FL conceal carry in a purse

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by cmac212, Feb 6, 2010.

1. cmac212

cmac212 Praise Jesus!

Does anyone know the laws on carrying in a purse? My wife carries everywhere she goes (that is allowed), and it stays in her purse. She is licensed, but nowhere in the statutes (that I can find) does it specify about purse carry. Anyone seen anything on this? Thanks!

2. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Concealed is concealed. The law doesn't specify HOW you conceal it. So, yes... purse carry is fine. Just as is a fanny pack, or your pants pocket, or a holster, etc. If it can't be seen by others, it's concealed.

3. ranger1968

ranger1968

She's has a valid Florida ccw license, she's fine in the purse, as stated, concealed means concealed, and they wrote the 790 section intentionally vague so as not to limit carry options to a single type/position of carry.

4. 1faSStchevy

1faSStchevy

Legal-Yes
    Good Idea-No

If someone is after money then they will snatch her purse. If they snatch her purse she is disarmed. If she is disarmed then the attacker is now armed. Also if someone is after her the weapon could be in any position inside the purse. Good chance she won't be able to find it right away and grasp it just right. Plus the added stress makes for fumbling.

5. Mr. Blandings

Mr. Blandings

Florida State Statutes Ch 790.001 Definitions:
    "on or about" - includes carry in a purse.

As mentioned, it's legal - but it may not be the best choice. Most criminals will attempt to immediately separate a female victim from her purse, either because the purse is the object of the crime (theft/robbery) or because the criminal knows that purses contain things like cell phones, pepper spray, handguns, etc... It's also harder to keep track of a handgun carried in an "off-body" manner.

6. kensteele

kensteele

Often a male may wish to carry concealed in a briefcase and sometimes that briefcase may be on the backseat but still within reach. I would think it would be better to clarify than to intentionally leave vague. I know we had to clarify our state law to make sure women and their purses were covered...even if they get separated from their purse.

7. cmac212

cmac212 Praise Jesus!

I knew it wasn't illegal for her to be carrying in the purse, I just didn't know whether it had to be in a holster or not. I've heard some different views and wasn't able to find clarification on it. And I have worried about someone snatching her purse and getting her gun...I keep telling her to carry on her body like I do, maybe I'll convince her one of these days! Thanks for the input, guys.

8. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

There are no laws or rules that dictate the use of a holster. Concealed is concealed, as we often say. Doesn't matter to the law HOW you conceal it.

That said, a gun loose in a purse is a really bad idea - not for the previous reason, which is true, of course - but because the trigger will not be protected.

9. KDawg0007

KDawg0007

My wife carries in her purse. She has a dedicated pocket specifically for her weapon. Nothing else goes in that pocket to help keep the trigger free of obstructions. Even in the best conditions the purse may be difficult for her to draw from so we are downsizing her carry weapon so she can wear it in a IWB holster. That raspberry LCP was on her must have list as soon as she saw it.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

If the alternative is not carrying and she is willing to use the tiny amount of common sense that it takes to retain the purse/gun, it's a great idea.

11. napp32

napp32

That may be true in FL; but it is not the case in GA. If carrying concealed in GA, the gun must be secured in a holster, clip, or other similar securing device; at which point the weapon may be concealed by the person's clothing, handbag, purse, briefcase, or any other closed container.

This might be an important nuance in the laws since the OP lives so close to the GA/FL state line.