on the rear of the frame just under the slide. Depending upon which way the gun was laying in it's box (ie if the crack was down) you could easily pick it up, read the serial number and not see the crack on the other side.

I don't see the fault of the gun shop employee, they showed the customer the display gun, got a new one with the finish the customer wanted from the back, read the serial number off of it and did the paperwork.

The 2 most important people to check the gun did fail. The person that packed it in the box at Kel-tec and the customer who bought it with out looking it over.

The guy who sent his wife to buy a gun without going along, and then posts his whining on the internet complaining about the gun shop after Kel-tec has replaced the gun with a new one, is a tool. What he is doing to the gun shop is bordering on libel.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010

3. Thorazine

Thorazine

Besides...

Isn't it customary to remove any newly purchased pistol (especially one you plan to carry) from the manufacturers box and fondle it a little... perhaps load it up and even holster it... once you get in your automobile before you drive off from the dealers location?

4. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

Another internet crucifixion.

I have shopped at B&H since they opened over 30 years ago.

Only a moron would think that they would intentionally sell a gun with a crack as big as Rosie's butt. How long would they have gotten away with that?

And only the same moron would think that this is part of some vast intercontinental crime scheme to launder smashed murder weapons to innocent women. :tinfoil:

I have never been in there where two people did not physically check the SN of a firearm before it left the store.

The owner offered to send the pistol back to Kel-Tec for replacement or repair. He did not have a parkerized one in stock. He also offered that the customer could take it to Kel-Tec himself and have it fixed while-he-waits. The customer was much better served by making one trip to Kel-Tec, then by having to make two trips to the store.

There might be a problem with the customer's initial contact with a middleman in the store, but I have never had any gun store not piss me off at least once, even B&H. No excuse, just life.

BTW, I have never worked in that store, but I am a friend of everyone who works there (except the one you lynching bastids got fired).

ML

5. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

I agree.

Every time I have ever dealt with the folks at B&H, it has been a good experience. Yes it was a mishap on a number of people's parts, but it's not like it was a huge deal anyway seeing that Keltec is right there in Cocoa Beach anyway. Take the the damn gun to them and have them fix it.

6. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

The complainer needs to get a life. The gunshop may or may not have done anything at all wrong and assumptions made by the aforementioned complainer aren't evidence.

I won't be buying anything from them, but it's because I'm in Tulsa, not because they're jerks. IF there's a jerk in this scenario it's the complainer. Man up and grow a pair and stop whinging about your emo distress. It's FIXED, shaddup.

7. High Altitude

High Altitude

IMHO, the problem was that the manager did not sit down with the customer when he returned and communicate completely all his options, pros and cons etc.........

The very first thing the manager should of said is......

"Don't worry at all, we will take care of it 100%, we stand behind what we sell and make sure every customer walks away satisfied. Usually we swap it out for a new firearm but we don't have one in stock. Kel-tec is just down the street and will take care of it, they have some of the best customer service in the industry. You can even take the firearm to the front office and they will fix it while you wait. I could also have one of my employees take it down there for you and I will call you when it is ready to be picked up in a day or two. By taking the firearm yourself you will get a new firearm the quickest way possible instead of waiting for a new one to be delivered or waiting for us to do it. I could also return your money if that is what you would prefer. Again, I am very sorry this happened, we are 100% dedicated to getting you a new firearm. Here is a box of 9mm ammo for your troubles. How would you prefer us to handle it?"

game over, happy new customer for life who buys lots of new firearms and tells everyone he knows what a great shop it is and that it is THE place to buy a firearm, any customer in the store who over hears is super impressed and tells themselves this is why I shop here and tells all their buddies about what happened today at the gun shop, no more internet drama, instead all these people reading the forums learn what an outstanding shop it is etc....... Imagine all the increased business and free advertising on the internet they would of received.

Instead, the guy hurts the reputation of the shop.

I say fire the guy, he doesn't know how to do his job correctly.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  8. Novocaine

Novocaine

Let’s not muddy the waters here. The owner didn’t offer jack but an apology after the fact.

9. 18jms

18jms I love Guns

I dont care how long you've shopped there. I'm local i've been there and seen them in action. I will not shop in that store and everyone I know gets steered clear.

10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Beauty. But this moron (me) sees the problem that obviously "two people did NOT physically check the SN of the firearm before it left the store."

So while your experiences may have been positive, this customer's experience was not.

And what to do about it? The customer felt stonewalled. The wife bought a NEW gun, her first gun. And the gunshop only offered they she should send it to the factory herself.

