Glock Talk banner

Florida CCW Laws....Are Knives Included?

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Gary Slider 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I am looking for some knowledgeable people on the Florida CCW laws and how knives are treated or looked at in the law.

Specifically I am wondering if these fixed blade knives that have blades of about 4 inches or so that we all see on custom knife websites and magazine covers would be legal to carry concealed if you have a valid Florida CCW permit. If they are NOT legal to carry with a Florida CCW, are they legal to carry in PLAIN VIEW?

I think back in my state of Ohio, knives aren't included in the CCW law. I am not totally sure on that though.

Can anyone school me on these issues in FLORIDA? I'd really like to know a bit more about it. Of course if you have info that I am not correct about the Ohio law I'd like to know that as well.

Also I have seen several different mentions of what is a LEGAL POCKET KNIFE here in Florida. Some places say you can't have one with a blade over 3 inches, some say 4 inches in length. Does anyone have a definitive answer on that, if there is such a thing? Would pocket knives be included in the CCW law? What if you wanted to carry a "pocket knife" with a blade longer than 4 inches? Can you do it if you have a CCW permit?

Anyone?

Thanks for the help and the time.

Nalajr

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
A Delray Beach Police officer told me that I could carry a 4 inch blade concealed and i don't have a CCW. I also dont see how it would matter if it was fixed or a folder 4 inches is just that 4 inches.

I would think that if you are able to carry a fire arm you would be able to carry any length knife. My dad who does have a CCW has said numerous times he could carry a sword if he really wanted to.

#7 ·
Go to
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

This is Florida's Reciprocity page.

Scroll to the bottom and read the numbers out from each state listed mean. A 1 means this:

(1) While Florida's law allows licensees to carry stun guns, knives, and billy clubs in a concealed fashion, the laws in these states allow for concealed carry of handguns or pistols ONLY, NOT WEAPONS IN GENERAL. Florida license holders are prohibited from carrying other types of weapons while in these states.

So you can carry concealed knives with a FL CCW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.