close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Float-plane flying

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JonnyB, Sep 14, 2004.

1. JonnyB

JonnyB Millennium Member

Greetings, y'all.

I had fun the other evening, putting just over an hour on a 90hp Champ on EDO 1400 floats. I picked up my 'S' rating a few years ago, but haven't recently flown off the water. I still remembered (vaguely) how it's done.

The wind was kicking pretty good, so there was a lot of turbulence over the shoreline trees. The wind was also across the short side of the lakes we were using, so the takeoffs were 'L' shaped, starting into the wind, but ending up crosswind, then a turn back into the wind to get over the trees.

A couple TOs were "confined area" types, where the plane stays over the water until you can easily get over the treeline. In several places, the shore rises 20 feet from the water, and had 50-70 foot trees on top. When we landed, the floats were just over the tops. Had it been a still evening, the owner/instructor wants the floats to brush the treetops (not *quite* literally) on the approach. This is especially true on calm days, coming into small lakes.

Tons of fun! Try it some time.

JB

2. HKMark23

HKMark23 Millennium Member

Sounds like fun!
    I've always wanted to try floats as well as skis.
    When I still lived in Wisconsin both were a common sight but I just always missed my chances.
    One day............;f

3. Skyhook

Skyhook

I have a little time in a C-185 on amphib floats, but never went the distance to get the ride/rating. The FBO on my field just outfitted his '0-Time' Citabria on Edos, so maybe when the bug bites.. who knows?
    There's a big trade-off to be a water bug. Even with that turbo Connie up front, that C-185 flew heavy and slow. NOISY, too!!