close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fixing a problem I have

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by CalGlock, Mar 7, 2006.

1. CalGlock

CalGlock

I just received an old dell inspiron 8200. the kid that had it installed some new widows program. He doesn't know what he is doing. Now the thing works real slow and I can't get it to install windows XP. I have the original disk that came with it. And professonal version if I need to go that way. But it won't let me do it.I'll show you what it says then maybe you can guide me in what to do.

Is there a way to take off the old windows first then put on the one I want?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. woettinger

woettinger King Nothing

Looks like XP is installed.

3. CalGlock

CalGlock

But it's not working right. So I would like to reinstall if needed.
    How do I delete the one that is in there now?

4. woettinger

woettinger King Nothing

I understand now.

If you can boot to the CD, you can install it that way. You will lose of programs/data on the drive now.

5. CalGlock

CalGlock

It lets me boot to the new disk but only lets me get to the point in the picture at the top. How do I get rid of the one that is in there now? This kid messed this computer up. So I know a complete reinstall will fix it. I've done it many times on other comps. But never had this show up before.
    They just gave the computer to me so I'm going to make it work if I can. It's still looks like it is brand new. And when he got it, it works pretty darn fast when it was working right working right.

6. Ljunatic

Ljunatic On The Fringe

You may have to uninstall any service packs that are installed before the restore.

7. woettinger

woettinger King Nothing

You might have to delete the /windows to do a full install. Make sure you do not have an upgrade disk.

8. Perrito

Perrito Millennium Member

If it is booting from the CD it should give you the option to reformat the partition that XP will be installed to. If you didn't see a choice to format partitions, maybe it is not booting from the CD at all, but booting from the hard disk, loading windows, and then autoplaying the CD.

9. CalGlock

CalGlock

Well, I fixed that part. It was removing SP2 that did it. Now the dial up doesn't seem to be connecting. It's working fast now with the old factory settings. How or what can I check to see what's going on with the dail up conection? Thanks, Ljunatic :)
    Seems I remeber there is a way to check your out going signal if I remeber right. But I don't remember how, it's been so long.

Update, I fixed it ;) ;f