close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Flea and Tick prevention

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by tiva, May 10, 2006.

1. tiva

tiva Wet Member

What do you prefer for flea and tick prevention? I live just south of Houston and the fleas are horrible. I have a female dog about 45 lbs that I keep outside and a new 6 week old puppy that will be kept inside. I just wanted to get some opinions before I go to the vet this weekend.

2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

3. KWinter

KWinter

Go with Frontline Plus...it's the same as Frontline...but with an IGR (flea birth control). That will cover you for fleas and ticks.

You should treat the environment if the problem is severe...however I'm not a fan of the commonly used insecticides...just too toxic...and less effective than they used to be. Try applying beneficial nematodes regularly...cheaper by far...and safe. If the neighbor's yard is infested and they don't/won't care...sprinkle a barrier of diatomaceous earth (horticultural not the pool filter variety) along the fenceline.

Flea collars and the knock off biospot products simply don't work. They are the same old tired pesticides and organophosphates dressed up to look like the good stuff (Advantage and Frontline).

4. tomkatz

tomkatz

Another vote for frontline plus, we have had 0 problems since we started using it. It's waterproof too!!......tom

5. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

6. tiva

tiva Wet Member

Got it this weekend. My dog had a couple raw spots on her back from scrathing, they started healing the next day. Thanks ya'll