Flat screen TV, screen went black. Junk or fixable?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Paul53, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Intolerant

Intolerant

They sure as hell dont. The last 30yrs keep proving it.

Paul53 likes this.
  2. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Does he have a repair shop still?

Paul53 and G30SF/F-250 like this.

3. Vito

Vito

I've had flat screens for many years now, and the only one that went bad was a 46 inch Samsung after about 5 years. Threw it in the trash and bought a new 65 inch Sony for far less than I had paid for the 46 inch and love the big, sharp picture on the Sony. It never even occurred to me to try to find a repairman for the one that failed (half the screen went black).

Thinking about it, I doubt that I would even try to have any of my electronics fixed rather than replaced. My printer just recently started giving me trouble, then suddenly stopped totally and gave me a screen message saying I needed a new print head installed. I chucked it and went to Costco that morning and came home with a new Epson that is working perfectly. I wouldn't even know where to go to get something like that repaired, other than maybe Best Buy's Geek Squad, and I would guess that the repair would be more than the cost of a new one.

Paul53 likes this.
  4. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I am an engineer and repair RF transmitter gear in 2 and 12/13 gig frequencys. I have built my own audio gear and designed some of my own gear for 40 years. Son of ampzilla...hafler.. threshold.. denon.. been modified.. magnepan stuff along the way. Have not done much with high end audio the last 20 years. Plus I am 61 now and have ringing in my ears very very bad due to serious injury. But I understand a bit about high end and professional audio gear. Spent 41 years in the 600 ohm broadcast tv stuff.. now its all riding along on digital path.

Consumer stuff sadly has gotten pretty awful. Tv set resolution is good.. but the audio part is not very impressive to me.

Haldor and Paul53 like this.
  5. Dave514

Dave514

Of only TVs were a human right.

6. JohnnyE

JohnnyE

I recall reading Stereophile magazine back in the '80's and finding it somewhat useful, but I put it down shortly after picking up a pair of Martin Logan Sequel II speakers that I still listen to to this very day.

A few decades later I picked up the current edition of Stereophile and read their review of a new product, a 1 meter long replacement power cord that utilized .999 fine silver conductors in lieu of traditional copper. Of course it was frightfully expensive. The reviewers all wrote how they heard a difference and that the music they listened to when the amp was powered by sliver conductor cord sounded clearer or in some other way better than when the amp was powered by the copper conductor cord. Sure they did. Shameless shilling for an advertiser. Never picked up the mag since.

Paul53 and Haldor like this.
  7. JohnnyE

JohnnyE

You live near Jeff Spicoli's dad? I hear he's got this ultimate set of tools! :dancing:

Paul53 likes this.
  8. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

I went to Walmart on Wednesday and saw a bunch of really inexpensive TV's! One was 50" for $238. There were several others priced and sized similarly. Dump the old one and move on!

I'm in the same situation with my clothes washer. It started leaking and I suspect it was due to a cracked internal hose. Nuts! Bought a new Maytag and refuse to even remove the back cover to look for the problem! The washer has been in constant use for 13 years and it's time to say Adios!

Flash

Paul53 likes this.
  9. drumgod

drumgod

When I was a chem major in college calculators were not allowed in the classroom. All math was submitted long-hand.

We got in trouble with the FCC for accidentally bumping our highschool radio station signal past our license... twice.

I've fixed a couple FSTVs. One had burst caps in the power supply, the other I just bought a mainboard from a "breaker". These days I'd just buy a new one. "They don't make them like they used to" is still true today. The early flat screens were tanks.

Paul53 likes this.
  10. racerford

racerford

True, but just about every visual specification is now much better than it was. So if you care about brightness, contract, color gamut, detail, noise, power usage, etc..... get a new one.

Paul53 and drumgod like this.
  11. drumgod

drumgod

My biggest issue with modern music (other than my tastes) is how compressed everything is. When an a cappella voice section is the same volume as a screaming guitar climax it takes away some of the texture and musicality. To me, music without dynamics is like a "painting" that's all one color.

Paul53, Haldor and JohnnyE like this.
  12. JohnnyE

JohnnyE

Paul53 and drumgod like this.
  13. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

I laugh when I read people want smarter tvs. I'd like a good screen with some inputs since my stereo doesn't do 4k pass through. I'd rather not have auto updates, ads, etc. If I want a streaming device, I want one easily replaced.

Paul53 likes this.
  14. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

thanksgiving is coming. best buy and even walmart will have a diarrhea on selling TV's

Paul53 likes this.
  15. Rotn1

Rotn1

I haven't read the whole thread but depending on the issue and brand sometimes these things just need to reboot a couple of times.
    Unplug all power try to start. Do that several times. If that doesn't work toss it.

Sorry if I am repeating or stating the completely obvious.

Paul53 likes this.
  16. napp32

napp32

Perhaps one of the mounting screws you ran through it hit something critical. :dancing:

Paul53 and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  17. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I checked that......:sigh:

Paul53 likes this.
  18. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Flat screen TVs are the worst thing that ever happened to TV Audio. It is really hard (read expensive) to make a decent sounding flat speaker.

Speaking of speakers, I think Tom Danley has the most advanced speaker designs on the planet. He got his start in the audio business when he designed a servo motor based subwoofer that was commercialized as the BassTech 7 subwoofer used by Clair Bros on the Michael Jackson Thriller and U2 Unforgettable Fire tours in the mid 80s. The BassTech 7 is still in production. Talk about punch, this is the speaker people are referring to when they mention the brown note.

http://tritechlightandsound.com/links.html

Danley's stuff is expensive, but I have never heard its equal from anyone else. I used a pair of his U15 speakers manufactured by Yorkville for small to medium sized gigs back in the early 00's. This speaker uses his Unity Horn for highs and mids with a separate bass driver. Outstanding sound quality from inexpensive MI (Guitar Center) quality gear.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1205972-REG/yorkville_sound_unity_passive_series_u15.html

Danley later invented a tapped horn speaker design that combines high, mid and low frequency drivers into a single horn loaded point source. Amazing clarity is possible once you eliminate comb filtering.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/The-Tapped-Horn.pdf

His Jerico series are the ultimate extension of that concept. The most impressive one is the J5: 160 dB SPL at 1 meter, 37 Hz to 18 KHz. Contains twelve 18" subs, thirty two 8" mids and sixty four 1" compression drivers feeding into a single horn cavity. Provides high quality, smoothly dispersed audio coverage out to 1000' from a single cabinet. Four of these speakers can provide complete coverage for a football stadium.

https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/J5-4015.pdf

I am a fan boy in case you can't tell.

19. Haldor

That is a perfect example of the what I call the mindless audiophile focus. Never mind that the AC power traveled through hundreds of feet of copper getting from the pole transformer to that AC outlet. And before that it probably travelled through 100's or 1000s of miles of aluminum transmission lines. That last 3 feet through their cord makes all the difference.

There used to be a satire website that "sold" Mothra power cords, this was a 1 meter long power cord that was 1 meter in diameter.

The website is gone, but here is a thread talking about it.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2756

JohnnyE and Paul53 like this.
  20. Haldor

Tinnitus sucks. Its been over 10 years since I trusted my ears enough to run a mixing console. I know my hearing over 12KHz is basically gone.

Paul53 likes this.