Flat screen TV, screen went black. Junk or fixable?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Paul53, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Intolerant

Intolerant

LOL maybe they did and electrocuted themselves. Thats why you probably haven`t heard anything from who ever took it.

Haldor and Paul53 like this.
  2. Intolerant

Intolerant

Transistors been around a long time, hard to say when the last true tube anything was used.
    Digital will never EVER take the place of tubes, caps and transformers. Some say technology is so good today that you cant tell the difference. I say BS! I can tell the difference in a heartbeat.

Haldor, railfancwb and Paul53 like this.

3. 1bigK

1bigK

A lot of times these found on the curb TVs are grabbed by someone who knows how to harvest the gold and perhaps other valuable metals out of them. At least that was the case with the old CRTs.

I thought that most states had laws about properly disposing of old electronics because of A) the harvesters dumping a lot of nasty stuff in the process of recovering the valuable metals, (plus they tend to just abandon the carcass and spilled nasties right there were they did their work) and B) dumping TVs and such in the landfill is an environmental no no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Bish1309, Paul53 and Intolerant like this.
  4. Intolerant

Intolerant

Correct - we can only dispose of old electronics at a collection station. Funny thing about it is, we followed the trail of some old TV`s and old computor monitors, and they went right into the landfill. They can dump them in the landfill, but you better not show up with a load of them in the back of your truck at the landfill.

Paul53 likes this.
  5. 1bigK

1bigK

Right by my wood shop there is another business that diagnoses and services tube amps and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul53 likes this.
  6. railfancwb

railfancwb

Does going to tube equipment for better sound quality suggest analog (vinyl, some tape) is preferred over CDs or downloads?

Paul53 likes this.
  7. BEANCOUNTER

BEANCOUNTER Millennium Member

Bought a 65 inch LG OLED about 5 years ago. $5K. Great pic. Great sound for built in speakers. It took a dump after about 18 months. But before it could do that, it suffered from something I thought had been cured 20 years before - burn-in.

Burn-in is permanent image retention. IIRC, it wasn't covered under warranty. It is very noticeable.

I tried various fixes. Nothing worked.

Burn-in of LG OLEDs is a known problem. LG may not be the only brand with burn-in potential. Google "burn-in" to see what the current status is before spending big bucks on anyone's OLED.
    Since I bought my OLED, LG has taken steps to reduce the chance of burn-in.

And now LED picture quality has gotten closer to OLED.

We also bought a 49 inch LG LED at the same time. Very happy with it. No problems. Likewise no problems with the LG washer and dryer we bought 10+ years ago.

Paul53 and cyberghostx13 like this.
  8. Bish1309

Bish1309

I'm not sure about laws but yeah, we have really nice recycling centers here. Last month I took a truck full of old electronic gear, printers, PCs, monitors, remotes....old routers and a ton of other unusable items from my place of business to our recycling center. It is different than the landfill and on the other side of town. Cost all of $20.60 to cover the cost. I told them they are too cheap.

Paul53 likes this.
  9. racerford

racerford

Some people think tubes sound better. They sound different. They are less powerful, so you need more efficient speakers. The most efficient speakers are horns and they have their own problems. Some people really like vinyl. The difference between vinyl and high quality digital recordings is like the difference between tubes and transistors. They each have their own strengths and weakness. It also depends on the music you like.

Typical lossy downloads are crap for critical listening on good equipment, in a quiet environment. If you are riding on the subway, listening on $5 headphones it doesn’t matter.

Paul53 likes this.
  10. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Hmmm...I ain't sayin' anything, I don't wanna JINX myself...errr my LGTV.

Paul53 likes this.
  11. 1bigK

1bigK

Just a thought but something worth checking into maybe, for a lot of newer electronics there are occasional updates put out by the manufacturer. A Google search including your tv make/model might turn up one such item.

I have a DVD player that has had to download two different updates now.

Paul53 and cyberghostx13 like this.
  12. 1bigK

1bigK

Funny how the laws apply and all, but for sure no one wants to have to pay some stupid ticket over some stupid BS like that.

Paul53 and Intolerant like this.
  13. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Sorry intolerant, just having fun with you.

I am an EE so almost by definition I am never going to be an audiophile. I like expensive audio gear, but I get turned on by high power professional audio gear.

14. Intolerant

Intolerant

Its all good brother :cheers:

Paul53 and Haldor like this.
  15. Haldor

Not saying you are wrong, just saying that unless you are way more of a techno-nurd than is likely you haven't heard recorded sound in 50 years that wasn't passed through solid state equipment.

There was a very marginal segment of people recording direct to vinyl in the 90's. That means no remixing or mastering. I have heard one of these recordings and it sucked. Recording vinyl properly takes a lot of signal manipulation to get the bass response right.

That sonic manipulation required for vinyl is where the "CDs sound brittle" myth came from.
    When audio CDs were introduced, the album companies used their LP master tapes to make CDs. And they sounded terrible because they had inappropriate pre-emphasis. The people responsible got thunked on the head and albums got remastered properly for CDs and they have sounded great ever since.

It is true that excessive compression does terrible things to sound quality, but that is not a tube vs solid state thing. That is mindless "make it sound louder on the radio" thing.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    cyberghostx13 and Paul53 like this.
  16. Haldor

I am actually very into audio gear, it just isn't a religion to me, and I don't buy the dogma.

It is hard to take audiophile comments seriously, when they focus on arcane minutia and ignore the problems that poorly designed and implemented transducers have. It is the speakers and how well they work in the acoustic space that determines how good the system is going to sound.

Want to talk crossovers and speaker design topography, and I am right there with you.

misterfox, cyberghostx13 and Paul53 like this.
  17. Haldor

Room treatments too. I have worked in sound reinforcement and you quickly learn the limiting factor in sound quality is the room, not the gear.

18. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Different transistors sound different. A mosfet sounds more like a tube.. a pleasing distortion if you will. Caps that are high quality offer a lot of sound advantages. The audio preamps and amps that i have modified and designed usually have a few extra .01 pf high frequency caps across the other larger caps.. the larger .47 pf stuff. Polypropylene and polystyrene sound better. .

Paul53 likes this.
  19. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

The 44.1 orig cd format was excellent. Especially thru a single DAC. MP3 stuff is awful.. and people listen thru cheap ear buds.. or super cheap china headphones.. most people dont know how poor the quality of what they are getting really is.

20. selogic

selogic

Yesterday . He lives in my neighborhood and passes my house every day .

Paul53 and Ramjet38 like this.