close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Floppy Disk Trouble!!!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by denfoote, Dec 21, 2006.

1. denfoote

denfoote MENACE

I have a floppy disk that has pictures of my late mother's funeral on it.
    Today, I inserted it into the drive (A) and hit start:run: A:// OK.
    The computer is telling me that the disk is not formatted!! It was a preformatted disk to start with!! It is also asking me if I want to format the disk. I know that if I do that, all the data will be lost!!
    What do I do?? How do I get my pics off of this monster!! I'm not keen on buying some expensive data recovery program just for one disk!!

HELP!!!

2. chbix

chbix

that is one of the reasons that floppy drives are all but obsolete. I would say try it in the same computer you used to put the pictures on the disk, try a different computer if using the same one, and try a different disk drive as well. Thats all I can say other than that you may have to do the data recovery thing.

3. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

You can try data recovery programs. Do a search or go to a really nerdy computer forum and they should be able to hook you up. I just recovered a hard drive using "undelete", my computer decided to make every file a orphan file and delete them all. My wife and I were so ticked because we had not been making our backups like we should.

We now have a networked storage device with 2ea 200GB drives that are mirrored aka RAID 1 and an external USB for temporay storage.

Floppy disks just don't last long, a couple years and sometimes less. Lose the floppy drive, reorder your boot devices and use CDs, DVDs or flash drives.

4. darin2

darin2

If you don't get it working, send me an email. I have professional data recovery software and would be glad to try and pull the data off for you at no cost.

Darin

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I would try it in amther PC or floppy drive.Try restarting the the PC and try the disk again.If it auto loads,cancel it and click Start>My Computer and click the floppy drive there.If that doesn't get it you can try this small program and see if it will copy the floppy to the hard drive.

http://majorgeeks.com/Unstoppable_Copier_d2623.html

6. denfoote

denfoote MENACE

I know the data is there. I downloaded some shareware data recovery program and confirmed this.
    The demo copy would not let me recover the pics!! There are only five of them on the whole disk. But, they are the only record I have of my mother's funeral! I'd really like to pull them off and move them to DVD or some other permanent storage media!!