close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Flashlight school

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by gatorhugger, Jan 12, 2010.

1. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

Teach me please.
    I want one of these fancy new LED flashlights, the small ones.
    It doesn't have to be for a firearm.
    I see surefire, thunderfire, firestar, Fenix, sunfire, laserfire
    on and on and on.
    all with letters and initials after their name, FD20, GP12,14,20, Lx10xyz

What I want to know is simply this. Most of these things are chinese made right? Is there some chinese factory churning em out and companies are putting these "fire" names on them?
    Is there really any difference?
    They all say LED, all anodized alumimum, all offer strobes and are waterproof.
    What is the difference in this stuff? Can a super bright small flashlight that takes regular AA batteries be had for $30?
    I see 200 lumen ones like Phoenixfire, or some off brand on Ebay for $30.
    Is there any difference in that a Fenix which I assume is a name brand like surefire?
    Very confused.

2. cabindriver

cabindriver NRA Life Member

candlepowerforums.com

3. DRZ

DRZ

Ditto

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  4. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

The difference is reliability and quality. Both Kia and BMW are made of metal, plastic, rubber, wires. Both have an engine, transmission, wheels, and drive down the road. But the craftsmanship that goes into the BMW is far superior.

Stick to Fenix and Surefire. If you want a truely blinding light, get a Surefire that takes the 6P lamp assembly and replace the lamp with a Malkoff Devices drop in.

Edit: If you want to build a wicked torch, look around on candlepowerforums.com like cabindriver mentioned. The SSC P7 mods in the Maglites and Tiablos are especially bad ***.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  5. bamarammin87

bamarammin87 h8tr

Just get a fenix. Actual fenix brand.Get one that takes 2 cr123 batteries. Like a p3d. They have twice the lumens, all the quality, and half the price of those overpriced surefires. Mine's carryed every single day. Right beside my wallet in my back pocket. Use it every day just about.

this is the newer version of mine. It's nice having a 235 lumen beam if you need it, or just enough light to walk in the dark, and not run down your battery. You won't be sorry.
    https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_70&products_id=1886

6. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

Ok thanks. I have heard of them and they seem fairly cheap. Then I started seeing a million other of those ones that all say FIRE in the name and they were even cheaper. I figured they were cheaper knockoffs.
    I will try a fenix one.

7. Jeremy_K

Jeremy_K

Sams club sells a twin pack of LED flashlights made by Element for about $28. They have the single LED bulb which from what I've seen is brighter than multiple smaller bulbs. This light is every bit as bright as my 4 D cell LED Maglight. It takes 3 AAA batteries and battery life is awesome. My Dad and I use them for hunting and they are very durable. The newer models have the power button recessed into the tailcap so they don't turn on in a pack or something. That's been my only complaint. The earlier model with the button on the body of the light turned on easily inside my hunting pack. It has a fixed beam and is not adjustable. Here is a link to these lights. http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=381032. There were some bad reviews because of the battery cartridge falling apart. We did have this issue with one but we bought another twin pack and haven't had a problem for a couple years now.

8. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Tough to answer that briefly. http://www.candlepowerforums.com is indeed the 'glocktalk' of flashlights, but everyone there assumes you already know the basics, and it can take a couple weeks of lurking and reading to get up to speed.

There's a bazillion brands, and options in both LED, battery, microcontroller, and housing.

Surefire is a premium brand, with a premium price. Fenix has taken a nice mid-market, but cutting edge approach. Choosing a Fenix is a fine way to make sure you're not getting screwed on price/performance. Right now, most of my current flashlights are last-generation Fenix models - either AAA, AA or CR123 batteries. I recommend them as a great entry point.

My recommendations are:

for a very small AAA based light - Fenix LD01 https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=639

For a one-AA light - https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=466

and for a large 'what's happening out there' light, the Pelican 8060, which has a rechargeable lithium ion battery, and is designed as a police light for the LAPD http://www.brightguy.com/products/Pelican_8060_Rechargeable_LED_Flashlight.php

9. bamarammin87

bamarammin87 h8tr

Trust me bud. That is a HELL of a flashlight. I had always bought cheap ones before, never again. How kool is it that with built in SOS mode, different settings, so you never are using too much battery on unneeded brightness. Once you figure out the soft press on the button, you'll LOVE that flashlight. You won't belive how bright that thing is. Stay away from the knockoffs. Fenix is quality. I have literally carried it every single day since I got it. It's even in my pajama pocket right now:rofl: They rock. I've preached the gospel of fenix to everybody who will listen since I got mine. Check around on prices, mine was on sale about 15 dollars off. :wavey:

BTW, they have any size you could imagine. I wanted a do-all EDC light, so I got the p3d. Small enough to carry, but more power than those big ol 100 dollar hoss flashlights from other brands. They have smaller and larger lights depending on what you want.

10. ruralpatrol

ruralpatrol

11. GAFinch

GAFinch

I've looked at candlepowerforums.com for the general use $20-30 flashlights myself. Saw a few recommendations for the Coleman ones sold at Walmart. They have 2 or 3 that take AAA batteries, are metal, and are water resistant. I got one for Christmas and I've liked it so far.

12. ryanm

ryanm

If you want a rechargeable, get a Streamlight Strion LED. Compact and very bright.

13. farley45

farley45

That looks like a heck of a flashlight, and good price too. Wish it came with a strike bezel like that Surefire E2 LED Defender. I had been looking at that Surfire for a while but it looks like it may be a little big...and its double the cost of the Fenix:shocked:

14. Just1More

Just1More

I just got a Fenix PD30 with the R4 emitter. It puts out 265 lumens on turbo mode. Very nice light (and small). The lowest mode is plenty of light for most jobs.

15. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

I got some of those and they are pretty good considering the price.

16. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

Get an American made Streamlight Scorpion LED its under $45 on amazon and you can get batteries for it for under $5 at lowes(Surefire Cr123s). Its 120 lumens and metal construction with rubber grip meaning you can use it in cold weather and yet its durable also it has a rear mounted button that clicks on and off or hold for momentary.

17. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

I can vouch for these, as I have both. The Malkoff is the best thing for this light! Awesome bright, and batts last much longer.

I carry a Fenix in my pocket daily. One little CR123 and it is as bright as any 2 or 3 D cell light. http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=110 FTW!

18. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

I was a Candlepower forum addict for a long time.

Here's all you need to know, based on hundreds & thousands of hours of browsing, and purchasing / trying out lights:

Get a Nitecore D10 & EX10 flashlight. D10 is an AA based light, single cell, bright as heck and extremely durable and versatile. EX10 is a CR123 based light, same as D10 but a wee bit fatter and shorter. I only buy from 4sevens.com - the original US Fenix retailer with a super reputation for customer service. Use coupon code CPF8 for 8% off.

Nothing else comes close for value & flexibility. You could spend a lot more time / money on other lights, but why?

PS - you're very welcome, as you'll be thanking me a ton after you buy these lights and use them for a very long time.

19. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD

+1

I had a post up a few weeks ago about this, long story short, brother came back from Iraq and gave me a Surefire G2 for Christmas. Started doing some homework on flashlights, ordered the Fenix PD30 R4 and now carry the Fenix every day. (Surefire is in wifeys purse)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  20. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

Glad you like it.

My Fenix lights are now mostly unused, gathering dust, since I bought my NiteCore flashlights.