Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I feel badly for the lady that was hijacked, both from the lack of SA and inability to defend herself, but I was wondering what GT braintrust thought of themselves in this situation.

"Bell flashed a gun in his waistband and demanded her keys."

My initial thought was “I'll show you mine if you show me yours.” Does one “flash” similarly? Grip the gun in the holster? Ask him if he feels lucky?

·
Come on man!!
19,473 Posts

I feel badly for the lady that was hijacked, both from the lack of SA and inability to defend herself, but I was wondering what GT braintrust thought of themselves in this situation.

My initial thought was “I'll show you mine if you show me yours.” Does one “flash” similarly? Grip the gun in the holster? Ask him if he feels lucky?
No.

Draw and fire until the threat is over.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Never go to your gun unless it is to draw it and fire. Life's not a movie.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
The guy that flashed the gun in his waistband was lucky that he didn't face a trained armed citizen. A gun in the waistband is a different situation than a gun in your face and gives the armed citizens choices as to how to react.

I'm surprised that Minnesota, one of the crazy liberal states didn't do catch-and-release with these criminals. Come January 1st that's what will happen in Illinois. No cash bail, even for assault or even murder 2. Totally nuts.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
My daughter and her family live there... southern Illinois, so that's one place I have to go that I don't want to. I can carry until I dismount from my vehicle, though. I installed a safe and can leave it without hauling it in and out to the hotel, though I still want one bedside at night. Their area is not Cook County, though... where the real whackos govern... or RULE.

Reactions: mj9mm

·
Registered
39,327 Posts
How about the situational awareness of the car jackers? Surveillance cameras captured the entire event. Stupid crooks.
Crooks post their crimes on fb & instgram, why worry about cameras? Me, some guy shows me a gun demands something, thats armed robbery & deserves a proper armed response. I’ll bet my presentation is faster to first hit.

·
Registered
39,327 Posts
Maybe carjackers are now domestic terrorists.
No you are confusing them with liberal Dems, the ultimate domestic terror group.

·
Registered
630 Posts
You draw and fire and the bad guy is still essentially “holstered”, they’ll arrest you for murder.
Unless you’re lucky enough to live in a “stand your ground state” (I believe there’s somewhere around 30).
You give them your keys and send them on their way, no car (or any material possession) is worth your life. Now if they try and grab your kid, or your dog…bring on the charges or whatever else they want to throw at you. I’ll take my chances…

·
Registered
39,327 Posts
You draw and fire and the bad guy is still essentially “holstered”, they’ll arrest you for murder.
Unless you’re lucky enough to live in a “stand your ground state” (I believe there’s somewhere around 30).
You give them your keys and send them on their way, no car (or any material possession) is worth your life. Now if they try and grab your kid, or your dog…bring on the charges or whatever else they want to throw at you. I’ll take my chances…
Doubtful but will likely depend on the DA & who the attacker was. What you & some others fail to grasp is the criminal may kill you for fun anyway. Happens all the time. Die begging for your life or maybe live fighting for it.
Showing me a weapon & demanding monetary payment is felony armed robbery. Lethal force is allowed against a violent felony. Sure you may end up arrested & charged unjustly but wing & a prayer, nope. Oh also, every state treats dogs as property, so ypur car or your dog or your wallet, same same to the DA. You dont get to use deadly force to protect your dog but i would & take my chances in court.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Doubtful but will likely depend on the DA & who the attacker was. What you & some others fail to grasp is the criminal may kill you for fun anyway. Happens all the time. Die begging for your life or maybe live fighting for it.
Showing me a weapon & demanding monetary payment is felony armed robbery. Lethal force is allowed against a violent felony. Sure you may end up arrested & charged unjustly but wing & a prayer, nope. Oh also, every state treats dogs as property, so ypur car or your dog or your wallet, same same to the DA. You dont get to use deadly force to protect your dog but i would & take my chances in court.
Fair enough, you could also make unnecessary trouble for yourself…it certainly worked out for this lady and countless stories that litter our newspapers. You could also incite them in your attempt to see who can draw first, and it’s easy to play bang bang when your heart isn’t pounding at 200 BPM. We can sit here and battle back and forth on “what if’s”, and in todays age no thanks putting “justice” into the hands of a DA. “White car jacking victim needlessly executes African American robbery suspect”. Don’t think it could happen? I’ve seen multiple headlines mirroring this same scenario and it hasn’t worked out for the one that decided to fire. If you read into it, there’s also reports of drivers successfully defending themselves as you propose but all the perps had guns out and pointed, not in their waistband…there’s a difference. Since 2020, the level of carjacking nationally has exploded yet the incidence of murdered victims remains amazingly low, most give into their demands. It’s usually for a joyride, to be commissioned in another crime or chopped up and sold. Read some of the stores of people defending their property, there’s been some that worked out and some that haven’t. It’s an everyday occurrence in Chicago and New Orleans. Just send them on their way, is what you’ll hear most police chiefs advise the public to do and follow their instructions. Unfortunately in most cases, I agree. It’s a car FFS. Now if the spidey sense is tingling, then I guess you have a decision on your hands and you best make it fast.

