close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FL match bringing a 17yr old shooter.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by larry_minn, Feb 6, 2004.

1. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I have a dumb question. I invited a relative to come to GSSF match with me as he got a Glock last year. Well it seems he will be out all night with the PD so does not feel he will be up to it. BUT would like me to take his kid. As the kid is 17 what safeguards should I prepare? I.E. I figured a sheet of paper with both his parents name/phone number granting me permission (guardinship) of their kid for the day and permission to enter match. I would keep possession of firearms until we got to match or can he drive with them in his car? I note there is place for Junior male under 18 so I assume youths are allowed to compeat. Just never looked at FL law in this area. Thanks.

2. mike from philly

mike from philly

Only problem I can see is the possession of the handgun while he's driving himself. In some states, its illegal for someone under 18 to have possession of a handgun. To avoid "issues", I'd recommend you transport it.

You should pre-register him for the match, you'd save 10 bucks and I think it has a place of the form for his dad to sign away his rights.

The problem with young kids shooting is ...... they are so damn good at it. He will have a great time.

Its a good thing you are doing. Its something he'll remember all his life. Make a big day of it.

PS: He will be safer at a GSSF match than playing soccer for 1.5 hours.

3. glkdawg45

glkdawg45

Like Mike said,"You transport the firearm", and there shouldn't be any problems.
    After my first match, and seeing a father with his daughter, I've started bringing my step-daughter to the matches. Four so far, and she really enjoys it.

4. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Well it is 20+ intown miles each way for this. I got to thinking.. (bad thing I know) But if his dad lockes gun in case with combo lock and tells me combo on cell phone (son does NOT know combo) and puts this in car trunk. I have to unlock case at range....
    Would that still be posession? He would not have access.... Just trying to save time and he lives IMO a hard place for me to get to.
    Guess I will just drive.