Flashlight suggestions

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by BigMoneyGrip, Jun 6, 2020.

1. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

I'm looking for a good flashlight. One that will fit in a pocket, rechargeable and made is the US would be nice. The most important feature would be NO STROBE!
    Thanks!

2. gunowner1

gunowner1

Streamlight microstream

3. OdinIII

OdinIII

I like the Olight S1 Baton Mini. You do have to remove the battery to charge it though.

4. KeithC

KeithC

Checkout Streamlight’s various models. I’ve got a couple of their flashlights and one of their WMLs. In my experience, they’re high quality and also reasonably priced.

5. drumgod

drumgod

6. Danielsuzuki

Danielsuzuki Happiness is where you find it

Zebralight Sc600 mark 4 HI

7. TacticalDesire

TacticalDesire

Surefire Stiletto

dmross11 likes this.
  8. Timmy bigtime

Timmy bigtime Previously Timmeh

In for streamlight. Surefire will never get a dime of my money due to donations to DEMONcrat candidates. I also believe they are overpriced.

9. ronin.45

ronin.45

The new ones charge magnetically through the tailcap. Not made in the US though.

10. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

11. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

There are a ton of options if you mean a flashlight that takes rechargeable batteries. Less so if you mean USB recharged or the like.

This is a solid little USB rechargeable. The rest of my USB rechargeable lights are weapons lights so no help there.

https://www.batteryjunction.com/mec-army-sgn1-opt.html

12. Zerodefect

Zerodefect I feel pretty.

My Surefire E2D has been through a dozen storms including Katrina. Just needs a new clippy.

I have a new E2D LED in my personal truck. Even better.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  13. syntaxerrorsix

They are nice lights, I've got an original E2D and an E1B. The clips can be found all over the internet for about $14.

Do not take your light diving. Surefire are really proud of their lights but they can't be bothered to fully pot their electronics. Just a little bit of water intrusion and it will be toast. If you want good dive lights check out Light Monkey or the Underwater Light Dude. Bring your wallet.

Zerodefect likes this.
  14. Zerodefect

Thanks.

Just googled it, apparently the Surefire clicky will leak at depth. Not designed for diving use.

A canister light is overkill for me at this point. I don't expect to go cave diving ever (again).

15. bigj480

bigj480 CLM

I don't really have an opinion other than to say that I had really good luck with Zebralight and I tend to go for 18650 lights.

Wait, really?!

Danielsuzuki likes this.
  16. syntaxerrorsix

LM has a canless 12W LED. Anything with a single or dual cell battery like a back up light will suck out loud especially for daytime diving (you won't even know it's on) and night/cave dives demand horsepower. Go big or prepare to be disappointed.

Zerodefect likes this.
  17. syntaxerrorsix

bigj480 likes this.
  18. Zerodefect

Doesn't sound so bad to me. I'm not dropping them because they gave less to Dems than Repub's.

If they relocated to Ohio and donated that, they would have had the support that they were tryimg to buy. Sorry guys, you be in the wrong state for that.

19. bdcochran

bdcochran

1. budget
    2. application
    3. features
    4. type of battery

There are quite a few people who know flashlights.
    Without a budget, it is like asking how high is up?

Application. Ok. I have $3 single AA battery lights. One mode. Last a couple of hours.
    I have just purchased around $40 single AA battery Light. It has moonlight, fire fly and regular modes. Why the difference? Application? Moonlight or firefly allows a person to walk a trail in the dead of night without attracting attention and will last up to 30 hours.
    I have an expensive light that is so bright, you can do car engine work without moon or starlight. Now you understand the question.

Ok. Now for a recommendation:
    1. Given that most flashlights are not made in the USA or use foreign made components, get over the idea of made in the USA is best unless you want to find a custom guy who will charge you about $100 an hour for labor, like a car mechanic.
    2. Start inexpensive until you eventually formulate what you really want.
    The gold standard in cheap is the Sipik SK68 one mode. There are a lot of knockoffs. Some are quite good. Some are really bad. Most of them made today are 3 mode. I like the one mode and I really had to search for it. The last batch cost me under $4 each delivered from the PRC. Oh, you don't want to wait 60 days? Then buy it from a US distributor at twice the price. Takes standard or rechargeable AA.
    3. Let me explain what you are getting into with rechargeable. Some of the manufacturers are very poor, just like their charging units. You have to research like on batteries.com. You are going to pay $4-$6 for a quality rechargeable battery. And, when you get the best recharger units with automatic shut off, yatta yatta, you are going to spend another $40.
    Oh, some dude tells you that you can recharge from your computer, right? Great, unless you are a human being and did not always keep your light charged and now the power at your home is going to be off for the next two weeks with the hurricane or tornado damage in the area.
    So, you are going to need to spend money on batteries.

20. Danielsuzuki

Danielsuzuki Happiness is where you find it

Well said. I use a SkyRc MC-3000 charger for all my charging needs, and prefer not to use onboard charging if possible.

I love my zebras for the versatility. .04 lumens in firefly, and 1300 lumens on H1 high.