close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fleet maintenance

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by trifecta, Jan 9, 2010.

1. trifecta

trifecta

Was wondering who maintains your fleet. A local city is about to go to a private company and get rid of city employees. My thinking is the parts cost what they cost, so the only way to save money is for the company to pay mechanics less. It seems like it would be a lot less if they are still going to make a profit-kind of the point of any company. If all you have are low bid employees, it makes me wonder what quality the work will be. This will impact the whole city's fleet vehicles, including fire equipment, dump trucks, and everything else. Anybody use an outside company and what is your opinion?

2. lwt210

lwt210

I would feel sorry for the sucker company that took on our fleet of aging PD cars and fire trucks if we privatized that area.

We have our own city repair shop staffed with city employees and they do a great job of keeping everything running. They do outsource body work though and I have seen instances of simple repairs taking forever to complete.

Whatever city is doing this is doing so out of concern for the bottom line only. They are looking at the cost savings of slashing the benifits like medical coverage and I am sure that will be a substantial savings to outsource that work. More than likely it will be more expensive in the long run for them as repairs will take longer and there is always the possiblity of fraud to soak more cash out of the coffers.

Lowest bidder theory has never been my cup of tea. And I sure wouldn't want the lowest bidder fixing my fleet cars......especially in the high liability world of city management. One good crash involving a fleet managed car that kills someone will ruin the bottom line in legal fees defending against litigation, even if the private company has decent insurance. Deep pocket theory and all.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010

3. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Ours are maintained by the county's fleet services division, and by the county radio shop. They do an excellent job, too.

4. walkin' trails

walkin' trails

My employer uses doesn't have its own garage and sends us to find a dealership, shop, etc. The only thing that they recommend is that we go to a Goodyear distributorship that offers LE pricing for tires. Getting away from a city-managed garage can lead to things like radios and emergency lights, gun racks, etc, that got disconnected and stay disconnected because the local shop wouldn't reinstall anything that they considered aftermarket that had to come off/disconnected to get to the repair. Usually don't find out something got disconnected until you really need it. They have to go back to the original installer... May not be so much of an issue for Crown Vic Interceptors, police Chargers, etc, but for unmarked vehicles not commonly used for patrol (investigations, narcotics, etc) ... May not be as much money savings as hoped.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  5. pgg00

pgg00

All of ours are outside. Unless its changing a light bulb or something, then the officers do it themselves

6. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

He, he. We have our own "staff", supervised by our square staff, then dealership for anything that cannot be handled there.