I know dogs are property, failed attempt at levity I see…

Good news is you can choose your fate for yourself. To me, when I see that someone “flashes a weapon” my thought is they’re hoping you’ll concede to the threat of the potential of the gun…for my vehicle I’m fine playing beta dog if my life is spared and criminal proceedings are avoided. I trust my instincts, intuition and an innate gift of situational awareness. I stand by the statement that no car is worth your life and best to diffuse if possible (except at an abduction attempt at my wife or child, or that it’s more than a “flash”). However, I’ll concede there is clearly no blueprint for these situations.

·
Registered
39,327 Posts
Fair enough, you could also make unnecessary trouble for yourself…it certainly worked out for this lady and countless stories that litter our newspapers. You could also incite them in your attempt to see who can draw first, and it’s easy to play bang bang when your heart isn’t pounding at 200 BPM. We can sit here and battle back and forth on “what if’s”, and in todays age no thanks putting “justice” into the hands of a DA. “White car jacking victim needlessly executes African American robbery suspect”. Don’t think it could happen? I’ve seen multiple headlines mirroring this same scenario and it hasn’t worked out for the one that decided to fire. If you read into it, there’s also reports of drivers successfully defending themselves as you propose but all the perps had guns out and pointed, not in their waistband…there’s a difference. Since 2020, the level of carjacking nationally has exploded yet the incidence of murdered victims remains amazingly low, most give into their demands. It’s usually for a joyride, to be commissioned in another crime or chopped up and sold. Read some of the stores of people defending their property, there’s been some that worked out and some that haven’t. It’s an everyday occurrence in Chicago and New Orleans. Just send them on their way, is what you’ll hear most police chiefs advise the public to do and follow their instructions. Unfortunately in most cases, I agree. It’s a car FFS. Now if the spidey sense is tingling, then I guess you have a decision on your hands and you best make it fast.

I know dogs are property, failed attempt at levity I see…

Good news is you can choose your fate for yourself. To me, when I see that someone “flashes a weapon” my thought is they’re hoping you’ll concede to the threat of the potential of the gun…for my vehicle I’m fine playing beta dog if my life is spared and criminal proceedings are avoided. I trust my instincts, intuition and an innate gift of situational awareness. I stand by the statement that no car is worth your life and best to diffuse if possible (except at an abduction attempt at my wife or child, or that it’s more than a “flash”). However, I’ll concede there is clearly no blueprint for these situations.
My property or someone else's isnt worth the gunfight but my life is. This guy complied, beta dog style, executed for fun. So you can go with luck and SA, i prefer to be in charge of my own fate, not put it in some nut jobs hands. This guy just wanted to shoot somebody.

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
A “flash for a flash” could be construed by an alleged criminal as an invitation to a fight instead of a message of deterrence. The victim probably did the right thing for her. What was the likelihood that if she was carrying a defensive weapon, it would be in her purse. She readily gave that up. How many who regularly visit and contribute comments and wisdom on this site also practice some form of off body carry or have a significant other who does? There are, perhaps things that could be articulated afterward such as disparity of force, criminal having a firearm, etc, but that is stuff that good attorneys must take up, especially if a district attorney and/or grand jury decided that the victim wasn’t “reasonable“ enough when he or she defended themselves. Remember that we are living in a time when “what is good Is considered bad, and what is bad is considered good.” Be aware of your surroundings.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts