Flight Of The Phoenix

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Texas T, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

In one of the first threads in this forum I asked about everyone's favorite flying or aviation related movies. One of mine was Flight Of The Phoenix, released in 1965. I went to the movies last week and they played a trailer for a new release under the same name. Details as follows:

CAST & CREW

Director: John Moore

Based on a screenplay by: Lukas Heller

and the novel by: Elleston Trevor

Screenplay by: Scott Frank and Edward Burns

Producers: John Davis, William Aldrich, Wyck Godfrey, T. Alex Blum

Cast: Dennis Quaid, Giovanni Ribisi, Tyrese Gibson, Miranda Otto, Hugh Laurie

SYNOPSIS
    An action-adventure in which a group of air crash survivors - cast-offs from society who will never be missed - are stranded in the Mongolian desert with no hope of rescue. As they attempt to build a new plane from the wreckage of the old one, in hopes of flying back to civilization, they experience a rebirth of their own.

I wonder how it will compare to the original?

2. HKMark23

HKMark23 Millennium Member

The original is what I call a Sunday Sofa Sucker;

Your getting ready to go out and enjoy a beautifull Sunday outdoors, and you have the TV on for background noise, when you hear a particular movie starting.
    You stop what your doing & sit down to watch "just a few minutes".
    The next thing you know your laying on the couch watching the ending credits roll surrounded by empty bags of microwave popcorn and crushed soda cans........;)

I love the original & while Im happy to hear they are doing a remake I hope the dont screw it up with allot of special effects, plot changes or PC stuff.

Do you remember the release date?

3. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Looks like it’s scheduled for a Christmas release. I haven’t seen it (of course) but I do know a thing or three about Hollywood. The fact that the cast is now of mixed race and mixed sex leads me to believe it will devolve into PC claptrap. And would you cast someone who goes by "Sticky Fingaz" (from IMDB) in a serious movie?

Look for the pilot to be rabid homophobe and the German aeronautical engineer to be a flamer.

4. Kearsage

Kearsage

The remake should be different from the original in at least one respect. Paul Mantz, one the greatest Hollywood stunt flyers, was killed during filming of the original when the fuselage of the Phoenix broke behind the cockpit shortly after takeoff, causing the plane to crash. The Phoenix can and probably will be done by computer this time. Mantz was one of the pioneers in film. One of his best remembered stunts is the belly landing of the B-17 at the beginning of Twelve O'Clock High.

5. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC

Oh man, I love the original so much that I cringed when I saw this topic.

Do you suppose they'll show the tired weather beaten faces with dried skin peeling off ? Show the 2 crash survivors with their throats cut by the wandering Arabs ? The crazed grin of Ernest Borgnine ?

Oh please Hollywood, don't screw this one up.

6. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Yeah, Ernest actually did a credible sinister. Too bad he got typecast away from serious acting by McHale's Navy.

7. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

No no no no no no no Different contineent, different crew, and no James Stewart saying, "ahhh, you, you, ahh, you build toy airplanes, do you?"

They have done a few successful re-makes cause they didn't jack around with the original story, they just re-told it with a modern cast for a modern audience.

Why don't we send them ten thousand E-mails demanding they treat it like it is, a new movie, so give it a new name, like FLIGHT OF THE GOONEY BIRD.

8. Texas T

They can't. It's not a DC-3. ;f

9. Texas T

[indignant tone]They are not toy airplanes, they are model airplanes! [/indignant tone]

;a

10. Bill Powell

A model aeroplane is inherently more stable because it has no pilot to maintain trim, and so forth and so on. I can visualize every scene in that movie, and remember a lot of the lines.

James Stewart, being a pilot, gave the picture a believeability that a lot of actors could not have.

We've used several engines in the mines that used the bang start.

They've been showing Winchester 73 a lot lately, another very good one.

11. Skyhook

Skyhook

get killed when he flew that contraption (Phoenix)? Or do I have my movies twisted-up?

12. Bill Powell

Yes, it broke in two behind the pilot. Mantz was at the controls.

13. flyandscuba

flyandscuba

Although I expect it will be an entertaining movie to go see -- it will never be a remake of the original. They've made quite a few changes, including throwing in the ever present modern day Hollywood staple -- SEX. Miranda Otto is included in the cast as a member of the downed airplane's passengers or crew.

About the only similarity I see will be reconstructing an airplane from parts in the desert and the fact that like James Stewart, Dennis Quaid is a pilot in real life....

You can see some film trailers here:

www.flightofthephoenix.com