close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fleas this year.........are they bad or what????

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by ATL Peach Girl, Jul 14, 2006.

1. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I took my 2 house cats into the vet today....my younger one has been scratching his ears, face, head and then I see him flinching his skin on his body, like he is getting bit by something. He also takes off when this happens and runs real fast. I am not seeing any flea.mite dirt in his ears or fleas running around in his hair.........

Now I know fleas *can* live in the carpet and the vet today said that *I* may have brought a flea(s) in on my shoes when I mowed the grass (tracking grass cuttings in possibly)......the vet says cats will act like something is "after" them when a flea bites, they will act like they are trying to get away.......

The vet had me go to Pet Supermarket to pick up some "Advantage"......a 4 pack (because I will treat both cats) is 39.99!! ugh!!! (where can I buy stock in the Bayer company?? sheeesh!!)

I took the younger cat's collar off and applied a tube of it to the back of his neck......rubbed it in real good, and he took off and hid under the couch for 2 hours because he was so upset with me, and it does not smell real good.

It is looking like he is not flinching with his skin, scratching his ears and face, and not doing his little bursts of speed like something is biting him.

The vet says she thinks this may be it......she says indoor cats only need ONE flea to bite them because they are NOT used to them, and are overly sensitive to them.

My vet also said this year is one of the WORST flea years she has seen here in the south......humidity and heat is why she says.

Anyone else have an indoor cat who acted like they were getting bit?? Your experiences??

Dog owners.......are you guys seeing your buddies scratch alot this year?? Are fleas bad where you live???

2. Corso0331

Corso0331

I have two dogs and I have yet to have any issues with fleas. I use Frontline by Top Spot. I apply it once a month.

I have my dogs out in heavily wooded areas about 3-4 times a day and they have not yet had fleas or have I ever found any ticks on them. I have actually found 2 ticks on me this year once I got home from walking them. I suggest checking out "petscriptions.com" as I found them to have the Frontline the cheapest. I didn't think it would work but after finding ticks on myself and not the dogs, I will keep using it. Sorry, but I have no experience with kitties. Good luck with your pets.

3. Rylos1

Rylos1 NRA Endowment CLM

Try Frontline Plus for your cats. I haven't noticed any fleas on my dogs, but we use K-9 Advantix.

4. zzdroptop

zzdroptop

Frontline plus is what we use on our dogs and cat. It is not cheap but if you dont want fleas or ticks it will get the job done. You can do a search and find it online for better prices....just be sure it is the real made in USA stuff.

5. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

My cats are still both scratching their heads, and their skin is still twitching like something is biting them........they shake their heads like they are trying to shake something off........

I treated them both with Advantage Flea liquid on the backs of their necks.......not the combo flea and tick formula..........

Any ideas?? Could it be ticks?? They are house cats, but I wonder if I brought something in when I mowed the grass???

I am at my wits end folks.........what else could be biting them???

As I said, there is nothing in their ears....the vet looked in there.....so no ear mites.........

maybe the Advantage did not work???

6. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

"Spot on" meds for pets are now heavily counterfeited. The fakes can kill your pet!

7. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Way to go Peachie, you jinxed me! :(

I found 4 fleas on my short haired dachshund last night and they never get on her! They have no place to hide!

SGs gotta go home and do some serious washing and some serious sprinkling of the borax on the carpets!

8. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

my two are still acting up like something is biting them..........I have now done 2 treatments of "Advantage" on each of them........

I am at a loss.

I guess I will just wait this out, and see if they quit come winter time.

The vet has NOT seen once bit of fleas on either cat and NO flea "dirt" on the exam table.

I give up......... :upeyes:

I hope that little doxie girl of yours gets better!!!

9. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

I've seen some terrible reactions in pets from some of those generic flea treatments, I guess they can be pretty toxic. I use the Frontline on Moe, get it right from her vet.

Even being an indoor cat, Moe has had fleas twice. I had to treat both her and the house to get rid of them, now I just keep her on the Frontline as a preventive measure. I "bug bombed" the house, bathed her in flea shampoo, and bought some Frontline. No issues with fleas since.

10. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Well, SRD **HATES** me right now. I've taken all her bedding away from her, washed it, sprayed it down with flea spray and given her a bath (which she really hates). I've pulled maybe 10 off her in the last 3 days but didn't find or pull any off her last night since the inital spraying. I can't use Frontline on her--she acts like it burns her and constantly tries to get to the application spot.

The bad news is that she's going to continue to get baths every other day until I find no trace of these little bloodsuckers. Last thing I want is them in my house!

11. amd4me

amd4me Coffee Snob

Here is a little trick I learned from my friend.
    Give your dog a table spoon of olive oil with each feeding, they will not get flea's and their coats will be EXTREMELY shiny.
    Works great I have been doing it for years with out door dogs and not one has ever had fleas.

12. Alaric

Alaric Millennium Member

*sighs*

hell, every two ******* weeks we have to give pusspuss a flea bath -and- bomb the **** out of the house with flea bombs...

[standard flea bath and bombs procured from the local grocery store]

and after a few days the flea assault rallies...

something's -gotta- be done.

[we feel your pain ATLpg]

any more suggestions y'all?

cheers,

g / bigdawg#13

[jennipurr & pusspuss]

13. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

I have had one flea outbreak in 7 years with my dogs. The last two years have been flea free with only a few ticks. That is not bad for central Arkansas in a rural area.

I get every kind of wildlife in my yard from moles to deer. We quit using the top spot 3 years ago when one of my boys started having a reaction to it. I don't spray my yard either, so I guess we are getting really lucky.

edited to add:

The spot treatment that one of my dogs had a terrible reaction to was Frontline purchased from my vet. It is not likely it was counterfeit, but you never really know, do you?

14. PaulMichael

PaulMichael

I started to mix brewer's yeast and fresh raw garlic in my dog's food. I spotted about 50 ticks in the house last summer; this summer there was one. I have never, ever spotted a flea anywhere. The brewer's yeast and garlic is supposed to make their skin taste bad to pests. I don't know the science behind it, but it always worked on the dozen or so dogs we had when I was growing up.

When I take them into the brush or just a walk in the field, I spray them with eucalyptus liquid. I put about four drops in a quart bottle and mist spray them. The bugs won't even come close to that. Don't overdo it though. A four drop solution will seem very mild to your nose, but it is terrible for the bugs.