close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Flashlight Recommendations

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by relichuntr, Sep 7, 2006.

1. relichuntr

relichuntr

Hey guys, I'm a professional FF in Raleigh, NC for 14 years. I'm thinking of retiring my Bright Star 4C Responder right angle light that I've carried for a while. Any recommendations on another? I'm interested in the Big Ed by Pelican but not many in my dept. carry them. They mostly carry the Survivor by Streamlight which is a good light but I wonder if the Big Ed would be brighter than the one I have now or the Survivor. Thanks for any help.:)

2. FirNaTine

FirNaTine

I use the Survivor and have been happy with it. I broke it and took it to an authorized retailer, it was sent back to me fixed. For FREE.

Most of the guys I work with that carry a light use this one. The department also puts them in out RIT Bag. As far as I know no one has had a problem with them.

3. Tvov

Tvov

The Survivor is issued by our department, works great, very tough. I've had mine returned after being buried in the remains of a structure fire, and after being dropped from the ladder truck (only about 20 feet up), works fine.

4. FlaFF

FlaFF

We refer to them as Big Deads. Constant issue with the Big Ed's. Streamlight survivor is time tested and proven. I'm planning on buying one so that I don't have to rely on the big dead.

FlaFF

5. fireguy129

fireguy129

One of our guys bought a streamlight survivor led. Pretty sharp, but he got the one that is run on AA batteries. I was looking at the led's with the rechargable battery pack for $75. It would go nice on my other gear.

6. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

I used a Bright Star Responder as well. Why not just get another one? In my department, the guys were obsessed with FDNY. Everything they bought had to be just like FDNY. Therefore just about everyone had Survivors. I'm sure it's a great light, but if the Responder worked for you, why change? If it's not broken, don't fix it.

7. GLOCK23DK

GLOCK23DK

My bright star 4c/rechargeable is brighter than any of the big ed's the other guys have on my dept. You have the best right angle light available. If it's having issues, not being as bright as you feel it should be, send it back and have it refurbished. Maybe you need a new bulb or batteries? I use the rechargeable batt. pack most of the time, but the 4C's are brighter by about 33% or so (according to bright star: 45,000 cp rechargeable vs. 60,000 cp 4C)

8. TxFire

TxFire

I love my Big Ed 4c. I also just got a Little Ed LED, haven't really used it yet.

9. roydamnmercer

roydamnmercer

My Big Ed has been good for 4+ years now. I have the rechargeable and a spare 4-C cell pack in case batt goes down while away from the station. Our newer trucks come spec'ed with on board Big Ed's and chargers now....unfortunately I'm not assigned to one of the newer trucks.:steamed:

roy d...[knocking on wood] maybe we'll wreck ours and get a new one soon...FreightShakers suck!!!

10. DCSO0322

DCSO0322 GIGGITY

[​IMG]

I have used one of these for years. You can get helmet mounts but I usually carry in pocket. Had one that lasted about 9 years before it quit working. It's a smaller light but very bright. Not good if you want something to hang on coat though.

11. B+Shooter

B+Shooter Last Man Out!

+1 on the Pelican.
    I carry a Saberlite Recoil LED, and it works great. I paid the extra $2 to get a photoluninescent bezel, and was surprised at how handy it has become. I was on an industrial fire with nine other crews, and we put our stuff down in rehab. I found it after refilling our cylinders instantly by the glow coming from the flashlight bezel. We have survivors on our trucks, and even though they are sturdy, they just don't put out the light that my recoil LED does.
    If you have to have the 90 degree light, I would go Little Ed with the glowing bezel/Recoil LED. Size, versatility, battery life can't be beat
    http://pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=3610PL

12. Joey

Joey Millennium Member

We've been using the Big Ed's for a couple years now and have no problems with em.

13. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Well worth the price if they work good. When I get mine, I expect to splurge for the glowy one.....

http://pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=2410PL

Scott