I, personally, would expect the gunshop to do better than that. How about a price break in the difference between new and used? She obviously bought a used and trashed gun, so she should only pay for a used and trashed gun, then send it to the factory. And if the gunshop didn't want to offer money, they could have offered ammo or holsters or anything to acknowledge the customer didn't buy a new gun from them as advertised.

And since prior customers report that every gun they bought was double checked before it left the store, then how do you explain a trashed one getting out the door? Conspiracy theory may or may not explain it, but it should be looked at, and it can be used as leverage to find out what really happened and to get the appropriate fix.

11. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

If Walmart sells me a new computer (in the sealed box) and I take it home I find it's dysfunctional. Walmart is not required to take the computer back, in fact, a lot of times you will find a piece of paper inside the box where the manufacturer says NOT to return to the store. Walmart has a choice whether to allow me an exchange. Now, lets assume that Walmart doesn't have any of the same model in stock and I'm not willing to accept a similar model because it's the wrong color. Walmart suggests that I take it up the road to the manufacturer as they will be able to replace it quickly. I then go up the road, get my new computer and leave.

Why is there any fault in the store for the broken computer?

I could only see B&H being at fault if they are REQUIRED to open the box to check the S/N. I know when I bought my G23 from them, it came sealed and I did not open it until I got to my car. If they did not open the box, how can they have any culpability in this? They didn't have another gun with the finish the customer wanted, so they suggested he go down the street and get in replaced by the manufacturer.

12. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

It was a new gun. Otherwise I doubt Kel-tec would have serviced it at no cost.

My experience is that, for new guns, they do not open the sealed box.

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

There is fault. If you go to Walmart and the computer is damaged, and they know it is damaged, they may sell it to you at a discounted price.

And even if they didn't know it was damaged, the manager may still want to make it good for you.

Nice attempt by a business to have a hands-off approach on the products they sell, but it doesn't always work that way. Managers want happy customers and often take responsibility for the products they sell and the inconvienance to customers who get broken products from THEIR store.

14. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

How are they to know the product is damaged in a sealed box?

That is a manager going above and beyond. It does not mean that the problem was with the store.

I work in fast food part of the year and a lot of times, a customer will order wrong and then complain when we make something the way they ask. Ie. "I want a double cheesburger plain." and then they want it replaced because it had cheese. We replace it. Do we have to? Definitely not because we were not at fault but it is just easier to eat the cost then to fight with them.

B&H just decided not to go above and beyond. They did exactly what they should have, in my opinion. They did not have a replacement in stock, so they sent to customer to where he could get the problem fixed quickly. They could have taken it from him, shipped it off, waited for it to come back, called him, waited for him to come in, then he gets the gun back. Or he can go down the road and get it replaced immediately. I'd rather have the second option happen.

15. 18jms

18jms I love Guns

I work at Wal-mart i dont care who knows it.

The manufacturer puts that piece of paper in the box not Walmart. If you buy something new from Wal-Mart thats an Electronic you have 15 days with a reciept to bring it in for any reason and get an exchange, refund, replacement or store credit.

Walmart dosen't sell damaged items. Anything damaged gets put in claims and sent back to the distributor. However if something is damaged and is still on the shelf for some reason and you ask for a discount from a manager you will most likely get it if thats what you want. They rather sell it, than claim it and have to ship it back.

Wal-Mart will bend over backwards for customers when it comes to a problem with an item.

16. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

She's a noob. She didn't know what to look for.

I live in the Orlando area. Merritt Island is about an hour away and I was actually meaning to head out there one day and check them out. Guess I just saved myself a trip.

17. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

I know the manufacturer puts that in there. That was my point. The manufacturer does not want the item returned to the store as it is faster and easier to return to the manufacturer.

I was just using Walmart as an example as they are everywhere. It could have been any store and I was not trying to pick on Walmart.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  18. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

Or you could take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt and see for yourself.

Many of us have had great experiences at the store.

19. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

That's ok. Some customers have your standard. Some customers have my standard.

Customers with my standard will not accept a gun being sold as new when it was trashed. Especially if a newbie wife was looking at a specific gun and liked it, and then they give her another gun ASSURING her it was the same.

Newbie wife didn't know what I know. If you want a gun, take the one you just looked at and handled. My concern wasn't so much about a gun being trashed, but more the little things. If I decide to buy a gun, I'm looking at the sight alignment, the cylinder gap, the smoothness of the trigger, the finish, etc.

I'm not taking some other gun in a box. I want the one I just looked at.

The newbie wife didn't know to do that. She didn't know to speak up about it. And she got burned.

If the gunshop wants her future business, they've got to make it right to her. By my standard, and by her and her husband's standard, they didn't make it right.

20. 18jms

18jms I love Guns

hockeyrcks9901 when you were a Wendys manager or if you still are what do you do when a customer is unhappy with food?