close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Flash drive assignment

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by CBDAVIS, Jun 9, 2006.

1. CBDAVIS

CBDAVIS

Once upon a time when I connected any flash drive to my computer (running XP Professional) it would assign the first available drive letter to it (G).

But now it keeps working its way up the alphabet and to start over at G, I have to reboot. Also, the lower drive letters are hidden from view.

Any suggestions on how to correct this problem.

2. Gonad

Gonad Millennium Member

When you take the flash drive out do you eject it?
    If not it may still be seeing it as connected and then going to the next drive letter? Just a guess.

3. Getwild2

Getwild2 Mac Aficionado

So it keeps changing on its own? :freak:

I dont know if it'll help you, or if you know this or not, but if you right-click on My Computer, select Manage, click on Disk Management on the left. Now in the list on the right you will see your drives (and your flash if it is connected). Simply right-click on any of them and select Change Drive Letter and Paths. Here you will be able to set any drive letter you want and it should be permanent.

I know with my work PC (Windoze XP Pro), I had to do this because I have so many mapped network drives that my flash was inaccessible. I set it once and now everytime I connect my drive it goes to that particular drive letter. I hope this helps..

Or I could give you my standard answer, "I don't run Windoze so I'm not the best source of information, try Google". :supergrin:

4. CBDAVIS

CBDAVIS

Can't select a drive once it is used. It is not seen in Disk Management. I also have selected a drive letter when I reboot. It will stay G for awhile and then it will start increasing the drive letter.

5. CBDAVIS

CBDAVIS

I will try this, but never had to do it before.

6. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

I don't "eject". Anything I plug into that particular vacant USB port on the front of my CPU is automatically assigned to drive "K". I plug and unplug stuff into that port (flash drive, portable hard drive, PDA, etc.) and never "eject" or TELL the computer what I'm about to do.

7. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

You should use "eject" when removing the drive. Just right click on the drive and select eject from the menu. This will not only tell the computer the letter is free but to make sure that all reading writing to the drive is done.

8. CBDAVIS

CBDAVIS

I haven't had an opportunity to try the eject today, but will try it Monday.

Thanks.