Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some one from the civilian world tell what this defines?
Where are the schools to instruct in this field,as well as some of the requirments etc.?
It seems there is some confusion on this,maybe a lot of confusion.
I have tried ask jeeves and google and have no solid answers.
Thanks .

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I got mine by passing the written test. I then got a job as a FE. After completing the training and passing the FAA simulator exam, I received the FE ticket.

·
Registered
46 Posts
requirements are:

2nd class medical
5 hrs performing flight engineer duties

then sit for the written
then an oral and pratical exam.

i'm getting mine just to have it once i finish school. 98% of all companies hiring FE's require a airframe and powerplant certificate in addition to a FE certificate. i currently have my A and will be finished with my powerplant in feburary. plus like 80% of all FE's go from 3rd crewman to right seat to left seat

Will

·
Plane go boom.
130 Posts
i'm not too sure i'd pursue an FE these days unless you really want to work in some third world hole. most of the first world aircraft don't have FE's anymore. that being said, i engineered on both the 727 and the DC-10. i saw the world in the -10 and loved it.

the -10 had a great big engineers table-top. we had an old joke: "what's the difference between a dog and and DC-10 flight engineer?" ans: "the dog sleeps under the table.

·
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
3,532 Posts
Originally posted by Kill Bill
i'm not too sure i'd pursue an FE these days unless you really want to work in some third world hole. most of the first world aircraft don't have FE's anymore. that being said, i engineered on both the 727 and the DC-10. i saw the world in the -10 and loved it.

the -10 had a great big engineers table-top. we had an old joke: "what's the difference between a dog and and DC-10 flight engineer?" ans: "the dog sleeps under the table.
Exactly. :supergrin: I fondly remember my DC10 FE days. Show up, kick tires, get coffee. Set power, sleep, shmooze with hot junior FA's. Repeat.

FWIW skip the FE ticket. Nobody hires professional engineers anymore. You get hired as a pilot with the expectation that you'll FE for a bit then move up to a window seat.

·
Plane go boom.
130 Posts
Originally posted by Bushflyr
Exactly. :supergrin: I fondly remember my DC10 FE days. Show up, kick tires, get coffee. Set power, sleep, shmooze with hot junior FA's. Repeat.
i remember the hardest thing on the -10 was pushing the "parallel gens" button after start.

i may be a captain now but i sure do miss the back seat of that old -10.

·
Plane go boom.
130 Posts
god, no. especially since it was really bad back then. still, it was the most fun i've had with my airline.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts