Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Millenium #3936
6,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am interested in a "good" flat main spring housing for my Springfield Mil spec. Its purely a grip issue but if I am going to mess with it, I would like to at least replace the part with something better than oem. Can you suggest a good MSH and should I change anything else while messing with this specific area of the pistol ie.. spring or other associated stuff in the housing.

·
Banned
5,375 Posts
Any of the common name brands would be good. The MSH doesn't do much...

·
Premium Member
42,120 Posts
My GI Springfield is getting a Smith & Alexander 20 lpi flat MSH

·
Registered
527 Posts
I just swapped the MSH on my Mil Spec w/ a flat Springfield Mil Spec and I like it much more than the arched MSH. I actually posted on the WTB section of the 1911 forum that I was looking for a Springfield flat MSH. I kid you not that a very nice gentlemen sent me a Springfield parked serrated MSH w/ the internals for free. I couldn't believe it and I plan to pay it forward someday too.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
If you change the MSH you will need to change the internals as well to standard parts because of the ILS system. A new spring cap, retainer pin and 23lb mainspring is needed. The bottom wedge shaped pin can be re-used from the original. The stock Springfield MSHs have a hole for a retaining pin but niether my Mil-Spec nor my Loaded had one in it.

Springfield on the left, normal on the right.

ETA: They may look the same length when put together but the top cup type pin on the Springfield is deeper than standard which makes the overall length shorter.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am interested in a "good" flat main spring housing for my Springfield Mil spec. Its purely a grip issue but if I am going to mess with it, I would like to at least replace the part with something better than oem. Can you suggest a good MSH and should I change anything else while messing with this specific area of the pistol ie.. spring or other associated stuff in the housing.
I think I have 2 Baer flat serrated mainspring housings,new, that I can't seem to get rid of. pay for the shipping and its yours once I find it.I'll look and make sure tomarrow.let me know

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
make note it is not always a drop in part I tried to replace the flat with an arched on my les baer but after replacement the hammer would not fully cock- just to let you know any part replacement on any 1911 is going to be a crap shoot as far as fit and function

1 - 20 of 26 Posts