close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Flight Sim overkill

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Texas T, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

2. CDM

CDM

Something tells me it would be cheaper to go fly something real...

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I'll bet that was the guy that used to keep shooting me down in Red Baron.:)

4. STYX

STYX

i have flown sims like that for the FAA - not that great.

5. geoffinak

geoffinak

Well you can never get to much practice with working on your scan and or planning for a real flight to a real airport. I have a friend who has worked for one of the biggest commuters, just went 121 after being there 12 years rising to Assistant Chief Pilot and Director of training. Not bad for the kid who I wrote my checks to for my ATP rating. He said he would do sim checks on pre-employment candidates and even the new hires would blow right through them. However, get them in a real airplane, even after being hired and flying the line and they scared the bee geezes out of him. In real IFR they could not fly, their situational awareness was not there, they were always 2 miles behind the aircraft and most had a real fear of hand flying IFR. Terrible pilots even after 6 to 12 months. Now I did terrible in simulators, good enough to pass Captain Checks for 135 at Flight Safety on the MU 2, the C- 500, King Air- 200 and 90, C-421 turbine, also flew the Piper Cheyenne . Now the training is good and there are many things to learn so I can not compare flight safety to this gentlemens obvious love aviation and putting together a nice panoramic sim. But with out the feel of the airplane, the little differences in the sound the little seat in the pants feel of a real machine nothing, at least to me, can replace real air under your chair. Now don’t get me wrong, the instruments were also what I was reading correct and when you do the cross check anything less then trusting your instruments and you may find yourself upside down. So I am in way saying, do not trust your instruments. That's the 1st thing you learn and the last if you do not follow it. With me it was, you strap the plane on and you fly it, not the other way around, look at the panel and follow it around.
    Nice layout though, if you don’t mind can you list the specs and the cost to put this puppy together and do you fly the sim for fun or working on a rating or just brush up before a check.. Inquiring minds would like to know
    Thanks
    Geoff

6. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Geoff, it's not mine. I found it on the net somewhere.