Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this was posted in the s/p but not everyone is into that. this is a good hike to test out any backpacking gear or yourself. There is also a basecamp option for your Gt's who like rv's and pop ups....

Hey fellas its about that time again.
Time to bust out the rucks.

The gory details-

Time frame- Friday through Sunday-
Date- 9/26-9/28
Location- Central Florida , Ocala Natl. forest, north Ocala section of the FT/FST
Distance- 0-15 miles This is variable depending on weather and the speed/condition of the hikers.
Terrain- combination of Sand scrub,pine flats and open marsh prairies ,open sand scrub ,sand hills.

what you will need-

WATER and a means to filter or purify it, the means to carry at the minimum 4 liters of h20 at ALL times.
This is not a joke. water sources in this AO are not 100% safety is a major issue on these summer hikes!!

basic gear- good pack, good shoes or boots, shelter, water filter or tabs, bug repellent and wide brimmed hat. water bladder or bottles,rain gear.

-----

Last years hike was a eye opener for some im sure even the Vets from the last 4 hikes! This will be as well.
We traveled 15 miles last summer in 1.5 days in temps as high as 100f with high humidity. True test of ones physical condition,experiance and gear.
Like last year we will try and have a chaser truck to bring hikers back Sunday AM or sat early Pm. This is dependant on the group. Last year we reached the end point by noon the next day, jumped in the chaser and sat our rumps in a nice cold Florida spring for a few hours!

again the distance is a variable that depends on water sources,and the group!
----

This gives everyone 2+ months to prepare for this hike. This is a physically demanding hike, so be ready ! Condition now and pack accordingly.
I would suggest that hikers check their pack weights and train with them prior.
THIS is not the hike to see if you can really lug your 7000ci uber pack in the heat. As of last week there are only 2 100% water sources on this hike one at 6 miles and one at 13! SO prepare to haul most of your weight in h20!

serious note to that -
If you fail to prep for this hike you are not only risking your life but those of the other hikers. As the host I can NOT allow that!
This is not a scare tactic or joke. This is a real danger. Heat exhaustion and heat stroke can happen . We are not in an accessible section of the trail. The only way YOU will get out is by walking, and if its between you, the hikers and your fluff gear,guess whats being left behind !!

----

If want more details or have questions IM or email me.

again feel free to ask questions or details. Hope to see some new faces out there.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Good, if I was closer I would join in. Couldn't ya have something like closer to south part of central or southern Florida?

Like Biscayne national park or the national trails around Okeechobee?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good, if I was closer I would join in. Couldn't ya have something like closer to south part of central or southern Florida?

Like Biscayne national park or the national trails around Okeechobee?
this AO is central to most 0-6 hours. we have guys from ga,sc,nc, and miami show up so its sorta in the middle for all.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt see gun on your list...
havent needed one yet so why carry the extra 3lbs!
Its a non shooting event. there is no place to have range time.
There is also a no firearm rule for part of teh area we are in.
But as we have told folks before.
If you are legal, and want to pack do it. gunplay in camp isnt tolerated. so in otherwords, if you wanna have a gun just sit in your pack all weekend ,,go for it.

thats why "gun" isnt on the list...:wavey:

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
havent needed one yet so why carry the extra 3lbs!
Its a non shooting event. there is no place to have range time.
There is also a no firearm rule for part of teh area we are in.
But as we have told folks before.
If you are legal, and want to pack do it. gunplay in camp isnt tolerated. so in otherwords, if you wanna have a gun just sit in your pack all weekend ,,go for it.

thats why "gun" isnt on the list...:wavey:
I was getting at the fact that the ocala national forest is not the safest place in the world. I have been shot at out there once and there have been plently of bodys dumped or found out there as well.....

oh yeah dont forget about the ape **** crazy rainbow people either.

my rule if thumb is never go into the ocala national forest unarmed.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was getting at the fact that the ocala national forest is not the safest place in the world. I have been shot at out there once and there have been plently of bodys dumped or found out there as well.....

oh yeah dont forget about the ape **** crazy rainbow people either.

my rule if thumb is never go into the ocala national forest unarmed.
ONF is a body magnet for sure....no argueing that..lol..

so you gonna show up to this deal since your familiar with the AO??????:wavey:

FWIW

sat/sunday we will be doinga barter/trade session in the parking lot or at camp with the base campers, when we return. if you have any items y ou want to sell/trade/barter bring them along!

·
Banned
187 Posts
Nice place to hike.. But very hot.......Its a boiler..Ive hunter there for about 14 years with groups and by my self.Just one word of advice( Many Black Bears!) If its legal to carry some a handgun off hunting season I would.... if not for the bears the crazy people that are in that forest....Trust (no one).

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice place to hike.. But very hot.......Its a boiler..Ive hunter there for about 14 years with groups and by my self.Just one word of advice( Many Black Bears!) If its legal to carry some a handgun off hunting season I would.... if not for the bears the crazy people that are in that forest....Trust (no one).
thanks, for the advice, but im pretty familiar with it all been playing out there since the mid 80's...lots changed but it aint all to bad if ya keep your eyes open....
last years hike it was 100f at 10am :cool: best hike ever!:supergrin:

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
ONF is a body magnet for sure....no argueing that..lol..

so you gonna show up to this deal since your familiar with the AO??????:wavey:

FWIW

sat/sunday we will be doinga barter/trade session in the parking lot or at camp with the base campers, when we return. if you have any items y ou want to sell/trade/barter bring them along!
Nah...I only hike through the woods if its in full camo, with a gun, and looking for bambi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts